Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do I know how much oil pressure I have

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default how do I know how much oil pressure I have

I am ready (finally!) to start the 6.0L in my '70 Impala. The engine has not run for about a year and a half. I know I have to build up the oil pressure before I actually send the fuel and start it for real. I have been spinning the starter motor about 20 times this afternoon (yes I let it cool down between each try) and my mechanical oil pressure gauge does not move. It is a brand new aftermarket gauge, so I do not know if it works, or if I have connected it properly...
So, is there another way of knowing if there is enough pressure built up yet?
If not, the pump is not primed, so what now? I have already added 3 quarts more than full (on dipstick) for a total of 10 quarts, is this enough to submerge the pump? I certainly do not feel like taking the pump out to stuff it with vaseline, that's too much work (including lifting the engine...).
Any help/suggestion/idea is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think adding oil will help. you need to confirm that the gauge works first. hook it up to something else anything, an air pump might work. see if it works. if the gauge works your taking the motor out probably. if it doesent work, get one that works.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

where is the guage hook up at ?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

The gauge is mounted at the rear of the block, just behind the intake manifold, where the stock gauge hook up was.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by wave1957
The gauge is mounted at the rear of the block, just behind the intake manifold, where the stock gauge hook up was.
Burp the line. Loosen it until you have oil shooting out, then see what the pressure reads.

Andrew
Old 03-21-2008, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Burp the line. Loosen it until you have oil shooting out, then see what the pressure reads.

Andrew
You mean undo the line at the engine end, then crank the engine until oil shoots out, or undo at the gauge end?... If oil is shooting out, doesn't it mean I have pressure?

Last edited by wave1957; 03-21-2008 at 11:53 PM. Reason: make question more accurate
Old 03-21-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by wave1957
You mean undo the line at the engine end, then crank the engine until oil shoots out, or undo at the gauge end?... If oil is shooting out, doesn't it mean I have pressure?
You may have oil coming out, but not enough pressure. So you will still want to see how much pressure you have. If there is air in the line the gauge will not read properly.

Andrew
Old 03-22-2008, 02:42 AM
On The Tree

Make it easy on yourself man. Place a drainpan under the motor, unscrew the oil filter and have someone crank it for you with the ignition or fuel disabled. It should dump oil everywhere in no time. Screw the filter back on and all should be well my friend. Sometimes the oil filter can cause the lube system to be airbound; removing the restriction temporarily will get the oil pump primed again.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

follow GatTago's advice or intall the guage pick up at the oil filter housing...oil has a long way to go to reach the factory oil pressure pick up...
Old 03-22-2008, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssvolvo
Make it easy on yourself man. Place a drainpan under the motor, unscrew the oil filter and have someone crank it for you with the ignition or fuel disabled. It should dump oil everywhere in no time. Screw the filter back on and all should be well my friend. Sometimes the oil filter can cause the lube system to be airbound; removing the restriction temporarily will get the oil pump primed again.
Well, I have done that but no oil is coming out... I did notice though that the filter (which I had filled before mounting) is now empty. Undoing the gauge hose at the gauge does not do anything either; how long do I have to keep trying?
And now what?
Old 03-22-2008, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Ok, That means the oil mpump is not picking up a prime. One question. Did you do anything like have the pan off and maybe forget the pickup or O-ring at the pump end of the oil pickup? If all is well there then my next step would be to take a shop vac and attach it (with the oil filter off) to the filter adapter on the oil pan. What we are trying to do here is draw oil up through the oil pickup and into the pump. You want the suction of the vacuum cleaner on the outside hole of the oil filter adapter. The one that comes from the pump. I do a lot of engine work and this works well to prime the oil pump if the engine is really dry.
I wouldn't keep cranking the engine over too much until you get the oil pump primed.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

it took me a while to get pressure, i also undid the line, no help-i over filled it, jacked the *** way up for a little while, hoping oil would flow into the pump-when i lowered it, and spun it over, i finally got pressure, w/o the plugs, about 25 lbs
sup. theres an oil port in the front on the d/s that you can dump oil into the pump, but i didnt try it
seems as a puller rather than a pusher, these things can be hard to prime
Old 03-22-2008, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

I work on a lot of Audi cars. They used a similar style pump for a few years. Had the same problem. Worse actually, if the pump wears just a tiny bit the pump won't pick up the prime in colder weather and smoke the mains. they finally placed their pump IN THE PAN...chain drive. It's quite a joke but stays wet/primed all of the time.

I forgot to tell wave1957 that he'll make an awful mess of the vacuum cleaner when the oil finally comes through!!
Old 03-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Banned

Check It With A Oil Pressure Gauge R Take It To Autozone Or Lk I Said Just Add A Oil Tac
Old 03-22-2008, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for your tips!
SSVolvo, before I got your last ideas, I had tried to overfill the pan (20 quarts) and I finally got pressure!!! I then removed the extra oil and started the car!!!! Yoohoooo
That is a good sound, although a bit loud (no exhaust, just manifolds) and the idle is not very steady...
Old 03-22-2008, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

I forgot to tell wave1957 that he'll make an awful mess of the vacuum cleaner when the oil finally comes through!![/QUOTE]

Yes, I had figured that one by myself!!!