Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pan for A body LH8

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question oil pan for A body LH8

I found a part# of 12614821 listed as an Lh8 pan. Ive read that it's a good fit for the A body. My GMPP dealer listed it as the pan for an 08-09 5.3 colorado. Anyone used this one? Is this the one, one of the sponsors was talking about having good luck with?

Rick
Old 03-06-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BRP is marketing a kit based on the LH8 pan.. you can browse more information on there site.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the same pan as the 08 hummer yes seems to fit good,from what I've been told they are hard to come by.Gm has them on b/o.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

The pan does hang lower than the crossmember which could be a definite concern especially if your car is lowered much. Just something to think about.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LH8 pan for A-body info.

I just got mine a few days ago from BRP. Came with the gasket and new bolts. The hold up now is the pick ups are on back order. I believe there is talk about modifying a similar pickup instead of waiting on GM to ship out the matching pickup, which would be fine with me. The best thing about dealing with BRP so far is that they will contact the customer and keep them informed of the status of the order. Coming from the Turbo Buick community great customer service is really important to me. I was thinking of trying to find the LH8 pan and related parts on my own but when u figure it all out the $250 that BRP wants is well worth it. I also bought there engine, frame, and trans mounts w/ cross member so the install should go smooth if I have time tonite to get it done.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Default not sure about that

Originally Posted by pist0lpete
The pan does hang lower than the crossmember which could be a definite concern especially if your car is lowered much. Just something to think about.
I believe the pan from BRP is not the pan ur thinking of. This pan comes only on 08 hummers with a crazy suspension option. So I believe its not gonna hang lower than the X member. Hopefully I will know for sure a lil later tonite.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

Default The Part number is different.

Originally Posted by flywheel
I found a part# of 12614821 listed as an Lh8 pan. Ive read that it's a good fit for the A body. My GMPP dealer listed it as the pan for an 08-09 5.3 colorado. Anyone used this one? Is this the one, one of the sponsors was talking about having good luck with?

Rick
I just checked the part number on my pan and its different then the one U have listed. My # is 12614822. I believe the difference is the clearance issue that Pete mentioned.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

The LH8 pan is in fact the pan I am talking about. If you check the thread posted by phil from brp marketing the LH8 pan for the A-body he provides pictures that do in fact show the pan hanging about an inch and a half below the crossmember. Not saying it doesn't make the pan still a great option but I plan on having my ride height rougly 3.5 inches from the bottom of the crossmember to the ground. Having a pan hanging down below that would just be dangerous. Here is a link the the thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/857952-new-brp-true-bolt-ls-conversion-kit-1964-1972-body.html

Last edited by pist0lpete; 03-07-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brer Rabbit
I just checked the part number on my pan and its different then the one U have listed. My # is 12614822. I believe the difference is the clearance issue that Pete mentioned.
Is that the pan part #? Or the whole kit part #? Only one number off? Hummm.

If this pan still hangs low, what pan doesn't? Pete, what pan did you use..?

Rick
Old 03-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Default Part #

Rick
I took the number off the pan itself. By the way theres also a windage tray that comes with the BRP kit. Part # is 12611129.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Rick
I am using the f-body pan unmodified. It fits fine. Its a bit tight getting the engine into place but once it is you have quite a bit of room. Other than that there is the CTS-V pan which probably hangs down slightly less than the LH8 pan but if you really don't want it to hang below it looks like F-body or aftermarket are your only options. There might be another new option coming out with the new CTS-V as well might be worth looking into.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have the CTS-V pan on my 71 Chevelle.. a little over 1" below the x-member.. here is a few picture for you to compare... (Used Tall/Narrow mounts with short/wide frame mounts)

Old 03-11-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do ANY of the pans, GM or after market, NOT sit below the cross member? I need to go out and look at my 66 and 71 wagon w/BB's to see if they stick below. I really don't remember...

Rick
Old 03-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Default Update..

Talked with BRP and my pickup was shipped yesterday so I should get it Wednesday. By Friday I should have it in the car and all bolted up. I plan on taking a lil video and some pictures to post. I think no matter what theres gonna be an issue with the pan hanging down below the crossmember a bit. I personally dont think its much of an issue because I dont plan on driving this car like its Jeep with a 4" lift kit. Oil capacity is more important to me.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

For most people I don't think the pan hanging below should be an issue I totally agree. I however, plan to have my car significantly lowered in the future and I don't like the idea of my oil pan being the first thing to hit the ground should I scrape. I implied it but failed to point out before that the F-body pan which I am using will NOT hang below the crossmember. As for oil capacity there are plenty of people making lots more power than I on the stock f-body pan without any issues but more oil capacity sure won't hurt anything either. I do cringe at the thought of making any kind of power and making corners with a modified S&P pan though.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen!!! I put a big rock through mine, and it dosen't hang down much lower than the crossmember if at all, rock was in the middle of the road in downtown Kansas City, so... you just never know!!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

The F-Body pan will sit just about flush with the X-Member or higher if you setup the adapter/mounts right..

But as noted.. having it hang below a bit is not going too hurt much because your Exhaust or Header can hang below those points anyway.. also with being just at or behind the tires, you should be rolling up and over the speed bumps anyway..
But yes.. there will be the out of nowhere Rock, borad, etc to destroy everthing below..!

I was considering making some skid plates and attaching them in front of the pan on the X-Member.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I was considering making some skid plates and attaching them in front of the pan on the X-Member
I thought about that too, wouldn't be a bad idea. But I never did it, I just keep telling myself "what are the odds it could happen again?" LOL

Last edited by ls1nova71; 03-12-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We modified our crossmember and used the champ pan...... I know alot of your guys are not wanting to do this to keep the car intact.....

Quick Reply: oil pan for A body LH8