Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 in a 64 Chevy Pickup, Need Advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 in a 64 Chevy Pickup, Need Advice!!!

OK here is what I have so far: 64 Chevy sportside, narrowed 3:73 posi disk rear, and a '01 lq4 with #317 aluminum heads, stock exhaust manifolds. I am in the process of rebuilding the shortblock now. This is a pro-street truck, mostly driven to shows with my kids so I want it fast bit not crazy. My concerns are about; 1) Tranny 2) EFI or Carb & 3) heads & 4) wiring&computer.

1) I have an old t-350, is that ok or do I need to look for a newer 4l60/4l80 setup?

2) I have the complete EFI intake, should I use this setup or switch to the GM aluminum intake & holley carb?

3) Are my #317 heads ok? Should I mill them a bit for more compression?

4) I have NO computer or harness now, what is the cheapest/easiest way to go?

As some of you married guys can appreciate, I am doing most of this on the "sly" so cheaper & economical ideas will work best for me!!! This is my first gen 3 build up so I am learning as I go. Thanks to everyone who replies.
Steve
Old 04-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion you can find a pcm and harness for the setup you have pretty cheap. I've seen truck harnesses go for $100 on here. Computer for no more than that. If you do this get the underhood fuse box. easy to wire up then. I did mine myself then sent my pcm to jesse at wait4meperformance.com for bout $70 or so. So basically about $300 compared to about $800 for the carb setup that's not including the carb.. Even if you don't want to fool with the wiring jesse does the wiring harness and pcm makes it stand alone with wires labeled for bout $300. Check out my car you can see how I did my harness in it. I got a thread going on the Conversions forum. 87 Camaro.

Quick Reply: LQ4 in a 64 Chevy Pickup, Need Advice!!!