Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which swap is easier/cheaper?
93 RX7 FD
40.82%
Nissan 300z
12.24%
Nissan 240sx
46.94%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

300z and 240sx guys please chime in....:)

Old 04-01-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 300z and 240sx guys please chime in....:)

Basically I've been thinking about doing a LS1 + T56 swap into either one of these two cars.
Right now maybe I'm just day dreaming, depends on what happens here in the next couple of days if I'll even have an LS6 and T56 to do the swap. (Edit: It's confirmed I will be getting the motor and trans .)
Anyway enough of that. I just basically have a couple of questions. Relate these to 300z vs. 240sx, with a motor making 364rwhp n/a.

Custom fab:
How much in either car did you have to change, or custom fab parts to do this swap?
Cost of swap:
How much will a swap cost in either car? Is the cost comparable, including a rolling chassis? (Will already have motor and trans as stated.)
Rear end:
Will the stock rear in either car suffice?
I will have a 9", and a 10bolt.. would rather sell the 9" and keep the 10 with the chassis of the z if possible. Don't even know if a 10bolt would fit??
Ease of swap:
Is one swap more of a pain in the @$$ to do than another?
Will one significantly out perform the other?
Not sure if there is a huge weight difference, going to be pretty much a pure street car.

This will be 99% a street car. Going to sell the heads and cam setup and leave the LS6 stock if I swap. Puts down enough power to have fun with as it sits.
If I'm forgetting anything please comment, the more the better.

Basically curious of the cost and ease of the swap in the two cars versus one another.

Again thank you for your time! I've searched, but def. a conversion newbie!

Last edited by 99camarosupersport; 04-02-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Default 300z

Im currently doing the swap into a 91 300zx, the engine bay definately has room to work with and custom fabbing soley depends on your engine placement, I am placing the engine farther back so I will be cutting the firewall but you can bypass this by moving the engine forward but you will sacrifice room for accessories/radiator/etc. My NA has 4.10 gears in the back so i will keep the rear as I have heard good things about its strength
Old 04-01-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

I've also "heard" they are stronger than a 10bolt. Thanks for the reply murph, I thought the stock gears were 4.08's in those or am I dreaming? Close enough either way.

As a street car I'd like to keep accessories, A/C could possibly stay out if I find an N/A car with T-tops. Never used AC in my Fbodies, just took the tops out.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Yea Ive deleted AC and powersteering as well, the problem with Ac is the nissan climate control and I am not sure how you would interface it with a GM compressor, if anything I would see if you could adapt the nissan unit to the GM belt drive and keep the rest of the system as it is. I would say the only real complication of the swap beyond fabrication is getting the T56 in as it is quite a bit larger than the stock nissan gearbox.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by murph6908
I would say the only real complication of the swap beyond fabrication is getting the T56 in as it is quite a bit larger than the stock nissan gearbox.
The T-56 isn't the problem it's the bellhousing.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cant you just use the stock box and run an adaptor palte?? i hear the Nissan boxes are bomb proof!

Chris.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

I've got a run on a 93 rx7 roller, 3500.......any thoughts?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Teching In

thats not bad, is it local because I would have a look at the chassis and underbody before I put any money into it
Old 04-02-2008, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
Basically I've been thinking about doing a LS1 + T56 swap into either one of these two cars.
Right now maybe I'm just day dreaming, depends on what happens here in the next couple of days if I'll even have an LS6 and T56 to do the swap. (Edit: It's confirmed I will be getting the motor and trans .)
Anyway enough of that. I just basically have a couple of questions. Relate these to 300z vs. 240sx, with a motor making 364rwhp n/a.

Custom fab:
How much in either car did you have to change, or custom fab parts to do this swap?

All these cars will need custom fab work. Obviously the Fd rx7 has been proven. I don't really care for the car much and personally think the 240sx chassis and engine bay looks better and has more room for the ls series motor. All cars will need custom cross member or some type of custom mounts. 300zx will need firewall clearance for t56 bellhousing. The 240sx in my opinion is the cheapest route. Especially if you crash your chassis your not spending 7k for a fd rolling shell or paying 3k for a z32. They all will need basic things to make the ls1 work and run in the chassis.

Cost of swap:
How much will a swap cost in either car? Is the cost comparable, including a rolling chassis? (Will already have motor and trans as stated.)

I have done some ls1 swaps in 240sx and I would say roughly costs to do it right 2500 to 3500 on top of the cost of the motor. clutch flywheel, clutch master, new slave, clutch lines, fuel system, cooling system, gto pan, mounts, drive line, plug wires, headers, exhaust, computer services... and on.

Rear end:
Will the stock rear in either car suffice?

Yes, will depend on what type of driving you will be doing. I will tell you right now the stock r200 in a 240sx is basically a 7.9 inch rear end. The camaro came with a 7.9 and yes people do break them. Some people never have issues some do. I have broken a s13 240sx axle due to intense wheel hop at the track. I have also broke a pinion gear after 1 year on a welded diff with alot of track time drifting and street daily driving. You can swap a q45 diff into a s13 s14 chassis really easily. There a r230 basically a 9.1 inch diff. You have options. You don't need to toss a straight axle in to have reliability.

I will have a 9", and a 10bolt.. would rather sell the 9" and keep the 10 with the chassis of the z if possible. Don't even know if a 10bolt would fit??

You can make anything fit! Obviously a custom setup. Like I said no need!

