Go Back   LS1TECH > LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE > Conversions & Hybrids
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Conversions & Hybrids
LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by
Don Hardy Race Cars

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Banned
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 212
Default Porsche Cayman LS7 conversion thread at a P-car site. Very interesting.

http://www.caymanclub.net/cayman-mod...tml#post255385
TT C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.
Posts: 892
Default

Interesting. Is there really not enough room in the engine compartment though? That would put the cabash on everything.
LS1GMCTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central MA
Posts: 135
Send a message via AIM to eastcoastbumps
Default

I would try it with a Boxster first. They're becoming a lot more affordable and its a very similar chassis.

http://www.renegadehybrids.com shouldn't have too much trouble with it if they can get it to fit.
eastcoastbumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:59 AM   #4
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,676
Default

intresting idea. just need someone like renegadehybrids to have a go at it!

Cheers

Chris.
chuntington101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:09 AM   #5
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now
 
ls1kraut's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 17
Default

it could be done no doubt, but you'd have to hack up a lot of stuff. The cover above the cayman engine simply doesn't sit high enough to stuff much of anything under there. You would have to raise it up a good 5 or 6 inches, then find a way to insulate the sound and heat if you don't want your interior to turn into the worlds loudest oven. and that's not even diving into transaxle and exhaust woes.
__________________
1987 Porsche 944 - Sold, blown to hell

2009 Kawi. Vulcan 900 classic
ls1kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:24 AM   #6
Banned
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 212
Default

I spoke to Renegade Hybrids the other day. The owner was VERY friendly and knowledgeable.
He said the new all aluminum LSx engines alone only weigh about 50 lbs more than the stock Cayman engine alone.
So, we both agreed 50 lbs on exta weight is a small price to pay in order to DOUBLE the power.

He said that they have not placed a LSx engine in a Boxster yet, but feels the Cayman will be a better platform for the conversion that the Boxster.
He is willing to move forward with development, but a Cayman needs to be located for the conversion. A Cayman with existing engine or other issues would be preferred.


So, if anyone is aware of a Cayman that has a blown engine or other issues that would be a good candidate for developing a LSx conversion package, please let Renegade Hybrids know.

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/
TT C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:37 AM   #7
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 277
Default

Any word on this ?????
427C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 38
Default '00 996 c4

I found this thread while looking for possibilities to put an LS1 in my '00 911 Carrera 996 C4. This is something I would do if realistic.
adamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 8
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps View Post
I would try it with a Boxster first. They're becoming a lot more affordable and its a very similar chassis.

http://www.renegadehybrids.com shouldn't have too much trouble with it if they can get it to fit.
Similar??? Its the same... I would love to see it...

Mark
Marky522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 8
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1kraut View Post
it could be done no doubt, but you'd have to hack up a lot of stuff. The cover above the cayman engine simply doesn't sit high enough to stuff much of anything under there. You would have to raise it up a good 5 or 6 inches, then find a way to insulate the sound and heat if you don't want your interior to turn into the worlds loudest oven. and that's not even diving into transaxle and exhaust woes.
For the transaxle run either a GT3 box or the Turbo box... You would be set.


Mark
Marky522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #11
TECH Regular
1990 Porsche 911
 
lazylongboarder's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamc View Post
I found this thread while looking for possibilities to put an LS1 in my '00 911 Carrera 996 C4. This is something I would do if realistic.
Your g64/20 trans couldn't handle the torque but your front transfer case can according to evolution motorsports. Swap to a G64/21 996 turbo box and you're good to go.
I looked into a 99'-2001 with a 3.4 with a cracked sleeve to do this before i started on mine in Oct. 2006. I like the early cars because of their weight and stealth factor. Big time sleeper if you do it right and make it look stock still. I'm in the process of looking for a stock decklid and stock 16'' wheels for the F/I install this December.

