Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor fires only on one side?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default motor fires only on one side?

does anyone know could cause my engine to fire on 2 4 6 and 8 but not on 1 3 5 and 7?

it ran fine the other day. and my buddy just came home from iraq and wanted to check it out so i went to fire it and i could hear only one side firng and the pipes on the driver side were cold.

i checked the wiring and the pink wires on each coil are get 12 volts so i figure it must be a triggering type issue, but don't know what to check.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the coil pack harness connected to the correct pack on each cylinder?

Tyler
Old 01-17-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

yeah and it ran the other day so i cant figure out what went wrong?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but each bank of injectors has it's own fuse. So if the one banks fuse blows, the whole bank dies.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

but its not the injectors. i checked it with a timing light and have no spark on the entire left bank. i just cant think of anything that would signal one side to fire and not the other. i hope my pcm didnt die.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

if my batt voltage is a little low could that cause weird stuff like that? i have been running it without the alt connected here and there. and its reading just over 11 volts.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leonpiper69
if my batt voltage is a little low could that cause weird stuff like that?
Pretty unlikely. You can charge the batt. to find out for sure, but I'd think that would affect both sides relatively equally.

I'm still on the "steep part" of the learning curve WRT these engines, but I'd say look at those things where each bank of the engine is handled by a separate part/sensor - things like like coil or injector harness connections, grounds, etc.

Honestly, the 1st question that comes to mind for me is "Has anything changed recently?"

EDIT: Here's a "dumb" question for ya - if you swap the coil harness connection over from one side to the other (or swap coils/parts), does the problem follow the swapped parts? (I'm still in the 'parts gathering' phase of my build, so if swapping coil harness sides isn't possible, try not to laugh too hard...)

Good luck.

Last edited by V8Rumble; 01-17-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

the only thing diff since it ran is i relocated the part of the harness for the driver 02 sensor, because it was down by the alt and i "carefully" cut the old factory tape holding it together and rerouted that.

i looked for any cuts in the wire, my bud checked too and we found nothing.
plus even if i had cut one wire it would still run on the other 3 coils on that side, no?

next im going to trace the 4 wires that trigger each coil from the pcm to the coil and make sure i have a connection, it just drives me nuts cuz think that we will a waste because if one didnt have a connection, again the other 3 should still fire.

maybe i'll just pull my hair out, i need a hair cut anyway.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the coil ground for that side. You could easily pull it off the back of the head when rerouting wires
Old 01-17-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only thing diff since it ran is i relocated the part of the harness for the driver 02 sensor, because it was down by the alt and i "carefully" cut the old factory tape holding it together and rerouted that.
OK, I'm not saying that you did anything wrong, but the latest change is almost always the best place to start. Doesn't sound like that should've done it, but...

i looked for any cuts in the wire, my bud checked too and we found nothing.
plus even if i had cut one wire it would still run on the other 3 coils on that side, no?
Unless what was cut was a single path for a common ground, or something similar... (Again, I don't know, just thinking out loud...) If you're able to do a continuity test, that should tell for sure.

(Heh - xssive & I are on the same page...)

next im going to trace the 4 wires that trigger each coil from the pcm to the coil and make sure i have a connection, it just drives me nuts cuz think that we will a waste because if one didnt have a connection, again the other 3 should still fire.
Maybe... (I really need to get a shop manual for the LSx engines...) I'm sure that someone will chime in soon who's got specific knowledge, & we'll both learn a bit...
Old 01-17-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by xssive
Check the coil ground for that side. You could easily pull it off the back of the head when rerouting wires

where is the coil ground for that side? i thought all the grounds were the 3 pcm grounds on the back of the pass head?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

i think my pcm is fried! i have good grouns and 12 volts at all coils. and i checked continuity from the pcm connector to the actual coils and its all good. so the pcm itself must not be telling the coils to fire?

Quick Reply: motor fires only on one side?