Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why are all bolt in crossmembers crap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default why are all bolt in crossmembers crap?

maybe i just had some bad luck but my wife actually let spend some money so i bought a prefabbed crossmember and it fit like ***.
so i called the company and they asked me for the measurments on it, and agreed it was bad and must have been made on a friday or something, so they sent another and told me to pitch that one in the trash.

i thought cool at least they stand behind their product. so i get the new one and its almost as bad as the old one.

i have NEVER had a stock crossmember from one car to another not fit. so why is it so frickin hard to make an aftermarket one fit. i still had to mangle the new one.

the mount was way off

i had to mangle it to get it to fit

you can see how far off the mount is and the mount had ajustment and its all the way left

and there is barely a diff between the two.
Attached Thumbnails why are all bolt in crossmembers crap?-crossmembr.jpg   why are all bolt in crossmembers crap?-mangled.jpg   why are all bolt in crossmembers crap?-far-left.jpg   why are all bolt in crossmembers crap?-bothem.jpg  
Old 04-16-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez, that's about enough to **** off the pope... You'd think that they'd pay a LITTLE bit of attention to the 2nd one that was sent out to ya!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

What kind of car are you working on? Are you absolutely positive that your transmission is centered in the chassis?

Andrew
Old 04-16-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are going to find a difference based on which mounting plates you used, which mounts you used, and which pedastals. I can easily envision that much error just in plate diferences...
Old 04-17-2008, 06:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 67rsss
You are going to find a difference based on which mounting plates you used, which mounts you used, and which pedastals. I can easily envision that much error just in plate diferences...
I am working thru a similar problem with my 55 Chevy convertible, with an LQ4. I purchased the engine mount kit and cross member kit from the same supplier. The cross member misses by about two inches ( too far forward)). They sent me several different styles to try and no luck. Not an easy fix since the convertibles have that big "X" frame. Going to have to cut one of these aftermarket beauties and fit it to the "X". I will probably wait until I get the body off so I have more room to work.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

My ATS crossmember fits perfectly.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 67rsss

yeah but the plates dont have anything to do with the frame. this p.o.s. didnt fit the frame.

this is just a plain jane 68 camaro. if it was some crazy custom job i wouldnt gripe. now i have to figure out what way to kill the extra crossmember.
should i set it on fire or blow it up, or maybe make a piece of art out of it!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Who makes this crossmember?
Old 04-17-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

**** man just make your own. 3 pieces of 1/4 inch angle iron, a chop saw, a drill and a welder are all you need. its super easy to build the transmission mount.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

i cant say who made um cuz they are not a sponsor. and i just didnt feel like bothering to make one. i had to make everything pretty much so far and im getting lazy. it just sucked that the one thing i spentt big bucks on turned out to be crap.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rodder
My ATS crossmember fits perfectly.
As does everything else we make. Thanks for using us on your project.

Tyler
Old 04-17-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by leonpiper69
i cant say who made um cuz they are not a sponsor. and i just didnt feel like bothering to make one. i had to make everything pretty much so far and im getting lazy. it just sucked that the one thing i spentt big bucks on turned out to be crap.
Say it anyway. I don't think any companies that pay to be here would mind us avoiding their competition. Not like this is a good review so people will run out to buy their product.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

i guess so. it was from bowtie overdrives. they advertize it as their 700r4 crossmember.