Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some recommendations from fellow Conversion and Hybrid guys.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for some recommendations from fellow Conversion and Hybrid guys.....

Getting close to finshing my 65 Chevelle SS/LQ4 swap and wanted some input on some areas.

For my fuel sytem I purchased a Walbro external pump and a Corvette fuel pressure regulator/filter,going to use my factory gas tank's vent as the return from the regulator. I plan on mounting on a bracket that will put in front of the gas tank between the tank and the strap area.

So far all I have done is cut my 3/8 fuel line just back of the firewall.What do you guys recommend using to connect all this together?I have access to a plastic fuel line repair kit.I was thinking braded flex from the 3/8 hard line at the firewall to the fuel rail.I saved the metal quick connect that was on the factory fuel rail.

Recommendation on Oxygen sensors? I plan to use HPTuner to tune my motor.

What application did you use for an oe style throttle cable? I don't want to use a Lokar(braided steel look type line)?

Where can I get a kick down cable and linkage for my 200R4 Transmission.Once again, I don't want to use a Lokar(braided steel look type line)?so please no Street and Performance recommendations.

Thanks for any help/ideas.

Last edited by 65SSZO6; 04-11-2008 at 01:09 PM. Reason: added ?
Old 04-11-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be ok with the selection of Walbro and the Vette FPR.. There are many ways of attaching the hard line to the Braided lines. many use Compress to AN -6 adapters and fittings.

I mounted my FPR on the Cross member above the rear Diff, just forward of the fuel tank... there are some picture of it in my Car Domain site (see sig link).

IMO, only use the Quick disconnect where you have to.. else my recommendation is to Braze a AN -6 fitting right on to the Hard line and therefore skipping any Quick Disconnects.. (ie Fuel Rail and the Fuel Sender tubes) How offen to you really need to remove the lines,a and it is more secure anyway. Just use a wrench to loosen and remove.

Any of the Tuning software can flash the 2nd / Rear O2 out.

I used the Lokar, but some have used the stock F-body or truck cables if using the Cable Throttle Body.

Can't help you on the Kick down cable, but someone will ping in. if not search.. there are adapters that many have used on the Throttle body Cam.

Good luck..
Old 04-11-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For the TV cable, lokar is almost your only solution. Connecting it to the throttle body is another problem. Stock 98 and 99 LS1 throttle bodies are easier because of the smaller side plate. Any other throttle body is a PITA. I spent several hours building a throttle cable/TV cable bracket mount and connection point. Here is a website with the correct cable geometry. Also a couple of pictures.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te.../photo_07.html

Old 04-11-2008, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

so what are u gonna do for a sump for your factory tank?
Old 04-11-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

If you just don't want to use the lokar because it is steel braided and I assume you want a factory look as I did. Lokar also makes a black jacketed one. Their cheap and very easy to install. I put mine on a 2002 ls1. You need to specify the lokar LS1 version when you order. FYI S&P aren't the only folks that carry them. Their only 36$. Good luck. I used standard HP fuel line and normal hose clamps and utilized the factory disconnect at the rail. Cheapest way but probably not the best or best looking way to achieve it. Here is the link.

http://lokar.com/product-description...tle-cables.htm

They don't show the ls1 version or a part number in black but they make it. just request from what ever distributor you buy from.

Last edited by rockytopper; 04-11-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

I used a Lokar throttle cable, but put 1/4inch black plastic wire loom over it to keep it from blingy. There's probably a stock application that cheaper and easily adapted though.

For the soft part of my fuel lines, I used Aeroquip Socketless -6AN hose and fittings. It's non-braided, push-on fittings, and rated for 220psi I think. On the hardline side, I used a Swagelok -6AN to 3/8 stainless tube compression fitting under the hood and a Swagelok 3/8 tube union to connect my hard line to a Dorman steel quick connect repair tube that fits the filter/regulator outlet.

I've heard Bowtie Overdrives makes a nice TV cable kit.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:36 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don`t use the fuel tank vent as a return line. It is probably 1/4" which is too small (run a 5/16" min) plus if it is like the newer ones on the inside of the tank theres a baffle to prevent fuel from sloshing into it....this will also hinder fuel from returning back to the tank. You should either drill the tank or filler tube for a bulkhead fitting.

I ran plastic lines almost the entire length of my car.

The stock 2001 youkon TB cable fit my firewall with minor filing.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Thanx for the in put guys.bczee you have a PM

Was looking for Part#s or year,make model for Oxygen sensor recommendation,or should I go with what the engine came out of originally?

LS1MCSS you should make linkage kits and sell them here,I bet you'd do well.At least make one more for me...Ha,Ha.I'll look at Lokar and Bow Tie Overdrives and make a decision on the TV cable.

thunderstruck507 no I am not going to sump the factory tank.

I'll look at the rest of your guys fuel system set ups and make a decision.I would rather do it right the 1st time than screw around with fuel esp.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

HEY 65SSZO6

you can always go with the CARB setup and save alot with wiring, fuel system, pluming, computer etc...

Not to mention a alot of people at first glance think I am running a gen1 SBC.

I get comment like... were is the distributor on that thing?

Old 04-12-2008, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

So what are you going to do about fuel starvation around corners or under acceleration?

(not trying to be a smartass, I haven't bought my parts yet and am still deciding what I want to do and your setup might be a good one I can mimick)
Old 04-12-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

For throttle cable I used a 99z assembly(20.00 dealership). Just had to cut the cable off by the pedal and used a small aluminum part with a set screw in it(lokar cable end stop).Your gas pedal may have to be modified to accept the cable end. For my 700r4 trans. tv cable I used one from a 87 iroc.(15.00)and made a l shaped bracket and brazed it to the tb. Good luck
Old 05-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Got a look at my Chevelle's tank.The vent tube is 5/16",so I think I am going to use a vented gas cap and use my 3/8' feed line and the 5/16" vent tube as my return.

Quick Reply: Looking for some recommendations from fellow Conversion and Hybrid guys.....