I'm thinking it is possible. My buddy has a 2002 C4 cab i'm trying to convince him to let me do the swap on his. Fun

DO IT. There are NO drawbacks to this swap. I'm now 2840 lbs...stock is 3175. The car outruns 636's no problem, even with a bad tune. I'll start bullying the liter bikes around here in the spring once the twins go on. Cheers Good luck!
__________________
LS 911 tt VER. 2.0 - 993 turbo S, coming soon to a track near you
Thanks Cameron (turbo_v8_s10)
lazylongboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
12 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
67maro's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toledo
Posts: 220
Default

Hey lazy whats done to your car? Im a big pcar fan.
__________________
http://img492.imageshack.us/img492/2...urnout15di.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Have fun in BANNED camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit213
Intelligence is quite easy to spot. The alternative is even easier.
67maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #13
TECH Regular
1990 Porsche 911
 
lazylongboarder's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67maro View Post
Hey lazy whats done to your car? Im a big pcar fan.
It's stock. Just need to fix this damn exhaust leak

Look at my sig. Man, if you're a pguy you'll hate my car. I've come out to the car in the parking lot with SPIT on it. Seriously. People take this stuff a little to seriously. It might be because the car is so DAMN loud!

Good luck dood. I PROMISE you won't regret the swap. There aren't many surprises better than seeing an aluminum block in a 911. Usually gets more attention than the local Ford GT and Caterham at get together's. Love it.
__________________
LS 911 tt VER. 2.0 - 993 turbo S, coming soon to a track near you
Thanks Cameron (turbo_v8_s10)
lazylongboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #14
12 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
67maro's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toledo
Posts: 220
Default

Wow I was tired today when I posted that, I thought your sig was two seperate cars. Thats SICK. Are those 996 Turbo wheels? Im not a porsche only guy I love all cars even slow ones. Do you post on 6speed? Im only there to read about 996 turbos, one of my favorite cars. People might of spit on it because its a Porsche not because of he power plant.
__________________
http://img492.imageshack.us/img492/2...urnout15di.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Have fun in BANNED camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit213
Intelligence is quite easy to spot. The alternative is even easier.
67maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:44 AM   #15
8 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
1dirtyZ's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: the not so stock tribe
Posts: 3,619
Default

any updates?
1dirtyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #16
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now
 
yessir's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 5
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylongboarder View Post
Your g64/20 trans couldn't handle the torque but your front transfer case can according to evolution motorsports. Swap to a G64/21 996 turbo box and you're good to go.
I looked into a 99'-2001 with a 3.4 with a cracked sleeve to do this before i started on mine in Oct. 2006. I like the early cars because of their weight and stealth factor. Big time sleeper if you do it right and make it look stock still. I'm in the process of looking for a stock decklid and stock 16'' wheels for the F/I install this December.

I'm thinking it is possible. My buddy has a 2002 C4 cab i'm trying to convince him to let me do the swap on his. Fun

DO IT. There are NO drawbacks to this swap. I'm now 2840 lbs...stock is 3175. The car outruns 636's no problem, even with a bad tune. I'll start bullying the liter bikes around here in the spring once the twins go on. Cheers Good luck!
any video of you car?
yessir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #17
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now
 
DiscerningZ32's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessir View Post
any video of you car?
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/multim...tires-off.html

I still say your car is sick as hell lazylongboarder.
The 964 has always been my favorite Porsche and their crazy high repair costs and minimal power made them seem unreasonable.
I would definitely get one if I was dropping in an LS motor though.
__________________
_


Back on 'Tech and better than ever.
2003 C5 Z06 - Stock as a Rock and loving every second.

_
DiscerningZ32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:35 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Porsche Cayman + LS3 JustinOlson Conversions & Hybrids 31 Yesterday 12:25 PM
WTB: Porsche with LS swap already done kylejohnston1 Vehicles Wanted 4 07-18-2014 04:51 PM
Detailing: 2006 Porsche Cayman S DannoWS6 Eastern Members 4 06-11-2014 07:43 AM
Is there a 60,000 mile service for our V's? thefullmonty_07 Cadillac CTS-V 8 11-19-2013 08:15 PM
C7 Corvette vs. The World MeentSS02 Automotive News, Media & Press 23 10-09-2013 05:11 PM


Tags
996, blown, boxster, cayman, conversion, costs, engine, hybrids, ls7, ls7conversion, motor, porsche, renegade, renegadehybridscom, round


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



Join Ls1Tech

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details