Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

third gen long tube header

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default third gen long tube header

hey, i know i was told that the ls1 headers will not fit with the conversion.
i also know that hawks third gen. sells a set for the swap.
but has any one tried a set of ls1 headers and a tubler k- member
reason for this is i had a set of manifolds and fabed a bassani y pipe to fit them,i just puled everything to install a k -memeber and it looks like i have all kinds of room know. if any one can help please let me know
thanks brad
Old 02-14-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I tried them...no chance in hell. You would have to re-engineer them completely. I ended up making my own because by the time I did everything else, I didn't have enough in the budget. Plus I go to make them exactly the way I wanted...no ground clearance issues.

The problem with the ls1 4th gen header is that the collector turns outward into the frame rail. If you took the headers and cut them off right before they turn toward the rear you could use the upper half. But it's more trouble than it's worth. Either stick with manifolds, buy hawks, or make your own.

I wanted to try some fox mustang ls1 swap headers, but couldn't get my hands on them at the time. They "look" like they might fit. You can also take a sbc 3rd gen header and modify it to fit the ls1.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

thanks,thats my problem i dont have enough in the budget, i belive there was a set of the mustang swap headers for sale here on the board. i might give that a try. if it works i will let everyone know if not i quess i will do what you did and make some
if you dont mind how much would you have to cut off the bottom side just some of the collecter or have to repl the whole peice
Old 02-15-2008, 06:51 AM
Launching!

interested in this too...
Old 02-15-2008, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slolt1
thanks,thats my problem i dont have enough in the budget, i belive there was a set of the mustang swap headers for sale here on the board. i might give that a try. if it works i will let everyone know if not i quess i will do what you did and make some
if you dont mind how much would you have to cut off the bottom side just some of the collecter or have to repl the whole peice
You would have to cut off the entire bottom section (primaries and collector). Where the primaries point down then turn toward the back of the car.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the hawks headers are expensive... But they are worth it if you can swing it. NO ground clearance issues. That occus with the y-pipe if you get it from him...which I highly suggest you dont. But they fit great, are stainless, and the build quality is good.

like everyone else said, the 4th gens wont work at all. And I had a set of Grots with 1-7/8" primaries with my donor 4th gen. Wanted to use them so bad. But it wasnt gnona happen. And I would have had to slice through the primaries to make them fit. Trying to weld that back up didnt really appeal to me, so I sold some left over parts and saved a little bit and got the hawks. It was really the only big spending item for the whole job.

But exhaust is one of my least favorite jobs or things to fabricate. So I was happy to spend the extra money there.

Ide like to see someone make the other headers work though. With the stang headers, I guess you'd need to change the flanges... But I do remember seeing/hearing about someone doing it with sucess.

If you decide to go a route other than hawks, keep us posted! That would really help a lot of 3rd gen guys out!

J.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

i will be keeping this up through out the whole build,like i said i just kinda throwed this together the first time so i could drive it and see where problems would be,and if for some reason if. someone wanted to run the manifolds i used a basani off road y-pipe for o1 up camaro had to do some slight mod work but fit great and had no ground clearence issues at all so that is a great way to do it if somebody just wanted to be stock. i have the y pipe off and wil get pics of it if any one wants to see how to do that
Old 02-15-2008, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

I have the hawk headers for my swap. I'm not sure if I'm happy with them honestly.

The passenger side collector is resting on the front sub frame in the trans tunnel.

I have spohn mounts, and had to shim the passenger side .75" to get the #2 primary tube off the k-member. It also leveled out the motor, since it was leaning IMHO.

I might have to try and tweak the motor mounts some towards the drivers side to get the header to quit hitting the tunnel

Oh the joys

-jason
Old 02-15-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm telling you guys, just make your own. It's cheap and that way you can make the primaries go wherever you want with as much clearance as you want. It just takes a LOT of time and patience. You could build a set and have them coated for about half the price of the hawks.

I've only made one set...ever. The ones on my car. It's intimidating, but once you get started it's really not that bad. Mine came out better than I though. I only messed up on two little spots that I had to dent in. My primaries warped from all the welding, so one side didn't fit quite as perfect as they did during mock-up.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

I would if I knew how to weld.... trust me

If I made my own, I'd use my SLP shorties as the base, and go to town. Never had fitment issues with SLP's stuff. Always top notch

shame they didn't get into the lsx swapping business

-jason
Old 02-16-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

what parts did you use in making your own?
and if you dont mind where did you pick the parts up at?
i know how to weld and have been consedering this option if i just knowed what to use and were to pick them up at
and thanks for the help
Old 02-16-2008, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

The flanges can be ordered through the gm dealer, or scoggin dickey (I've seen them a few other places but can't remember off the top of my head). The tubing and collectors you can get from a bunch of places too...speedway motors, summit, stahl headers. I like stahl because they sell a box of "bending mistakes" pretty cheap. Comes with enough tubing to do a set or so.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

cool thanks i will check them out and see what i can get
and let you know how everything turns out
Old 02-21-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Anyone figure out anything yet? Doing the Ls/Thirdgen swap now. Cant see spending that much for headers. Also i've seen pics of the Y pipe and its a pos. Vary restrictive.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default hawks headers

ive got a set of hawks stainless works LS1 swap headers WORTH EVERY FRIKEN PENNY! i slid them in from the top no problem,exelent build quality,one small clearance issue i may have to tap in the floor board an itty bitty bit to keep the driver side O2 sensor from hitting the floor.the headers themselvs dont touch anything i highly recomend them.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 91LS1T56
ive got a set of hawks stainless works LS1 swap headers WORTH EVERY FRIKEN PENNY! i slid them in from the top no problem,exelent build quality,one small clearance issue i may have to tap in the floor board an itty bitty bit to keep the driver side O2 sensor from hitting the floor.the headers themselvs dont touch anything i highly recomend them.
Same here... had to clearance the floor a bit for driver side O2. No biggie. I had tons of room on either side of my collectors. They fit 100% perfect, look great, and stainless is sweet.

Blownz28man: You are getting your money's worth out of the hawks headers. I know there are guys out there that can build their own headers....Im not one of them. To me thats A LOT of work. Especially making them look good, which was important to me. I know I couldnt do it, thats for sure.

The hawks y-pipe, unless changed, is junk. Some guys dont have restriction issues, but I did. That wasnt the worst part... The fit was the worst. Or NOT fitting I should say. But building a y-pipe is easier than headers by far.

Good luck with your build man!

J.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed a set of Hawks and fitment was perfect. It was the Hawks mounts, headers, and crossmember for T56...

If you want to make you're own, small block Ford headers have the exact same port spacing.

GM Part# 12480130, set of 2 is about $50 from gmpartsdirect shipped.

first picture is stock ford header infront of exhaust ports....
second & third is a set of Mustang Shorty Headers modified on my 5.3L engine.

When using the ford header, you will need to use a msd multi-angle boot to clear the pipes, stock plug wires will not work.
Attached Thumbnails third gen long tube header-fordhedder.jpg   third gen long tube header-53_3.jpg   third gen long tube header-53_4-large-.jpg  

Quick Reply: third gen long tube header