Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What ecm should i convert my L92 to?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What ecm should i convert my L92 to?

Most likely Im going to convert it so i dont have to pay 800+ for the stock vvt harness. I should be able to pick something up alot cheaper at a junkyard.
So what harness should I grab? 2000+ truck? Probly the cheapest.
Any year I should avoid?
Staying with the vvt isnt really an option anyways since i want to cam it.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't plan on changing the reluctar wheel do you, if not you will need a 05 or new harness from like a gto or something ls2 powered, e40 pcm
Old 04-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Well I was seeing what would be cost effective. I could get a 24x reluctor and the tool which isnt too expensive. I need all the sensors anyways.
I guess my options are:
1. change cam sprocket, timing cover, reluctor, etc for 24x ecm.

2. Use a ls2 ecm, probly more expensive than the trucks

3. Stock ecu and keep vvt. But they are so new I doubt it will be cheap and probly hard to find. And new is definitly not cheap

Trying to get most of my parts from salvage yards. Not just a money pov, but ethical as well

Right now Im leaning towards a 2000 truck ecm and harness.
Im just worried about the pinouts bein compatible
Old 04-26-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

The ls2 GTO has an E40 ecm. and has a 24x reluctor, doesn't the l92 have a 58x?

Ryan
Old 04-26-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by slow
The ls2 GTO has an E40 ecm. and has a 24x reluctor, doesn't the l92 have a 58x?

Ryan
The L92 has a 58 tooth reluctor wheel. I am using the GMPP harness for an LS7 on my L92, but I have converted it over to the L76 intake, and no VVT. I also have an LS7 cam. The GMPP harness uses the e67 ECU. Fired right up today.

Andrew
Old 04-28-2008, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

We just released our power packages that allow you to keep the VVT by providing the ECM/Wiring Harness and a VVT camshaft. It comes fully calibrated with a dyno proven power number.

http://www.mastmotorsports.com/page....Packages&id=69

Shaun
www.mastmotorsports.com
Old 04-28-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MastMotorsports
We just released our power packages that allow you to keep the VVT by providing the ECM/Wiring Harness and a VVT camshaft. It comes fully calibrated with a dyno proven power number.

http://www.mastmotorsports.com/page....Packages&id=69

Shaun
www.mastmotorsports.com
if im reading your site right you want 3G for ECM/wiring and a camshaft w/ springs????

Last edited by 68shortstep; 04-28-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Lol thats what i thought too, but hey they are the only ones offering vvt solutions at the moment so I guess they can charge whatever they want. However it is extremely out of my price range.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

when you say VVT solutions, are you talkin about the dual pattern grind on the cam shaft?? if you want a custom grind camshaft, last one i got was about 400$$ from comp....so the option is there, if you're instrested.... as for your original question if you can find a PCM/ TCM out of a 05 trailblazer that would be the way to go IMO....
Old 04-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Im Currently Building A L92 For My 71 Chevelle, I Was Checking Into Going The Salvage Route, Then I Talked To Sean At Mastmotorsports And Decided To Go With Their Ecm And Harness, By The Time I Changed Everything That Needed To Be Changed And Re Wired Everythin I Figured Buying From Them Would Be Cheaper And Quicker, And More Likely To Work.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:53 AM
Staging Lane

cool didnt know comp would do that sort of thing. Ill look into it. I guess Ill tyr to find a factory harness for now and keep vvt. If that doesnt work ill use a ls2 harness and pcm and do all the mechanical swap crap. Thanks all.
Ill post my caprice conversion once I get rolling on it. Mostly Im waiting for the weiand street warrior and possibly the lingenfelter box that converts 58 and 24x reluctor signals.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why not just leave the crank as a 58x, remove whatever needs to be removed for the VVT, and just run the factory wiring and computer for the engine? The computer for those is an E38 which can be programmed to run that engine without the VVT.
The harness companies like Speartech and Current Performance can do what you need on the wiring and programming, even if you get a junkyard harness and just have it modified.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by 68shortstep
when you say VVT solutions, are you talkin about the dual pattern grind on the cam shaft?? if you want a custom grind camshaft, last one i got was about 400$$ from comp....so the option is there, if you're instrested.... as for your original question if you can find a PCM/ TCM out of a 05 trailblazer that would be the way to go IMO....
VVT is variable valve timing. This is where the ECU actually advances or retards the cam to get more low end torque and then retain high end performance.