Ease of swap:
Is one swap more of a pain in the @$$ to do than another?

To me the swap is like drinking water. Well I would have to say dont attempt this is you have never swapped a motor in your life. Some skills are required. If you buy a kit and bolt it all in its obviously more simple. Making the headers can be a pain in the ***. The fd rx7 has a front rack design so there is a descent amount of room for headers on the fd chassis. on the s13 and 300zx there is a rear rack setup on crossmember and you make the headers go between chassis rail and steering shaft or 2 runners on one side 2 on other with steering shaft going between! Whatever chassis you decide on will be a pain no matter what way you look at it.

Will one significantly out perform the other?
Not sure if there is a huge weight difference, going to be pretty much a pure street car.

The 240sx hatch i built weight 2650, the coupe 2625. They were both gutted pretty good. Still retained the stock metal bumper supports and all. Mainly back seats, carpet and tar removed from floor pans. No a/c or heater crap on firewall under dash. This is also with 200 lbs of 18x10 inch wheels on it with tires. I have read that the fd makes a wicked car for track with the ls1 combo. You got to love the gm v8 power plant in a nice handling jap car.

This will be 99% a street car. Going to sell the heads and cam setup and leave the LS6 stock if I swap. Puts down enough power to have fun with as it sits.
If I'm forgetting anything please comment, the more the better.

Just search around on this forum and you will find alot !! alot of info on people performing swaps on z32, 240sx and fd. I would do a 240sx obviously because i have one and the fact that everytime somone hears a fd that don't sound like a 13b they already assume its ls1. Be different be original .. make a sleeper

Basically curious of the cost and ease of the swap in the two cars versus one another.

Again thank you for your time! I've searched, but def. a conversion newbie!
Good luck I tried to answer most of your questions!
Old 04-02-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

300z??? i dun think there's a 300z...do joo mean the z31 300zx or the z32 300zx??? i'd put ls1 into 240sx over rx7 and 300zx....cuz u can find any s chassis for cheap....and only body modifying u need to do ish bang the crap outta the tunnel/firewall...
Old 04-02-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

daftdrifting, much appreciation buddy.

Yellowbrother, if it comes down to being the more economical choice I will go with that...but simply it is at the bottom of the 3 cars as far as body preference goes.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

daftdrifting, much appreciation buddy.

Yellowbrother, if it comes down to being the more economical choice I will go with that...but simply it is at the bottom of the 3 cars as far as body preference goes.
mang any s chassis u can put an s15 front clip on and it'll be s3x...
Old 04-02-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got a run on a 93 rx7 roller, 3500.......any thoughts?

i wouldn't pay over 1k for any roller...interior or not...
Old 04-02-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Yellowbrother
i wouldn't pay over 1k for any roller...interior or not...
Sadly that's a decent price for an FD roller. You can't even find an Fbody roller for 1k or less. You're looking at 3500 or so there also.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sadly that's a decent price for an FD roller. You can't even find an Fbody roller for 1k or less. You're looking at 3500 or so there also.

thas y i'd never do it on an rx7....
Old 04-02-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Yellowbrother
thas y i'd never do it on an rx7....
Besides once I sell the z as a roller I'll have a "free" roller depending how you look at it. May end up doing a 240 simply because those rollers are dirt cheap. If I find a 300 roller though that cheap, I'm all on it.

The RX7's are just F'in sexy, that and the fact that the resale on those things is way way high. If done right you could build one and make money on it.

Last edited by 99camarosupersport; 04-02-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

go with 240 mang....z32 300zx are too much work....i've been working on mine for 2+ years...alot of it was due to no time and/or money....if i was to do another one...shouldn't take more then 1 month....
Old 04-03-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

So you're building a 300zx right now yellowbrother? have u had experience with both swaps? Just curious.
How is the engine fitment, trans fitment coming? How much do u have in the car right now excluding motor/trans?

Everyone I've mentioned doing the rx7 swap to is telling me to go 300 or 240, to be different. Still very undecided....
Old 04-03-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

well the z32 is not as common and not as easy as the other 2....

basically it's come down to this....

rear sump oil pan u will have to cut firewall/tunnel...no if/ands/or buts....but u have plenty of room for pulley accessories and radiator...
front sump u still have to cut firewall/tunnel...just not as much....u have to get creative with your radiator placement....

refabbing ur firewall/tunnel will prob be the most expensive fabbing u're gonna do if u're paying someone....do a search on 300zx z32 here...u'll see a dood that posted how much he cut...he did away with his wipers too...i'm trying to save mine....

with everything mocked up...the motor/tranny ish roughly 8-9 degrees off compared to the rear end....that's becuz the top of tranny is butting up against the original tranny tunnel further down...by the shifter hole....and i can't get it any higher...i've seen some who lowered their crossmember...and i didn't wanna do dat....

all in all...do the 240 swap....cheaper chassis...prob cheaper swap....easier swap from wat i've seen...and used the money saved and put a s15 front on it and call it a day...
Old 04-03-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

The good thing about the 240 if I go that route is I have 3 buddies who are HUGE into them and would be able to help, and really know what the F they are talking about with the car itself. They know them in and out, I like the S15 front end idea.

Worried about curb weight too, that (besides the looks and interior) was a big hook for me and the FD's. The fact they are sooo small. I wouldn't think a 240 will "feel" like it out handled an fbody by much.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 300z and 240sx guys please chime in....:)