Sponsored by:

1970 GTO Version 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by rao
We all care, really

I am jealous of your access to that throw out bearing; on my car that is several hour's work just to get to it

Keep up the pictures
Rob,

C'mon now. I don't care if anyone cares. I just want to provide some tech that I rarely see on this site, or any other. I've had my 15 minutes...LOL

The access to the bearing is greatly enhanced due to the fact that the engine is sitting next to the car, not under it!!!

Matt,

The column is from Flaming River. The joints are from Burgeson or Flaming River. I don't remember at this point. Either company can set you up with joints for a stock column or one of their own.

Shaun,

I am a little curious how the LS7 harness will work. The harness will fit, I am not worried about that. I am more concerned about the tune. Word has it that these ECUs are not programmable. Still waiting for the final word on that though.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-external-engine/849964-gm-performance-ls-engine-control-harness-video.html

Andrew
Old 04-03-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm watching and paying attention, looks good Andrew,

and your luckey on the Batchelor part, right when I get both hand on something I get Can you come hear for a minute??
Old 04-06-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Today I worked on the rear end. I degreased it and gave it a rattle can make over. Along with the cosmetic touch up I installed new upper control arm bushings and finished up the installation of the weight jacks.

If anyone else is using these weight jacks, I would highly recommend painting them. They are steel with a black oxide coating. I already saw signs of surface rust after sitting in the garage for only 2 weeks.

Tomorrow the rear end will get plugged back in and I will start on the wiring. With any luck, the engine will be going in next weekend.

Andrew
Old 04-06-2008, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great,

Your making all this look way to easy and us married guy's look lazy.
Keep the post and pictures coming.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 04-06-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tja42853
Looks great,

Your making all this look way to easy and us married guy's look lazy.
Keep the post and pictures coming.

Thanks,
Tom
+1 on that!

My wifes change oil light was on for a week b4 I even had time in the garage to get to that! Needless to say not much movement on the Buick/L92 swap!

Though I did get the L92 on an engine stand. And I see a good use for the pallet in your last post.

Keep up the good work Andrew!

-Shaun-
Old 04-09-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

wow! looks great andrew. Can't wait to see it on the road again.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

What height of rear springs are you planning on running?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
What height of rear springs are you planning on running?
I got some 9.5" tall springs, 175lb/inch.

This is what the spring looks like with the car on the ground at the new ride height:

Before, it was 28" from the top of the wheel well to the ground. Now it's at 26". Looks great.

I have to make some sort of rear axle retention strap. Since the car is lowered the shock is too long to keep tension on the spring when the suspension is extended.

Andrew
Old 04-12-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

It is amazing what difference 2" in ride height makes. The rear seems to sit so much lower now. I am sure part of this is due to the fact that I have tall tires and now they looked tucked inside the wheel well.

Andrew
Old 04-12-2008, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Looks Good. I believe you have a 18/295/45? As I recall I ordered the tires I have currently based on findings from your build about 1-1/2 years ago. I liked the 18" wheel with a little bit of sidewall like you have there since the A body has such a big opening. I have been considering going to a 305/35 as I get use to the bigger wheel look, just don't want the rubber band look. Lets see some current full shots of that GTO. Also, you got a fireplace in your garage?

Tom
Old 04-12-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Parts are slowly starting to trickle in. I got the proper cam gear to use with the LS7 cam. I also got a take off C6 water pump.

For the sake of my sanity, I removed the lifter valley cover just to double check that this engine does not have Displacement on Demand. It does not.

Andrew
If anyone is interested, this is what DOD looks like from the outside looking at the valley cover...oil supply channels built in to the valley cover, control solenoids underneath it, and a plug at the back to connect into the harness. The LS2/L92/LS7 valley cover is simply flat with O Ring seals underneath to block off the DOD feed channels to the lifters, plus an oil seperator.