Shaun (from Mast), can you please tell us the origins of your ECU. Some more detail about your fuel and spark tables would also be appreciated. WHat is the resolution?

Andrew
Old 04-29-2008, 04:50 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
VVT is variable valve timing. This is where the ECU actually advances or retards the cam to get more low end torque and then retain high end performance.

Shaun (from Mast), can you please tell us the origins of your ECU. Some more detail about your fuel and spark tables would also be appreciated. WHat is the resolution?

Andrew
The ECM is our own unit as is the software that is available as an option. The VVT phases the cam across the RPM range to effectively improve the volumetric efficiency of the engine. Think of it as adjusting the installed centerline of the cam for optimum performance while the engine is operating. It allows the engine to produce better torque for a given RPM that would not normally be possible in a fixed cam application. We did a study on the effectiveness of VVT and posted the results at the link below. The results speak for themselves.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=vvt

Our cam timing calibration uses an 8x8 table as far as the cam timing table resolution goes. A/F Ratio, Spark, and VE are 14x10 and 16x16, and 16x16 respectively.

The A/F Ratio table has a cold, hot, and transition table to allow for warmup situations. This is esentially a 4-D table based on RPM, load, A/F Ratio, and Engine Coolant Temperature. In addition, the ECM has fuel modifiers for transient conditions. Our ECM also has Wide Band O2 capability embedded in the controller. Purchasing the Wide Band O2 Kit from us eliminates the need for an external Wide Band box for calibration (if you choose to modify your engine in the future) and/or allows for Closed Loop A/F Ratio Control.

We actually have two spark tables, high and low octane, that we use in some situations with our crate engine and EFI packages. By using the Wide Band Knock Sensors properly the ECM is able to detect the presence of low octane fuel. When low octane or bad fuel is detected from the presence of a knock event, the engine runs on a table calibrated for 87 octane fuel and pulls timing as needed. If the ECM does not see a knock event, it learns its way up to the high octane spark table values to make optimum power. The ECM also has a spark modifier tables to make better power at certain conditions, such as low Engine Coolant Temperature.

The cam timing is calibrated using a point-by-point calibration process to get maximum airflow out of the engine and, in turn, maximum torque. I am not sure what other VVT capable vendors do, but I have seen some screenshots of VVT cam calibrations and they vary from ours that are set up for peak torque.

This is the tip of the iceberg on our M-90 ECM capabilities. It is good stuff to know, but our customers don't really need to know how it works unless they plan on serious modifications and custom calibration to their engines. This is because on our power packages, they are shipped with a complete calibration for that specific engine...no other tuning is required! Our calibrations are done in house on our SuperFlow SF-902 NSCR Engineering Grade Dyno and the finished out on our SuperFlow Eddy Current Chassis Dyno. By using a steady-state, point-by-point calibration process we are able to set the engine up for peak torque at each operating point.

As far as VVT cams go, we are curretly the only company that offers them. They require an entirely different cam core to work the VVT...a typical LS series cam will not operate VVT applications.

The power packages are now available for LS3 and L92 applications. Power numbers can be seen at the link below by selecting the LS3 HO, LS3 SS, L92 HO, or L92 SS banners. The power packages will essentially create one of these engine packages.

http://www.mastmotorsports.com/gascrate.php

Our wiring harness integrates electronic gauge drivers, clutch/park lockout, and a MIL lamp. The ECM has control logic and the harness has integrated relays for fuel pump, electric fan, and A/C compressor control. This essentially eliminates the separate wiring and packaging headaches of operating these subsystems. It does alot of the extra work typically required for LS series swaps.

Sorry about the essay guys!

Shaun
www.mastmotorsports.com

Last edited by MastMotorsports; 04-29-2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: What ecm should i convert my L92 to?