Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P/S Pump - Still need help with low pressure line.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default P/S Pump - Still need help with low pressure line.

I still need help finding what I'm missing on my power steering pump. I am trying to connect the short line from my reservoir down to the pump. It appears that the line is hose clamped on both ends But my pump port does not have a hose barb on it. Also, it is not threaded so how can I connect hose to it. I went to the dealer and they were not much help. They showed a hose with clamps for both ends but their pic of the pump wasn't clear.

I've included a pic of the port on my pump. It's a recessed port, about 3/4 inch and does not have threads or hose barb.

ALSO, IF ANYONE HAS A JUNK P/S PUMP THAT I CAN GET THIS PART OFF OF, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

THANKS
Attached Thumbnails P/S Pump - Still need help with low pressure line.-img_0071.jpg  
Old 02-04-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What front acc setup did it come from ? car/truck and year ?

My 1st guess would be that the barb has been broken off of the reservoir.. if you know the car/truck and year.. go to the nearest autozone, kragen or parts store and have them pull one out of stock to verify that the barb should already be attached..

I recall you or someone else asking or posting before.. but I don't recall reading all of the details..
Old 02-04-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On at least the F-car pump, the reservoir is plastic, and I believe "plugs into" that port directly. It sounds like you're mounting a remote reservoir.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is a '01 vette engine and I'm running vette accessories where the p/s pump and alternator are on one bracket on the drivers side. The reservoir sits on a small bracket right above the pump so the hose is prolly about 3-5 inches long. The reservoir has a 5/8hose barb.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brains
On at least the F-car pump, the reservoir is plastic, and I believe "plugs into" that port directly. It sounds like you're mounting a remote reservoir.
Maybe I have a F-body pump if they are different than the vette. The pump came in a box of parts with the motor but it was not mounted since the alt/ps bracket did not come with motor. The pump bolted right up to the vette alt/ps bracket and the bracket was notched in the right place for the pump so I thought I had the right pump. I guess I better make a trip to the parts house.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

The F-body pump has a plastic fitting with a 3/8" barb molded into the resevoir from the factory. Nothing to screw or press in. i just hooked a hose up with a spring clamp to mine Friday.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yep, it looks like I have an F-body pump since it does not have a hose barb for the vette reservoir line. Since it is not the pressure side, maybe I can come up with a way to put a hose barb on it without leaking.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yup, sounds like an F-body pump. You'll know for sure if you have mis-matched F-body and Vette accessories though, the belt won't quite line up right either The Vette accessories run the belt ever so slightly closer to the block.

Quick Reply: P/S Pump - Still need help with low pressure line.