1970 GTO Version 2.0-geniv-dod-valley.jpg

Click for full size....(photo credit to Swingtan on ls1.com.au. Could not find the photo I took of my plant)

The front and rear cylinders also have different lifters (on this bank - middle two on the other), which have springs on top and are hydraulically switched on and off via the solenoids through the channels shown in Andrew's other photo above.

Cheers.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

I am very happy you are doing all of this to the GTO. It is truely an amazing car. Even sitting dusty under a carport in the middle of the night.

I can't wait to see photos of the finished product.

Jesse
Old 04-13-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tja42853
Looks Good. I believe you have a 18/295/45? As I recall I ordered the tires I have currently based on findings from your build about 1-1/2 years ago. I liked the 18" wheel with a little bit of sidewall like you have there since the A body has such a big opening. I have been considering going to a 305/35 as I get use to the bigger wheel look, just don't want the rubber band look. Lets see some current full shots of that GTO. Also, you got a fireplace in your garage?

Tom
Tom,

I am indeed running 295/45-18s. It is a Nitto 555. The older cars definitely look better with some sidewall. I was thinking about changing over to a 295/35-18 or a 305/35-18, but I don't think I will like how a 26 inch tire will look.

I do indeed have a fireplace in my garage. It seems that the people that build the house back in the 50s, really liked their garage time. LOL

Andrew
Old 04-13-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Simple stupid question. What transmission and pilot bushing are you using?
Looks like a TKO, and I thought the TKO had the same input shaft length as a Muncie. The LS motors typically have the T56 bushing which wont fully engage the tremec input shaft.
GM offers an extended pilot bushing for mating a muncie to an LS motor. Which pilot bushing are you using? BTW, I'm planning on an LS/TKO combination myself.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by garys 68
Simple stupid question. What transmission and pilot bushing are you using?
Looks like a TKO, and I thought the TKO had the same input shaft length as a Muncie. The LS motors typically have the T56 bushing which wont fully engage the tremec input shaft.
GM offers an extended pilot bushing for mating a muncie to an LS motor. Which pilot bushing are you using? BTW, I'm planning on an LS/TKO combination myself.
I am using a Richmond 6 speed which has the same input shaft length as the TKO, Muncie, T10, etc. It is 6.66" from the face of the trans to the end of the input shaft. I am using an LS7 pilot bearing. If you look at the pictures, you will see that the LS7 bearing sits in the larger outer register in the crank. The standard bearing sit inside the smaller register that is deeper inside the crank. By using the LS7 bearing there is no need for an extended bushing.

Andrew
Old 04-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

very nice i like you attention to detail
Old 04-13-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Oh, so that's wher GM got it's muncie conversion pilot bushing!
Old 04-13-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by garys 68
Oh, so that's wher GM got it's muncie conversion pilot bushing!
Post #36 of this thread has a picture of the pilot with the input shaft inside it.

Andrew
Old 04-16-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have been working on getting the wiring sorted out. The GMPP harness has three huge connectors that go to the ECU. In order to fit them through the firewall I would need at least a 3" hole. There is already a 2" hole in the firewall so I wanted to see if I could somehow feed the harness through it. The only way to do that was to start feeding the harness from the inside. With some effort I was able to feed it through. However the huge relay center was not going to make it. So I cut the wires to the relay center. It's no big deal since I will most likely have to lengthen that harness anyway. I would like to mount the relay center on the radiator support so it will not be so visible.

I also fixed some wiring oddities that were done by a shop that did the wiring during the original build. Odd things, like having wires that went from the bulkhead connector fed through the firewall then back out through the firewall, and back to the backup switch. Who does that s**t?

Another thing that I will have to do is get a different pedal. The one that is included with the GMPP harness kit is just plain awful. It is big, and huge, and ugly, and pretty much looks like it's made for semi truck. I think a pedal from a Corvette or a Chevy Malibu might work much better. Maybe a quick trip to the dealership is in order. LOL

Andrew
Old 04-16-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Frickin hot car man! That is going to be one awesome Goat!

Quick Reply: 1970 GTO Version 2.0