Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running super rich and dosent want to idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running super rich and dosent want to idle

I have an 04 gto ls1 in a taco .I sent my harness away and had it thined out and computer flashed to remove vats and smog and change shift points .I got evrything wired in exept my gagues which I am waiting on .when I start it it dosent want to idle but if I hold it for about a minute it will idle but smokes black smoke and burns my eyes .I put in new o2 sensors and that didnt do anything .the motor only had 16k when I bought it so everything should be good .I tried to reset the iac .it did not help.any help would be awsome as I am going crazy !!!!
Old 02-09-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the MAP sensor, and also check for vacuum leaks. Did you conect or cap the vacuum for the brake booster?
Old 02-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Teching In

booster ,plug it for now .where does the map get vacum from ?
Old 02-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Teching In

also I have a cheap code reader and Its not pulling codes .can this be a coolant issue ?
Old 02-10-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

The MAP is attached to the back of the intake manifold. We had a similiar issue with our first start because the MAF wasn't plugged in well, and we had broken the ground wire on the MAP sensor connector. I don't think the coolant would have this problem from a cold start. Also, the O2 sensors can't be to blame at a cold start, as the unit is running in open loop until it hits temp. That is why I would think of vacuum issues...
Old 02-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Teching In

I finally got the air out of the coolant lines and now it runs better but still isnt right I will chek for vac leaks thanks
Old 02-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Teching In

okay no vac leaks .its hard to start but if I hold the throttle it runs and idles but still rich and if I rev it up it wants to stall then idles at like 300-500rpm I also went over the wires and no wiring problems or codes.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

My 33 did the same thing your talking about, until I drove i for a while, then ran EXCELLENT all summer long, then I parked it for the winter, battery went totally dead (another problem for later) and now its doing that again. Won't idle, have to keep your foot on the gas to keep it running. Did that until it reached operating temprature, all I'm saying is you might want to let it run a while till the fuel tables straighten out. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Teching In

thanks I was wondering if that was possible .I still aint finished with it so I guess i will wait till I can drive it (@2 more weeks) to worry about that thanks again
Old 02-10-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you have the exhaust installed or is it open pipes right now? If you have open exhaust the fresh air circulating around the 02's in between exhaust pulses will drive the pcm nuts since it is trying to adjust the fuel mixture based off of what the o2's are telling it what's going on.

Quick Reply: running super rich and dosent want to idle