Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 camaro rack and pinion question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 camaro rack and pinion question

I have a 68 camaro, the question I have is it worth the money to install a rack and pinion like unisteer or flamming river? How much improved response in steering will i see comparied to the stock steering i already have?

Also with one of these racks, will my 2002 ls1 engine with a modified oil pan from say S&P still fit with out any problems?

I havent seen any post regarding these two together.

The reason im concidering a rack and pinion is i aleady need to rebuild my gear box and front end. So i will have to spend the money on one or the other. What do people think about what i should do?

thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't read anything positive about these rack and pinion conversions. I think a Lee steering box from ATS would be the best option to improve steering performance.

Don
Old 04-24-2008, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

considering a rack&pinion swap too
looks cleaner
Old 04-24-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

Hi, I'm in the same dilemma. What I did was buy an 02 F-body r&p ($95 shipped), right now I'm measuring my subframe and doing some research to make this work the best.
Check this very usefull links:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=rack+pinion
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sho...light=unisteer

Last edited by LSfan70s; 04-24-2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Misspeling.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

thanks for the links
sounds like unisteer or the lee box
i like the idea of trying a 4th gen rack too (keep us posted please)
Old 04-24-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

The main reason to go to a rack is to shave a few pounds. The stock steering setup with a good box works as well as or better than the rack kits. Whichever system you go with, even stock, you'll also need to modify the spindles, steering arms, and/or tie rod ends to reduce bump steer.

If you want to really step things up to the next level, scrap the whole subframe and suspension and replace it with an AME subframe.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

well i cant afford a new sub frame with the on going ls1 swap at this time. As RODDER quoted you "also need to modify the spindles, steering arms, and/or tie rod ends to reduce bump steer." the conversion kit that comes with unisteer has new tie rods, and steering arms that comes with there rack and pinion kit as a package deal.
For my suspension i already have the global west upper and lower control arms and 2" lowering springs in the front.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Yes, I started down the rack and pinion swap road last fall and after spending time on pro touring and lateral g forums, and posts from guys from SC&C and from ATS, I scrapped the rack and pinion and stuck with the box. I have the global west arms in, the del-a-lum bushings in the stock lower arms, hotchkis springs and sway bar, with bilstein shocks. I already had a newer z28 quick ratio box in there, so i stayed with it. I wrestled with the lee box upgrade and decided "maybe later". Well, I've been driving the car for a couple weeks now, and I have NO regrets about not doing the unisteer rack. The car handles Really nice, with little or no bumpsteer. My biggest problem throwing it into turns now is me trusting it. I took a 180* offramp yesterday with no one around and room to slide if it was going to slide, and finished the ramp with a big smile on my face. AWESOME!! To sum it up, "You don't need no stinkin' rack and pinion". I may step it up next winter with the ATS tall spindles and brakes, but no regrets and no rack here.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Oh Yeah, If anybody still wants to do the swap, I have a 98-02 F-Body rack that I'll sell for $75 shipped.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

seems to me most everyone is against a rack and pinion swap! well I still havent decided yet; either i replace all my front end, center link,idler pitman arms and worn out gear box or go rack and pinion dont know yet.

Quick Reply: 68 camaro rack and pinion question