Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Malibu 'Vert LS/LQ Swap

Old 02-18-2008, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 72 Malibu 'Vert LS/LQ Swap

I would like any input for the appropriate engine and auto trans swap for a stock 'vert w/out AC. I have considered everything from an ls1/2 to the lq 4/9 and different auto trans options. I want to keep the car relatively mild since it is just a cruiser, but I would like to make it more driveable. I am a little concerned with the scope of the project and so I have been searching for a complete description of the project for my car. I originally considered a ram jet 350 which seemed simpler and that's still an option, but the gen 3 motors are my first choice so, any input would be appreciated.

And, has anybody had any experience with Turn Key Engine Supply www.turnkeyenginesupply.com in Oceanside, Ca? They do fairly complete packages for these motors/trans packages and I have been to their facility and it looks very impressive. Same for the Ebay seller FParts and some of the other drop out engine sellers?

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im going to do the lq4/4l80e combo for my 71 velle starting soon. Im from the "old school" w/2 BB's in my other velles. So this LS stuff is new to me also. It does seem to be alot more work than what Im used to, but maybe its just fear of the unkown.. It'll be a challenge....stay tuned.

Rick
Old 02-19-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are many A-Body that seem to be full tilt.. and other the are just great cruisers. If you search on the A-Body threads.. You will find a lot of info and pictures.. You can see my project on my Cardomain site.. link in my sig.. I went into this without any background on the Gen III/IV engine and I came out very pleased with the performance and driveablity of the end results. My engine is stock with the exception of the LS6 intake.

But there are a few ongoing project right now for the A-Bodys...

As far as the level of skills needed. mounting the engine and trans now a days if very simple and with full kits..you can drop the engine in with out a problem. Or you can just Fab up your own mounts and adapter as many have done.

You just need to plan out what your goals are and keep in mind the accessories. You can really do this on the Cheap if your budget is low or you can go with all of the bling bling show stuff.

Suggest you research 1st and then ask your question to specific areas.. that way you will get better answer to the question..as full conversion question.. there is never one that is the same (unless you buy a complete ready to go kit) and way to many way to get the job done.

good luck.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

Allright then here is some more detail:
I found a low mileage ls1/l460e from a '00 F body with trans and ecu/harness in one package that I am considering buying. Here are my questions;

Any opinions on that engine/trans combo for this application?
What is the best conversion kit available?
Will ls 7 exhaust manifolds fit? If not, what about the Edelbrock A body system?
Does anybody have any experience with the SPI/Paddock stock gas tank w/EFI compatibility?
What is the most cost effective cooling solution?

That's a good start. If I left out any obvious questions please tell me. I am trying to piece this together as much as possible before buying the motor because I don't want to figure it out afterward and realize that there is a fatal flaw. Thanks in advance for the help.
Chris
Old 03-14-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no best conversion kit at this point. There are many that are just not be marketed. Many are getting better, but as many swappers have posted both pros and cons on each one.. many have built there own or mod'd others to work. BRP list there as bolt in.. the new Edelbrock and hooker seem to be a good complete kit also.. Research the thread and make your opinons..

LS7 Corvette Exhaust Manifold will not work, they come straight down the middle of #3 and #5 and come into contact with the Xmember and frame.

You stock A-Body cooling system will work, but upgrading to a better radiator would be a good idea..
Old 03-14-2008, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Are the ls7 manifolds worth anything? I am sure he is willing to throw them in and I could resell them if that was worth it. He also mentioned the issue of the ls two post starter vs. the Gen II three post starter and the need for some additional wiring to make the key and starter compatible. I have not come across that anywhere so far, do you know if this is an issue? BTW, the ECU and wiring harness are Howell components.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 72 Malibu 'Vert LS/LQ Swap