Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 into my 1983 Monte Carlo...the beginning

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LQ4 into my 1983 Monte Carlo...the beginning

Last week, I started to take out the 305 so I could put in my '99 LQ4. I am only test fitting it right now to see what needs to be done. I still have to rebuild it. I'll be using Morosd motor mounts, and my brother is going to machine an adapter plate. We have the motor lined up by the transmission crossmember bolts, not the motor mounts. This way, it fits better, and some common oil pans will fit. It is a little close to the heater box, but that's not a problem for me becasue I don't need the heat when I'm on the dragstrip (plus I'm not going to drive it in the winter). And I don't need A/C...I have windows and t-tops.
Everything came out fine, and everything went in fine, kind of. The bracket for the coils put a hole in the heater box, but thats because I wasn't paying attention to it.

Stock Truck oil pan ground clearence:

heater box

And for those of you who haven't seen this yet, this is a photoshop of my future paint job (or the exact opposite with black on bottom and silver on top).
Old 03-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Doing the same swap into a '79 Malibu. I've also decided to use the transmission crossmember as the reference point. Getting one from a guy called "Iceman" that makes custom crossmembers for G-bodies. I was not comfortable with how low the stock truck oil pan hangs down, so I'm trying a Cadillac CTS-V pan. Looks like it's going to fit fine, with maybe a slight hang below the crossmember. My initial guess is about 1/2". But, I'm waiting on a crossmember to do the final mockup and see. Click on the link in my sig to see the progress.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MalibuRacing
Doing the same swap into a '79 Malibu. I've also decided to use the transmission crossmember as the reference point. Getting one from a guy called "Iceman" that makes custom crossmembers for G-bodies. I was not comfortable with how low the stock truck oil pan hangs down, so I'm trying a Cadillac CTS-V pan. Looks like it's going to fit fine, with maybe a slight hang below the crossmember. My initial guess is about 1/2". But, I'm waiting on a crossmember to do the final mockup and see. Click on the link in my sig to see the progress.

I've been following your build-up in your "Father/Son Project" Section on maliburacing. Pretty interesting & helpful. (I also posted this same topic in the gallery...under my dad's name...)
Old 03-13-2008, 06:58 AM
On The Tree

Lookin good. I'm doing a '05 LQ4 swap into my 88 Monte SS. I ended up using transdapt motor mount adapters and moving the mounts about an inch back. This is allowing me to run the trans in the stock location and run a stock driveshaft.

My projects been on hold for a bit, gotta strip my old caprice (saving the LT1 for my truck) and get rid of the shell before I can pull the monte apart more. Gonna yank the front clip to make the install easier.

Oh, what size wheels/tires are you running? They fit the wheel well out back very nicely.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:23 AM
11 Second Club

Looks good so far. I'm a big fan of the g-body swaps. Maybe since my first car was an 86' Monte. What kind of time frame are you wanting to have this finished by?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

almost every g-body swap reports a busted heater box, lol.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS2Monte
Oh, what size wheels/tires are you running? They fit the wheel well out back very nicely.
BFGoodrich T/A Radial 275/60/15's
15"x8" with a 3.5" backspacing

Originally Posted by green28
What kind of time frame are you wanting to have this finished by?
No planned time frame. Once the Engine/Transmission has been fitted properly, I plan on doing the car over, end-to-end (possibly body off). And as $$$ permits.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

When i referenced off of the trans crossmember an f-body pan fit fine for me.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

A little more progress now. I've had everything stripped off the frame for a while now. I'm just now staring to narrow the rear frame to fit some 315's(295's untill i sell my 8" wheels to get 9"). Tonight, I welded up some bracing for when I cut the section (to be narrowed) out. So far so good. The only part that went wrong tonight was when I cut my leg open pretty deep on some of the bracing. It didn't hurt till I looked at it...
Here are a few pictures of me cutting the square tube. I'll have the pictures of the frame tomorrow.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:06 PM
13 Second Truck Club

i busted the heater box in my chevelle too
Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

i too feel the pain of a busted heater box
Old 04-18-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

do the silver on the bottom , you always want the light color on the bottom , and black would just make the car look like its sitting higher .
Old 04-18-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys do realize this is like a 4 year old thread right? lol

Quick Reply: LQ4 into my 1983 Monte Carlo...the beginning