Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

up and running, but

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Default up and running, but

the engine is getting hot, but the water in the radiator is cold-this would normally indicate the thermostat isnt opening, but on a gen 3 motor, the water goes in the thermostat, out the top, right? i guess unlike a gen 1, the t/s is prob blocking any water going in the engine, so how does the dam thing get hot to open-are you supposed to dump some water into the top hose and into the engine? i have the bypass hose hooked up to a nipple in the radiator-the gauge has gone over 220
its a 69 a body, with a vette front drive and procharger, afco conv. radiator
i think the t/s said 86 deg cels. on it, whatever that relates to in fairh. deg.
i am running a carb and msd box, thing fired up on the 2nd spin, sounds great
Old 03-26-2008, 03:40 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take off the top radiator hose at the radiator and fill it up with coolant/water mix, you should always do this when the coolant has been totally drained.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

thanks, problem solved-once i poured the water down the upper hose, that took care of it-now i have to find a rad cap and hook up my catch bottle
Old 03-26-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Air pockets !... got to love them ! LOL..

I just help a friend with his over heating problem on his 8-71 Blown BBC 40 Willeys.. had an air pocket in the blower cause the radiator and filler neck was at or below the upper most water jacket or passage..

We put a expansion tank on the firewall to be at the highest point in the cooling system.. and it was running at 180-190.. as before it was 240+ after a few min sitting at idle.. So .. you can see what a air pocket will do !

Make sure you purge the system anyway.. open the cap, raise the RPM to about 2000+ for 10-15 seconds and let it back to idle.. then backup again.. do this a few times and fill the rest of the system if you find it low.. that should do it !
Old 04-23-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
the engine is getting hot, but the water in the radiator is cold-this would normally indicate the thermostat isnt opening, but on a gen 3 motor, the water goes in the thermostat, out the top, right? i guess unlike a gen 1, the t/s is prob blocking any water going in the engine, so how does the dam thing get hot to open-are you supposed to dump some water into the top hose and into the engine? i have the bypass hose hooked up to a nipple in the radiator-the gauge has gone over 220
its a 69 a body, with a vette front drive and procharger, afco conv. radiator
i think the t/s said 86 deg cels. on it, whatever that relates to in fairh. deg.
i am running a carb and msd box, thing fired up on the 2nd spin, sounds great

you have any pics of this setup ?? what bracket did you use? mount to passenger side or drivers side? Assuming no intercooler? any numbers ?