Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 Camaro with Katech Street Attack 427

Old 09-11-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty cool car, Should have made your exhaust tips come out a little more, exhaust will blacken the paint around them. And to the comments like 10 pages back about the headers....yes they look nice....and its pretty easy to make a weld look like that by hand if you have experience tig welding.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

confused at to the reason of putting the coils so low? would it have been just as easy to mount them low like either frame rail? Id just be worried of hitting something and boom car wont run.

Other than that this is an amazing project and very beautiful.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS240sx
confused at to the reason of putting the coils so low? would it have been just as easy to mount them low like either frame rail? Id just be worried of hitting something and boom car wont run.

Other than that this is an amazing project and very beautiful.
The coils are protected by the spoiler and are not exposed at all. Packaging is so tight there just were not any better options that we could find that did not look out of place. We tried a bunch of places but just weren't happy with any of the other alternatives.

If we hit something hard enough to jeoprodize the coils the front shocks are probably toast as well, as is the radiator and probably the dry sump tank...
Old 09-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Well we are working hard on getting the car together and are making more and more headway every day.

On Monday we were fortunate enough to borrow some awesome new scales from the guys at Tunerworks in Calgary, AB. We used the wireless Longacre scales to corner weight the car for a baseline to get the Penske shocks blueprinted next week:

Old 09-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Once we were done with the scales, we sent the car to the upholstry shop to get the carpet, headliner, and trunk finished up while we wait for the rest of the interior to come together. He finished up with the car this morning and did a nice, clean job.

The trunk was simple and efficient, I wanted to maintain a (modern) factory like finish and think that it hit the mark:

Old 09-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Launching!

The headliner is obviously a little more difficult to show but here it is. We started with a seriously flawed piece from TopShop that needed to be extensively reworked. Although the entire process was more hassle than we had hoped, the finished product came out well.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Launching!

With the first round of interior work done it was back in the shop and back up in the air to continue the assembly. Lots of small stuff going on all the same time but our focus for the weekend will be on the wiring and getting the car ready to fire next week.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Littlefuse and I-Squared have provided one of their increadible new ISIS power distribution/management systems for the car. The kit is increadibly complete and represents the absolute state of the art for wiring and control. I will be posting the step by step install of the system on the forums and with more detail on our wbsite as the installation goes forward over the next week. For now here are a couple of sneak peaks at the ISIS kit:

The heart of the ISIS System is the Mastercell which acts as a control hub for all of the downstream functions in the car. The programmablity of the Mastercell gives the entire system increadible power as it allows for multiple switches to control individual loads (like electric fans) and car incorporate soft starts for loads like Halogen or projector lights.

A single Mastercell can control up to five "Powercell" modules which is the muscle behind the Mastercell brain. CAN bus technology connects the Powercells to the Mastercell and reduces both the quantity of wiring required as well as the time needed for the installation.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

This is hands down THE best/highest quality Camaro build I think I've ever seen, and it's Canadian to boot!

Could this be Albertan oil money fueling the project??
Old 09-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Launching!

We did a little bit of a cleanup in the engine compartment yesterday, replacing the factory fuel rails with a pair of billet rails. Like most of their parts, they came anodized bright red which was a little too bright for my taste so we had the rails sent to Pacific Coast Anodizing in Fresno, CA to be stripped and recoated in Black Hardcoat. Rodger from Ironworks was kind enough to check on them while they were there (or something like that) and they came out great...

in addition to tidying things up a bit, they will alllow us to ... try some different intake combinations ... not that I would be tempted to do something like that...

Old 09-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Chris also got done polishing the hood. The carbon fiber proved to be really challenging to get to paint quality but, as with everything else on the car, Chris put in an awesome effort and got it as smooth and straight as the rest of the car...

The underside will get one more coat of clear - most likely a semigloss - on the natural carbon tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:08 AM
10 Second Club

Damn! That's one hell of a build! Very nice!!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:25 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this build is awesome. You also missed my question quite a few months ago.

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Where does all the money associated with this project come from? Is this all privately invested or is the vehicle being sponsored by multiple companies?

PS: I wish I could weld like that.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

I can't wait to see it finish !!!!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Launching!

Ok... so it wasn't "one more" coat of clear... it was four more coats. Coupled with the previous six coats of clear that Chris laid down earlier there are a total of ten coat on the natural carbon fiber underside of the hood. The four today are have a semigloss finish similar to all of the grey used on the rest of the car. The first six coats were needed to clean up some irregulaties in the cowl assembly.

We'll finish up some details underneath tonight and then set the hood aside until it goes on in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Launching!

We also made some great headway on the wiring... we built the rear wiring harness and spotted the ISIS power fuses and rear Powercell...

Tomorrow we'll be working toward locating the Powercell for the front harness and the Mastercell which provides the control for the two Powercells. I hope to have an update on the webpage documenting the install up in a couple of days. The more I explore the potential of the ISIS System the more impressed I am with it's capabilities. We'll also be programming the Push Button Start "personality" once we have everything together.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Beautiful work like always. Can't wait to see the completion of the car. Some of those CNC parts could definitely be at PRI!
Old 09-24-2008, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Who did the trunk work, look great, something different,
Old 09-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Teching In

that car is one of the sickest cars i have ever seen, when the magazine groups see it, they will be beating down your door to do a feature on it. congrats and keep posting!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

nice work, project is insane

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1967 Camaro with Katech Street Attack 427