Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone legthen their factory harness?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone legthen their factory harness?

I want to mount my ECM inside the cab, anyone done theirs?
Old 02-05-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default harness

i had lt1wiring extend my harness by two feet when they reworked my harness for stand-alone. I've read of members doing it themselves but i dont have the time and patience for it. The ECM looks out of place inside the engine compartment in my opinion. Don't have a review since I haven't completed the car yet.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will mount mine inside with a stock length harness:

Old 02-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

i helped lengthen the harness on a friends lt1 firebird to relocate the pcm and hide all the engine bay wiring...its not too bad....just snip and extend lol
Old 02-05-2008, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stealth71
I will mount mine inside with a stock length harness:

there is quite a bit of wire there, that would be plenty long enough. all the factory setups i see the the main wire exiting at the front of the drivers side by the alt. maybe I could reroute it to the rear of the eng and keep it all under the cover.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

that's a brilliant idea!

i think i may try to find a way to incorporate that into my z28 simply for the show factor!
Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

F-body harnesse will reach behind the firewall no problem, at least LT1's. I've only looked at 2 ls1 harnesses and I don't remember them...

From the PCM to the rear of passanger side head, the harness bundle makes a big S sort of. Closer to the PCM is a bundle that goes down to the starter, (usually has heat tape around it) and has the knock sensor connector, bank2 o2 sensor, and a ground. Route these wires backinto the main bundle to the back of the cylinder head, then extend them about 12" and they will reach back down to the starter area.

now you can straighten out the harness. From back of cylinder head there will be over 3 feet of harness to the PCM. Make a hole in the firewall with a grommet and you're set.

I have taken apart the vortec truck harnesses and rebuilt them with blank PCM connectors. I can place the PCM on the floorboard passanger side of my 67 pickup now. Actually had to shorten more wires the extend doing this. You just have to COMPELTELY take apart the harness to do it. But it's the cleanest I've seen a truck harness.

attached is a ls1 harness, and vortec truck harness
Attached Thumbnails anyone legthen their factory  harness?-ls1-harness-large-.jpg   anyone legthen their factory  harness?-custom_5.3_2-large-.jpg   anyone legthen their factory  harness?-custom_5.3_3-large-.jpg  
Old 02-06-2008, 06:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by busta9876
F-body harnesse will reach behind the firewall no problem, at least LT1's. I've only looked at 2 ls1 harnesses and I don't remember them...

From the PCM to the rear of passanger side head, the harness bundle makes a big S sort of. Closer to the PCM is a bundle that goes down to the starter, (usually has heat tape around it) and has the knock sensor connector, bank2 o2 sensor, and a ground. Route these wires backinto the main bundle to the back of the cylinder head, then extend them about 12" and they will reach back down to the starter area.

now you can straighten out the harness. From back of cylinder head there will be over 3 feet of harness to the PCM. Make a hole in the firewall with a grommet and you're set.

I have taken apart the vortec truck harnesses and rebuilt them with blank PCM connectors. I can place the PCM on the floorboard passanger side of my 67 pickup now. Actually had to shorten more wires the extend doing this. You just have to COMPELTELY take apart the harness to do it. But it's the cleanest I've seen a truck harness.

attached is a ls1 harness, and vortec truck harness
thanks for the info. this seems easy enough and I am no stranger to wiring harness work. at least on stock vehicles, I completely rewired 2 town cars last year. talk about wires. now I just need to find out what wires need relays and power. I think i may have read that in another post.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had all the looms off the harness and just rerouted it to the rear of the engine and through the firewall:

Old 02-06-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Stealth71 - where did you get the firewall grommet?