Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pump and tank questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fuel pump and tank questions

running a stock ls1 in a 67 nova, and using the 67's stock tank. do i have to put a sump in it? or can i run it through the sending unit? were is everybody getting there pumps from?
Old 02-21-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am going to be using a Tanks Inc. pump kit.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nobreaks254
I am going to be using a Tanks Inc. pump kit.
yeah thats a good set up. i dont want to spend that kind of money when there's other ways...
Old 02-22-2008, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

There are a few ways to do this as you probably know after a little research.
You could sump the tank w/an external pump, or install an in-tank pump as mentioned earlier.
If you are asking if you can just suck fuel through the sending unit via an external pump, well... you could but you are running the risk of starving your motor of fuel when the tank gets low. The "fuel injection" pump demands allot more fuel than the "carb" pump that the tank/sending unit was built for in your 67 nova. There is no baffling inside the tank, so when the tank is low and your sloshing fuel around while driving you run the risk of starvation.

Or I guess you could just drive really slow and take it easy on the turns

If I build another car, I would either just go w/a rock valley converted tank or the tanks inc. set up because of the time involved. (time is money, at least at my age).
I converted my 69 tank with an in-tank pump, and baffling myself. The baffles run lengthwise and I have a spiral baffle that surrounds the pump. One of the benefits of the in-tank pump is the pump is being kept cooled by the fuel around it, hence, it "should" last longer (How many cars today are made with an external pump?)
Here are some pics of what I did.....

You can just see the spiral baffle inside the tank.

Lengthwise baffles (maybe overkill, but I plan on throwing this car around...alot!)
Old 03-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Teching In

chrisp3,
did you build that plate (that the fuel pump/return is mounted to) or purchase it somewhere? I am looking to do the exact same thing very soon. Also, how is it attached to the tank? Is the bottom piece threaded? I cant tell from the picture. Thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

chrisp3 Could you better explain your "spiral baffle" or better yet post a pic.

I'm doing a 68 Cutlass LS1/A4 conversoin. I too am considering the Tanks inc. setup but have concerns over lack of sump.

Eric
Old 03-03-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too, for my chevelle...Thanks

Rick
Old 03-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Teching In

I am wondering the same thing. My Biscayne ( Impala ) Wagon tank is mounted inside the fender and they are not reproduced. I am wondering what to do, and cost as well. trying to figure up the budget needed for my vehicle.

Any advice would be great. I cant go to a trunk space mounted tank b/c of a third row seat.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

I'm no expert but I highly dought fuel sloshing is going to be that big of deal in a 60's model mucle car. I have a 1993 chevy truck with efi. It cuts out when corning when the tank is down to a gallon or so. It just tells me hey you better put some gas in it. Odds are if your like me you are not going to be doing high speed g turns in your A body. If your budget allows you to do the road hugging all out suspenion and your going to be turning and burning then you would diffently need a sumped and baffled tank. I am building a fast straight line cruiser so I took the cheap route and mounted an external welbro with vet regulator. Let your wallet decide.

Last edited by rockytopper; 03-04-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

but........why spend all that money when a you can mount a caprice/impala fuel tank
Old 03-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by X88&94GT
I am wondering the same thing. My Biscayne ( Impala ) Wagon tank is mounted inside the fender and they are not reproduced. I am wondering what to do, and cost as well. trying to figure up the budget needed for my vehicle.

Any advice would be great. I cant go to a trunk space mounted tank b/c of a third row seat.
Originally Posted by 91parkave
but........why spend all that money when a you can mount a caprice/impala fuel tank
Read what I typed up. I cant use a caprice/impala tank. Mine is mounted inside the fender.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

In my case I was able to buy a new sending unit with 3/8 feed and a return line in it already. I spoke to this guy Danny
http://www.tristarrradiator.com/New%...g%20Units.html

He said you can send him your existing unit and he can put a return line in it for you.
Good luck
Old 03-04-2008, 10:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I just sumped my tank and ran a walbro 255..... Worked great....

Quick Reply: fuel pump and tank questions