Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NHRA Rules for LS1 Swapped Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NHRA Rules for LS1 Swapped Car

I'm building an LS1 swapped car ('95 M3 with Vorshlag Kit) and need to abide by the NHRA rules.

This car won't be built for just drag racing, but it will certainly be taken to the strip regularly. I'll be going to get the seat time and have fun. I'll be picking up some DRs and maybe some NOS down the road.

I started taking a fairly stock '95 M3 to the drag strip a few years ago. It was fun in a relatively slow car, but I never had to learn any rules.

I had a friend tell me that cars with motor swaps may be subject to more safety precautions or equipment.

What is need for an LS1 swapped car that might get deep into the 11s.
I swear that I'm not a bench racer.....

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:11 AM
Launching!

Try here for info...http://nhra.com/
Old 02-27-2008, 05:58 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are going to enjoy the car a lot - the rules are the same as with any other car. Basically at 11.99 or faster you need a driveshaft loop and a roll bar
Old 02-27-2008, 06:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i thought they changed the rule to 11.49 and below for a bar? AHRA always had 11.49 and quicker, then NHRA changed, mainly because of the quicker factory cars
Old 02-27-2008, 07:02 AM
11 Second Club

11.49 is roll bar.

You need to make sure your fuel pressure regulator is mounted at least 6" forward of the firewall. I see a lot of swaps miss that one, but that's a rule for everyone.

You have to realize most NHRA cars have swaps or are heavily modified. I don't think there are any swap specific rules. Just have to follow the book.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:22 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stealth71
11.49 is roll bar.

You need to make sure your fuel pressure regulator is mounted at least 6" forward of the firewall. I see a lot of swaps miss that one, but that's a rule for everyone.

You have to realize most NHRA cars have swaps or are heavily modified. I don't think there are any swap specific rules. Just have to follow the book.
I didn't know about the cange to 11.49

The fuel regulator is interesting - I wonder what they do for Corvettes or corvette-style regulators that are in the rear near the tank.

I have never had an tech inspector ever look at anything all that closely.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:29 AM
11 Second Club

The whole fuel and firewall thing is incase a flywheel, clutch, flexplate or torque converter explosion. They don't want shrapnel hitting any fuel system. Part of that rule also states that unless you have stainless braided line near the bellhousing, it must be run enclosed in steel.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:36 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Very interesting; I have (obviously) not read the rules in depth - none of my cars ever have roll bars so I don't get very far
Old 02-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Launching!

You might have to fight with the techs a bit about the rear mounted battery. It obviously comes factory on BMWs and some other cars as well, but NHRA rules state that it needs to be in an approved battery box or you have to install a rear firewall. They'll probably let it slide since it's the OEM configuration, but just be aware of it.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

try here, http://www.okthunder.com/tech_guidelines.htm
Old 02-27-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Heck alot of GMs have rear mount batteries. My mom's brand new HHR-SS has one in the spare tire well.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Skele4door
You might have to fight with the techs a bit about the rear mounted battery. It obviously comes factory on BMWs and some other cars as well, but NHRA rules state that it needs to be in an approved battery box or you have to install a rear firewall. They'll probably let it slide since it's the OEM configuration, but just be aware of it.

not to mention they will often fight about not having a cutoff switch.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

11.49 is roll bar.

I've never heard the FPR rule, and I run a Corvette-style regulator/filter on the frame rail of my truck.

There's rules for non-stock power adders (turbos, superchargers, and nitrous - you need a fire jacket regardless of speed) but nothing for NA engine swaps.

My heavy and traction-limited truck still has yet to break the elusive 14.0 barrier - so I don't tech any differently than I did when I was running mid-15's...or high 17's, depending on how far back you go, ha!
Old 02-27-2008, 01:29 PM
11 Second Club

I guess I worded that wrong. What I meant was if you FPR is under the hood don't mount it to the firewall.

NHRA: Fuel blocks must be located at least 6-inches (15.2 cm) forward of the flywheel/bellhousing area.

Lines: All non-OEM fuel lines (including gauge and/or data recorder lines) must be metallic, steel-braided or FIA accepted "woven pushlock". A maximum of 12-inches (30.5 cm) total (front to rear) of non-metallic or non-steel braided is permitted for connection purposes only; individual injector nozzle and motorcycle fuel lines are excluded. Fuel lines (except steel braided lines) in flywheel/bellhousing area must be enclosed in a 16-inch (40.6 cm) length of steel tubing, 1/8-inch (3.2 mm) minimum wall thickness, securely mounted as a protection against fuel line rupture. It is mandatory that fuel lines passing supercharger drive belts be steel braided or be enclosed in protective steel tubing. Fuel lines must not be routed in the driveshaft tunnel.

Hope that clarifies what I was saying. If you are using a FPR under the car and it isn't near the bellhousing you are good to go.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:36 PM
rao
TECH Resident

That makes sense - at least my fuel system complies
Old 02-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Launching!

I guess I worded that wrong. What I meant was if you FPR is under the hood don't mount it to the firewall.

NHRA: Fuel blocks must be located at least 6-inches (15.2 cm) forward of the flywheel/bellhousing area.
That's a pretty stupid rule. I can pretty much guarantee you that any clutch/flywheel explosion that would take out the FPR would make mincemeat of the fuel lines beforehand.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

That's an interesting one with the Regulator..mine sits up where the Stock Air Filter Box went with the LT1 setup. I have the Corvette Regulator as well.

Quick Reply: NHRA Rules for LS1 Swapped Car