Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use a windage tray with my S&P modified oil pan?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I use a windage tray with my S&P modified oil pan?

Time to get the front and rear covers and oil pan on my LQ4 and I was wondering if I can use a stock F-Body windage tray on my Street and Performance oil pan?Oil pan is for a 65 Chevelle(A Body).I got the pan and pick up tube so long ago I forgot to ask.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure.. but from what I recall from other threads and post.. for S&P pan.. you can not use the tray. Maybe 1/2 of it.. F-Body is only a 3/4 tray.

Other bad things that you will read is that you lose capacity, have engine of oil starvation during hard braking or turning. The Pickup don't alway fit without some mod'ing to correct the pickup location..

Those are just a few things I recall reading from other people.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used mine with my Moroso pan and pick up. Had to use a spacer type thing to shim where the moroso pick up mounted to get it to sit flat. I had no idea you could just not run a windage tray. Does it damage the engine at all?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

s&p told me not to use it , it wouldnt fit anyway, its a tight fit , i had to flatten out the pickup tube in the front for the pan to fit correctly ( they told me to do this ) also check the clearence at the screen ,if i remember i had to tweak it too,i havent ran the engine yet . i have a feeling im going to drop the pan again to double check everything . im a little worried about the bolt holding the pickup into the pump ,ive had it in & out so many times ,im concerned about the threads , JOHN
Old 03-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.Actually spoke to Mark at Street and Performance this morning(Saturday)and he confirmed you can use the stock windage tray,but you have to cut it.I don't have one so I'm going without.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 65SSZO6
Thanks guys.Actually spoke to Mark at Street and Performance this morning(Saturday)and he confirmed you can use the stock windage tray,but you have to cut it.I don't have one so I'm going without.
I was able to use the stock F-body tray on my S&P pan, for my 55 Chevy. I had to cut a notch in the tray, in the area where the pickup screen bracket mounts to the main bearing cap. Without this notch, the bracket would not fit flush to the tray. No clearance issues at the front of the tray.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can run without a windage tray without any damage, but you are giving up some oil windage control and HP... The windage tray is there to control the cranks whipping up air and oil at Higher RPM's. With Oil being thrown around inside the crank case, the crank and rod encounter drag and lose of RPM and HP.

F-body trays are only 3/4 trays.. so.. go figure.. But if your not racing or at constant High RPM's, no problem then.

Quick Reply: Can I use a windage tray with my S&P modified oil pan?