Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone who has swapped a LSX motor in a 70 A Body?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone who has swapped a LSX motor in a 70 A Body?

Im looking at swapping in a carbed LSX motor into my 70 Chevelle. I already have a built motor and looking at just adding the carb, intake, and MSD controller.

Who makes headers for this swap?

What motor mounts did you use?

What type of modifications were made to the body?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look at several builds on the site covering 68-72 A bodies...
Old 01-30-2008, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

hooker makes headers and mounts...
Old 01-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by maddboost
Im looking at swapping in a carbed LSX motor into my 70 Chevelle. I already have a built motor and looking at just adding the carb, intake, and MSD controller.

Who makes headers for this swap?

What motor mounts did you use?

What type of modifications were made to the body?
Edelbrock Make Stainless Headers and Mounts
Like already stated Hooker makes them
These are the only two long tubes headers I know about.
I am going with the edelbrock, they are planned to ship Feb 15th 2008.

I originally bought the S&P pan and was going to use their mounts. I will continue to use the pan and use the edelbrock mounts. I will probably have to cut and notch the frame for my ac compressor.

I was already running a Tremec TKO 500 so I had cut the tunnel. I think if you use the T56 or 4L60E or 4L65E you will have to at least massage the tunnel to get it to fit.

In my opinion I wouldn't run a carb and the MSD kit but each to their own. You will be happier with the EFI when all is said and done.

Thanks

Ben
Old 01-31-2008, 03:28 PM

im putting a ls2 in a 67 chevelle. im going to use the camaro oil pan with a modification to clear the cross member. I want to use the GM serpentine belts . please post pix of the frame when you cut it for the ac . can you use the new ac compressor with the old condenser and evaporator. the alt will have to be moved to top of eng to clear the steering box. the gm pulleys and corvette is on top of the ps unit. what kind of fuel pump are you going to use. one in the tank or an inline
Old 01-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tennesseecrusader
im putting a ls2 in a 67 chevelle. im going to use the camaro oil pan with a modification to clear the cross member. I want to use the GM serpentine belts . please post pix of the frame when you cut it for the ac . can you use the new ac compressor with the old condenser and evaporator. the alt will have to be moved to top of eng to clear the steering box. the gm pulleys and corvette is on top of the ps unit. what kind of fuel pump are you going to use. one in the tank or an inline
Not sure on using the new compressor with the old AC. I am buying a Classic Air Auto system without the compressor and running the Stock Corvette AC compressor.

There are posts if you dig enough about cutting the frame for the compressor. (I plan to post a article with the whole swap)

I will be running an in tank unit definitely. I would not consider a inline fuel tank. Ricks or Rock valley with fp in tank.

I have an LS2 with the corvette serpentine so the Alternator problem is already solved for me.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I finished my swap about a year ago.. there are many ongoing swap on this forum.. you can follow mine in my Cardomain site, the link is in my sig.. It is a 71' with a stock 99' backed up by a Viper T56.

Search on Chevelle, A-Body, etc.. or some of the A-body user names.. Stealth71 (and others) has a ongoing thread that has many good picture and info that may help you.

There no one swap that is the same.. just research and plan your swap with what you will learn.

If you specific question, ask away and we A-body guys will be more than glad to assist.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

im putting an ls in my 69 chevelle, had it all mocked up, now apart for body & paint
i used the hooker mounts and headers, great fit
i used the caddy cts oil pan, great fit, but steering lock to lock minor interference with tie rods, will deal with that after motor reinstall
i used the corvette front drive setup, mainly because i am using a procharger. and i wanted to use the vette setup, also have the intercooler mounted in fron, almost hidden with grill/bumper
i am using a carb/msd to start, because i am **** about computers, (had a bunch of carb'ed prochargers) and prob cost $2000 to convert over to f/i, figure in computer, wiring, injectors, etc
i will convert one day though, just want to get things up and running first
for a trans i am using a switch pitch turbo 400(dual stall, old school) one day i will switch over to a 4l80e, also pretty expensive
i just bought a neat 1/2" in/out fuel pickup/gauge from a place in Nevada, i think i have the first one shipped, has a #8 on both tubes
i am going to use a fuel pump that will work on the carb, then later change reg to work with f/i, prob an a1000-gonna do a little homework on that though
Old 02-01-2008, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are quite a few good threads on here. I'm actually gonna get my *** into the garage this weekend. Check my sig for the link.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

SLP Mounts and shortie headers hear.