Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Oil Pan - What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Truck Oil Pan - What are my options?

I am looking at swapping a 4.8 or 5.3 into my 86 Monte. Looks like I can either:

1) Use the oil pan as is, the truck pan does clear the engine crossmember on a g-body but hangs 3-4" below the crossmember. So dips and potholes would create a bit of a hazard. I'd rather not go this route but it would be the easiest way.

2) Cut 3-4" of the top to bottom depth out of the pan and pay someone to TIG weld it back together. Has anyone successfully done this? And would there be any concern with the loss in oil capacity?

3) Purchase an f-body pan and either notch the engine crossmember or send the pan out to be notched. I'd rather not have to do this since I would have the truck pan already and this would just be something else to buy.

I'd like to hear input on these or any other options that I should consider.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Skip #1 and #2.. #3.. is ok with a little notching.. or as is if you can get the engine to sit correctly... but other opions are to look into a CTS-V or a LH8 pan.. they should work out for you as.

There are aftermarket pans.. but they are very costly..
Old 03-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a pic of my truck pan:

It can be done. I cut over 4inches out of the bottom and then decided to add some capacity in front of the sump. That's why there is a seam on the bottom. I did all the welding so I can't say how much it would cost to have someone else do it.

If you get the Fbody pan you can get the pickup tube that goes with it so you don't have to try to modify yours. If you make the notch and fit the aluminum nicely it probably won't cost that much to have it welded back up.