Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mounts for 68 cutlass GM A body

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor mounts for 68 cutlass GM A body

Forgive me, I know the answers are here somewhere...my eyes are tired.

I'm about ready to put my LS1/A4 into my 68 cutlass and need to get motor mounting figured out.

I've ordered the Hooker swap headers.
I will NOT run ac, compressor removed.
I have F body oil pan & front accessories.

Questions:

1) For my application can anyone suggest the benefit of S&P or BRP motor position? I've been tempted by the $40-$50 S&P style on ebay. Please confirm this should require no mods to my curent engine set-up and no cutting of my frame.

2) Can someone provide motor mount & frame mount part numbers? I'd guess the parts are available from NAPA. I believe my Oldsmobile parts are differnent than Chevy.

3) I'm a bit confused by "Tall Narrow" and "Short Wide" motor mount differences and specifically what else this may impact.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

you can get the proper frame stand's from one of the chevelle stores, like www.ss396.com
yearone, etc
use a motor mount for a chevy 350-454
i used the hooker motor mount adapters along with their headers
Old 02-20-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

The S&P mounts will most likely require the oil pan be modified. The BRP mounts however, should allow you to keep the pan unmodified (sets the engine close to the firewall). If you check the sticky's there are templates to make your own adapter plates. Its not hard I did it myself and if you have some extra plate steel laying around they are essentially free.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out my swap thread, link in the sig.

Here is a post I put in there about the tall/narrow vs short/wide mounts.
Originally Posted by stealth71
Well I now have both Tall/Narrow and Short/Wide frame mounts and motor mounts. The interesting thing is they are both the same height when used as a pair. So getting the new ones hasn't helped much. I think I'm going to end up keeping the short/wide mounts I was using and add the preload plates and a 1/4" spacer between the frame mount and frame.

Some pics of the mounts:

I have a set of tall/narrow frame stands if you're interested.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone know the part numbers for the short wide mounts ?
Old 02-21-2008, 09:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From chevelles.com:

Originally Posted by MarkJ
Here is picture of the 2 types side by side with all of the part numbers.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We carry the regular ls1 plates and a 1 inch setback style plate that is like the hooker unit.
The one inch setbacks are 49.95

The standard location mounts are 39.95
Old 02-21-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

My 1965 olds frame mounts only have 3 holes not 4. I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone who is offering these engine mount kits so I built my own. Good luck I had one of the Top Sponsers on here try to tell me I'd have to hard mount the engine. I new right then the guy was an idiot so I gave up the hunt. Good luck I think there is a 70 olds guy on here that might have an answer for you.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
Questions:

1) For my application can anyone suggest the benefit of S&P or BRP motor position? I've been tempted by the $40-$50 S&P style on ebay. Please confirm this should require no mods to my curent engine set-up and no cutting of my frame.

2) Can someone provide motor mount & frame mount part numbers? I'd guess the parts are available from NAPA. I believe my Oldsmobile parts are differnent than Chevy.

3) I'm a bit confused by "Tall Narrow" and "Short Wide" motor mount differences and specifically what else this may impact.

Thanks!
1) The S&P allow you to use the stock location of a SBC frame mount (in your cause You would have to get some). As the BRP are designed to relocate the Frame mounts to new location (redrill new holes or weld them in place as Phill @ BRP does). I just fab'd up my own mount with a few hours and normal hand tools (cutting wheel, grinder, drill and tap). But any of the cheap plate will do.

2) Yeah.. they are different. I would suggest you look in some of the A-Body Chevelle catalogs (ss396, YearOne, Groundup, etc) for the SBC 350 style Frame mounts. If you can not find any, you can always fab up your own frame mounts with just some steel plate/metal. Look for the 70-72 standard 350 frame mounts (not the BBC).

3) as far as the tall / narrow and the Short/wide.. this page explains it best
http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/mt_tr1.html and the frame adapter will match up with the engine mounts..

With a combination of adapter plate thickness, mounter mounts and frame mounts.. you can vary the height of the engine by as much as 1"+

Last edited by bczee; 02-21-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the help. I think I'm getting a grasp.

2 questions:

1) One thing no one comented on is if any of these positions will allow me to use my "F" body oil pan.

2) In short there is a 1 3/4" difference between S&P or BRP motor position. How does Carshops "1 inch setback style" above compare. Would this position fall between the two or 1" farther back than eiter? Get my question?
Old 02-21-2008, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

Eric, Trans-dapt makes BOP frame to SBC engine mount adapters, they are $53 and require a tall and narrow engine mount, I have them in mine.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
1) One thing no one comented on is if any of these positions will allow me to use my "F" body oil pan.

2) In short there is a 1 3/4" difference between S&P or BRP motor position. How does Carshops "1 inch setback style" above compare. Would this position fall between the two or 1" farther back than eiter?
1) the BRP style of moving the Frame Mount back will allow you to use a stock F-Body pan.. S&P will require a different pan or a notched pan.

2) They would be a 1" set back from the standard location of the S&P style. At time it is hard to compare the loation of the BRP vs S&P because with the BRP, you relocate the Frame mounts. I would have to think about a answer after some measuments...
Old 02-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

DUAL ADAPTER PLATE DRAWING.

I have made an AutoCad drawing of the plate adapters that has both BRP & S&P styles on it. This will allow me to choose what I want to use at install time. I am having mine laser cut.

If anyone wants this drawing send me an email. I can provide as autocad drawing or .pdf file. Note that the holes seemed large on the drawings provided on this site (9/16") so mine has 1/4 holes which are easily enlarged to whatever you want. eric@dynequip.com
Old 02-21-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

When I was making my adapter plates. I did the same thing.. dual pattern. Tried both, but with my swap, one of my goals was to use the stock OEM AC Compressor.. so after looking over the S&P setup and then trying the BRP.. I cut the extra part off and went with the BRP..
Eric your drawing will make a great template.. why not create it with or another one with the S&P 1" back location also.. put a dotted line for the cut off area between the BRP and S&P. (maybe add all of the other one that is different. ATS, Hooker, etc..)
Old 02-21-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

s&p also offers a 1" set back mount, i think there made out of alumn.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

Default Dual position adapter plate LS1 GM A body

Here is a drawing that has both motor positions. If any one can supply information on other positions, I add. As eralier holes are too small at 1/4"

Eric
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LS1 MOTOR MOUNT Layout1 (1).pdf (73.5 KB, 885 views)

Quick Reply: Motor mounts for 68 cutlass GM A body