Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls2 into s14(240sx) advice

Old 02-03-2008, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls2 into s14(240sx) advice

Hey Ive been on this forum for a few months now. I have not posted much I mostly read and use it for research, but with the project of my dreams becoming a near reality I need some advice. I might be getting a sweet deal on a 06 gto with 18000 miles on it. I will have access to all the parts i need from the donor car i.e. pedals, gauge cluster, harnesses, ac lines, powersteering lines, etc. Is the drive by wire system something I should try to retain, and how hard would it be to get the ac and the powersteering going. Also would i be able to use things like the gto fuel pump and clutch slave cylinder because my car is an automatic (1997 240sx ). Any advice is appreciated. Any ideas of things I should get from the donor car to cut cost for me is what im kinda looking for.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Im in the same boat as you - 06GTO into S14

DBW - Im going to try to keep it
AC - trash, no care
PS - custom lines. there should be a thread somewhere, but basically get -6an line and needed fittings.
fuel pump - Im going with Walbro
Clutch salve - comes with trans, so you're keeping it
Clutch master - Willwood - plenty of threads about it
Old 02-03-2008, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

can the guage cluster be used? And do you think any thong else like gto radiator & fans etc can be used???
Old 02-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Im going with Griffin radiator + FAL fans, works on my SR in the S13. Summit has them for $200. Don't know about OEM GTO one would fit or not.
As far as gauge cluster, keeping OEM S14 gauges. Can't afford stack/racepack
Speedo need a Dakota digital converter to work, tach works w.o issues (LSx uses 4cyl signal), water temp needs nissan temp sensor installed.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

when is your project gonna start?
when it does please post pics and info especially about the wiring because sure my friends and i can handle putting the motor in but we are not to sure about the wiring. I haven't really seen anyone post to much info about wiring every body just says it easy
Old 02-06-2008, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Is this equipment coming out of a wrecked GTO? I was just thinking if it's a good condition GTO, I'd put the money into Monaro parts for it instead of swapping into an S14. Just my take.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TR GTO
Is this equipment coming out of a wrecked GTO? I was just thinking if it's a good condition GTO, I'd put the money into Monaro parts for it instead of swapping into an S14. Just my take.
Actually i was a totally mint gto nothing wrong with it my friend said he just felt like taking the motor out and putting it in his s13 240sx...then some guys came and bought the shell from him and im picking up the motor

also im an import guy i dont do american cars except corvettes, and caddy's lsx powered

Last edited by RUTH'LESSDET; 02-06-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

you arent gonna be able to use much other than the engine/trans from the GTO

everything else is aftermarket or custom.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RUTH'LESSDET
when is your project gonna start?
when it does please post pics and info especially about the wiring because sure my friends and i can handle putting the motor in but we are not to sure about the wiring. I haven't really seen anyone post to much info about wiring every body just says it easy
My new Chassis is getting picked up around 15th. A week or so later I expect to have it in my buddies garage.
Chassis prep will be first, than ordering parts (some already ordered), than fitting the engine/etc. Should be sometime in March that some actual progress should occur. Till than I'm looking up all the info I can think of.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kamin
you arent gonna be able to use much other than the engine/trans from the GTO

everything else is aftermarket or custom.
thanks alot dude, can you chime in on wiring also.......GREAT swap i read most of your swap thread sweet
Old 02-07-2008, 04:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SirWarrior
My new Chassis is getting picked up around 15th. A week or so later I expect to have it in my buddies garage.
Chassis prep will be first, than ordering parts (some already ordered), than fitting the engine/etc. Should be sometime in March that some actual progress should occur. Till than I'm looking up all the info I can think of.
Custom mounts or a kit??
Old 02-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Have you seen this site? Alot of info on LS1 int 240sx.

http://silviav8forums.com/forum/index.php

This site has kits and do wiring too.

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/partsMain.htm
Old 02-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

i heard hinson stuff sucks
Old 02-08-2008, 05:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by axe3112
Have you seen this site? Alot of info on LS1 int 240sx.

http://silviav8forums.com/forum/index.php

This site has kits and do wiring too.

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/partsMain.htm
Yeah I have been on these sites quite a bit but im doing an ls2 dbw into an 97 s14 not a ls1
Old 02-08-2008, 05:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BLKLS1240SX
i heard hinson stuff sucks
A friend of mine has the headers from hinson and it is beautiful nice welds looks perfect. He also has the mounts and i willbe taking a look at those this weekend. cant vouch for that yet.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Hinson kit does weird stuff like add spacers to xmember/etc.
If I go custom - its going to be solid mounted.
If I can modify stock KA/GTO mounts to work, thats great. but it looks like full custom ones are going to be easier/less PITA.
I'll try to get a urethane bushing in the trans mount.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SirWarrior
Hinson kit does weird stuff like add spacers to xmember/etc.
If I go custom - its going to be solid mounted.
If I can modify stock KA/GTO mounts to work, thats great. but it looks like full custom ones are going to be easier/less PITA.
I'll try to get a urethane bushing in the trans mount.
Im trying to figure out why everybody hates the hinson parts (obviously the price) they look functional to me. And since im not a fabricator it seems more feasible for me @ this point. But by all means there are tons of ways to cut cost with this swap.
I saw my friend hinson mount kit last night and yeah i saw the spacers for the subframe...didnt really know what that was all about but everything else was really nice. I saw the headers and they are sick the motor mounts look like stock gm parts, the tranny mounts looked kinda funny looking to me but I figured out why it looks the way it does.

hEADER

hinson x member and mounts

hinson mounts

X-MEMBER

SORRY ABOUT THE CRAPPY CELLPHONE PICS

Last edited by RUTH'LESSDET; 02-09-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Actually i was a totally mint gto nothing wrong with it my friend said he just felt like taking the motor out and putting it in his s13 240sx...then some guys came and bought the shell from him and im picking up the motor

also im an import guy i dont do american cars except corvettes, and caddy's lsx powered
That's cool, to each their own, but I wouldn't say a GTO is a domestic.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I have been on these sites quite a bit but im doing an ls2 dbw into an 97 s14 not a ls1

why do you want to keep DBW? its just going to give you headaches. it would be 1000xxx easier to just get a manual TB.

thanks for the comments on my swap, as for the wiring its not too difficult. only have to add a few power sources, wire the DLC and some other little things. it should be the least of your worries at this point haha
Old 02-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Im trying to figure out why everybody hates the hinson parts (obviously the price) they look functional to me. And since im not a fabricator it seems more feasible for me @ this point. But by all means there are tons of ways to cut cost with this swap.
For me its not that I hate Hinson or anything, I don't know them or dealt with them.
its all about cost. I could perfectly pay someone to do the swap, but that would be no fun. Also supporting a someone local is going to be better for you in the long run, as if there are any issues, you got someone who can help, vs telephone support.

The hinson mounts look nice, the cross member is modified like every other swap. headers are pretty, but not worth $800+ pricetag.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls2 into s14(240sx) advice