Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 T56 Swap into 67 Camaro problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 T56 Swap into 67 Camaro problems

I need some help - I am swapping in a 99 LS1/T56 into a a 67 camaro. The camaro was a 327 powerglide car. I am using the 327 pedastals and original block mounts for the mock up. I made my own BRP style plates from the template on this site. I am also using the original crossmember from the power glide for the mock up.

Here's my problem(s) -
1. The stock f-body pan is hitting the top of the engine crossmember before the bolt holes line up. I know these mounts push the engine further forward but do I need to run higher pedastals? What pedastals do people typically run?

2. The trans is hitting the tunnel - Do you typically need to cut a signifcant portion of the the tranny tunnel? It looks like most of the conversions only need to cut out for the shifter???

3. In relationship to the bottom of the subframe, approximately how high should the bottom of the rubber tranny mount sit? The ATS version appears to be about level with the bottom of the subframe.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

1) You need to modify the F-Body oilpan. You can see some good pics of that in our thread in the hall of fame sticky. S&P can do the mod for you.

2) You are only having this problem because you cannot get the engine to sit down. You should only have to make cuts for the shifter.

3) This will be different in every install. Use an angle finder to set the trans at the right hieght to get a good down angle. Again, dealt with in many stickies...
Old 03-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Thanks - I've read thru your sticky several times - nice work.

I see where S&P modifies the sump, but my pan is hitting on top of the crossmember. I do not have the steering on the car yet, so the drag link is not a problem. If you look at the picture of the F-body pan, starting at the left, there is a shallow section 4 1/4" in wide, then a step down 4 3/4 in wide - This step down is hitting the top of my crossmember.

Here is a picture:

Motor mount - I modified the stock rubber mount for mocking up the engine.

Last edited by hevychevy; 03-30-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Almsot everyone here with a 1st gen Fbody is using S&P-style, ATS-style, or Hooker-style plates... none of the info about crossmember, height, clearance, pan mods, etc from those are relevant to using BRP-style mounts.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good catch, I missed the BRP in the question. Aren't they pushing the LH8 pan for use with their mount adapters?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Launching!

Your engine is way too far forward.I mocked up my 69 camaro with 4"x10"x1/4" steel plate,set the motor where I wanted it-(3/4 inch away from the firewall)and scribed around the mounts.I then pulled the plates and mounts off,lined up the scribe marks and drilled the holes.I did not have to cut the f-body pan because I have close to 2" of clearance.Works mint,but I am running a th350 auto.J
Old 03-30-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

In your bottom picture is a good clue. The center bolt of the SBC mount should line up with the hole in the block.

S&P Style Mount Location:

Crossmember Clearance (wound up not using the thick mounts:

Firewall Clearance:
Old 03-31-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JAY ROD
Your engine is way too far forward.
That's the way the BRP kit does it... forward and UP.

Looks like he may have copied BRP's newer mounts which need an LH8 pan. http://www.brphotrods.com/NEW%20Firs...LS1%20kit.html

Or he could actually buy the BRP kit instead of asking for help copying it...

Or he could copy the S&P plates like everyone else does, and is thoroughly documented in the 67-69 Fbody sticky.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

We are real happy with the engine placment using the S&P plates. While next time we will use the thinner steel plates with the same pattern, they place the engine at a good height, and the trans clears the tunnel without having to ding it up. Having that little bit of clearance at the firewall helps too, as we routed a lot of our wiring in that area. Only bummer is having to mod a pan, but that is a minor concern once you look at some of the other ways people have shifted the engine around to avoid cutting the pan, a lot more compromise that way. Of course, he could still use those plates if he either cuts the pan or the crossmember...
Old 03-31-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is the modification to fit the F-Body pan in a first gen....

In our 67, this was solely to provide clearance for the steering.

This was during a test fit, ignore the nasty suspension and steering, and old oil filter....
Old 06-20-2009, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

67rsss, do you remember how much had to be taken off of the F-body pan in each direction for the notch?
Old 06-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

I took out a 2 by 2 section and it worked fine in my 69

Quick Reply: LS1 T56 Swap into 67 Camaro problems