Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Into 3rd Gen Guidelines and help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Into 3rd Gen Guidelines and help.

I plan on doing a 98 Ls1 swap into a third gen when the weather gets warmer out. I just have a few questions that hopefully you guys have the answer for.

Mounting:

I am going to be using the 82-92 Camaro/Firebird LS1 Conversion Motor Mounts with Transmission Crossmember from Hawks Third Gen
http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...OD&ProdID=1344

I have not decided if I am going to run AC or not. I have never had AC in a car before, so I am used to it. That will help with the K member clearance issues hopefully.

I am undecided if I am going to get Truck coils for the passenger side. Opinions? Suggestions?

Will my Aluminum drive shaft from a 98z be reusable?

What are my options are far as a Torque arm? Will a stock 3rd or 4th gen work with a 4L60e?

Engine:

I know wiring is going to be a PITA, but I have a lot of info and will be doing the majority of the wiring myself.

OR

I could skip out on a lot of that and Carb the LS1. Opinions? Suggestions?

If I do stay FI, I will need to work out the fuel delivery issues. As far as fuel lines, I understand that I will need a regulator and various other misc parts, so I was think of swapping in my 4th gen tank into the third gen, which would only require me to replace the hard lines. Options? Suggestions?

I will be using the stock manifolds for the motor and I have not quite decided on the Y-Pipe clearance problem yet.

I think these are the basics. Feel free to chime in. I am young and need to learn from others before I make my own mistakes.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carb makes things so much easyer
Old 01-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slick1851
Carb makes things so much easyer
So if I go carb, what would need to be done as far as engine wiring and fuel delivery?
Old 01-27-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stay with the fuel injection. It's not that hard to plumb all the stuff. And the wiring is not that hard. If you don't have air conditioning, then don't worry about the coils...just use the LS1 coils. You can use your driveshaft and torque arm. You didn't say what year your car was...if it is a fuel injected car you can keep your gas tank and lines. Just get a big fuel pump for the thirdgen. The easiest way to do the fuel lines would be just to make some braided lines to go from the hard lines in the engine bay to an aftermarket fuel rail with an adjustable regulator.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

I have not picked out the receiving car yet. Its hard finding a rust free/little rust car in Southern Illinois.

What do you mean by an aftermarket fuel rail?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=238
That's what I mean by aftermarket fuel rails. It's easier to make all your fuel connections with those. The stock fuel rail does not have a return on it. With the aftermarket ones you can to the send and return easily.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

So I would just basically go hard lines, to a regulator, to the new fuel rails, then they go to injectors? I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to FI cars.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will go from the feed hard line to a regulator, to the rails, and then rail to rail, then from rail to the return hard line.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds Simple enough.

Basically my biggest concern is the wiring of the vehicle. I am probably going to contact Speartech and see what they can do
Old 01-27-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

It will generally cost you more to go to the carb than to sit down and modify your harness. Keep the F.I. and enjoy the milage. I highly recomend you call John at Speartech if you don't want to tackle the harness yourself. He is a great guy.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, so I will stick with the FI. Now its a matter of the wiring and finding the right car.

Looking at some sites, is it worth the 400+ dollars to shave off 30 pounds by ordering a new K member? What I was wanting to do is get another k member, modify that one with the motor mounts and such, then lifting the car off of the old motor and sliding the LS1 underneath it. Suggestions? Opinions?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a LS1 powered thirdgen and I would say keep the stock K member. The LS1 is already light enough and will cause your front end to sit a little bit higher than normal not that noticable but would probably bee even more if you put the lighter K member in.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I went with the tubular k-member...but I had my reasons. I say if you are not going with air conditioning and you don't have the extra cash, then stick with stock. You can always change that later if you want. The wiring is not that bad at all. There is some good info in the stickies here, and there are enough of us that have done it that when you get ready to do it you should be able to get all the info you need.

You can do the motor from the bottom on these cars, but it's not quite as easy as the 4th gens. With them you can literally roll everything away if you leave the wheels on. On the third gens the suspension kind of folds up when you drop the k-member. But I did mine from the bottom and it was easy enough.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Eighty7camarokid
Mounting:

I am going to be using the 82-92 Camaro/Firebird LS1 Conversion Motor Mounts with Transmission Crossmember from Hawks Third Gen
http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...OD&ProdID=1344
Just an FYI - there are less-expensive options for motor mounts out there...
Old 01-28-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

also, if you use ls1 intake rails, just turn them around and grind a little to make'em fit...then the fuel inlet will be on the same side as your 3rd gen fuel rails. my buddy did a 3rd gen swap and did not replace the tank or anything, just installed a healthy in-line pump and regulator. stock rails and tank. i think he bought the motor mounts from hawk's, they're very nice pieces.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:47 AM
Staging Lane

Another question: I really like my Loudmouth 2 that is attached to the motor. Would I be able to use the catback part and try to modify the Y pipe?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sure, I don't see any reason why you couldn't. In fact, I'm fairly sure that I read somewhere that 3rdgen & 4thgen cat-backs are interchangeable...
Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Teching In

whats the advantage to running it as a return style system?
Old 01-30-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Sure, I don't see any reason why you couldn't. In fact, I'm fairly sure that I read somewhere that 3rdgen & 4thgen cat-backs are interchangeable...
Yes and no. They are the same shape, however they join to the y-pipes differently and will require modification's at the joint there for them to work.

Ive got a 4th gen LT1 Magnaflow catback in my iroc.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

"Returnless" system is easier to plumb, though it still has a return line. You just don't have to route it as far. The biggest Disadvantage in a returnless fuel rail is that you don't always have the coolest, densest fuel at the injector. It you are not trying to squeek that last bit of HP though, not really worth the work. I believe all systems from about 98 are returnless, but for heavens sake don't quote me on that...

Quick Reply: LS1 Into 3rd Gen Guidelines and help.