Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most Blockhuggingness headers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 11:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Most Blockhuggingness headers?

My Vega has the most, serious problem with header clearance. is there any headers that someone would recomend. i was debating on a flaming river 3 joint steering shaft system, that would deffinately help alot, the probably is the steering shaft is 2-3'' from the exhaust port and its directly straight out from it. so it has to be a tight bend or going with a $300.00 steering shaft kit which i not 100% sure if its going to help alot unless i can cut the column and put a joint just inside the firewall.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hedman LS block huggers were the tightest I could find.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

YOu might check out Sanderson, they make some pretty tight headers.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Launching!

We used Sanderson -- really tight fit, and their 15degree collector flanges really helped

see our build of an LS1 into a 1986 BMW E30

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...=699289&page=4
Old 02-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Teching In

You really should plan on moving the steering. Otherwise the bends are going to be really tight (think elbows). Consider a 1.5 inch diameter tube. Including the wall thickness, flange thickness and allowing for some engine movement you're looking at about a 1/2 inch bend radius if you have 3 inches to work with

You might consider an offest steering coupler (see Wizard Fabrication for an example). Another option is to position the engine forwards or backwards to get the steering shaft between exhaust ports.

Whatever you do, get 100K mile plugs because they're going to be a PITA to change.

Good luck - you've got a cool project.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other good thing about Sanderson is they will work with you if you need to modify existing headers. I ordered mine without finish, then after we had them done I sent them back and the Sanderson folks ceramic coated them for me for just $120. And they had them back to me in less than a week! And for $20, they also sent me a box full of scrap bends to use when we were welding up the mods. The wall thickness of their headers is also good for welding. One of the office ladies is a bit gruff to deal with, but once you get to the technical folks they are as helpful as can be.

Pat
Old 02-04-2008, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah i am highly thinking of relocating the shaft. the passenger side isnt too bad, i could almost fit a F-body header there. and this car might develop into a drag car so i am thinking of a block hugger style long tube. i know that sounds stupid but why not???

its not that this car is a "project car" it was already finished, im just redoing things lol.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

I just put the hooker block hugger headers out of summit on my Ls1, in my 81 chevy truck and the hookers hug the **** out of the block. But they are also pretty small primaries and are pretty close to the starter, will have to see how they turnout..

Quick Reply: Most Blockhuggingness headers?