Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluctuating oil pressure... any advice??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Fluctuating oil pressure... any advice??

So I cranked over the LQ4 for about 15 seconds, got no pressure. I started it for the first time and got 0psi oil pressure for a couple seconds. I let the engine cool down for a couple minutes, started it up again for about 5 seconds, let it cool.

Did this 3 times, and I finally saw some oil pressure, but it goes up to about 30psi, fluctuates a lot, and if I stab the gas a bit it goes up to 50psi but then down. I have an oil cooler and I filled my pan up to proper height with 6 quarts.

I was expecting it wouldn't reach full pressure immediately at first start because of the added volume of the oil cooler and lines, but I don't want to risk messing the bearings up. I was thinking I re-try tomorrow but just crank it over for a much longer time. Also after that try and keep starting for about 10-seconds then letting it sit.

Anyone have any ideas or advice? Does this sound good/bad, or did I just not try enough today and I should or shouldn't keep trying again?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, it's a modified pan and oil pickup. The pickup has about 1/2 clearance to bottom of the pan, and from what I remember the pickup/oring bolted together all nicely and smoothly, but after reading other posts on oil pressure issues, I'm starting to get sketched out on that oring connection, and I really dont want to have to pull the engine to remove the pan to check it out.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your getting Fluctuating oil pressure, many time it is the o-ring.. but it could also be the oil pump not seated flush on the block or oil pump bypass valve. Just a few other items to think about and check.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

The check valve.. that requires removing the pump to check out doesn't it?

I'm going to try cranking it for ample time to get oil flowing everywhere, but it's really looking like the safest bet is to suck it up and remove the pan/pickup

Quick Reply: Fluctuating oil pressure... any advice??