Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get some quick Opinions/Help?

Old 05-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get some quick Opinions/Help?

I'm about ready to buy my LS motor/tranny and thought all along I would go with an LS1 but the LS2 Motors got MY motor running. I went to a few places today and now have a choice. Kind of.

I am sinking whatever combo into my '56 Belair 2 door hardtop. I plan to buy the install kit from S&P or BRPH.

As I understand it, the Fbody LS1 motors have the accessories down low requiring a notch in the frame. I would rather avoid that whole deal if possible.

As I understand it, the Vette motors have them up high. Will I still need a frame notch for whatever reason? (i'm assuming the compressor is what needs the additional clearance)

I also read something about the Vette motors having a single fuel line hookup or something..? I'm sure that's workable, anyway.

NOW I am looking into the possibility of running an LS2 out of a GTO. I found one today for $5,800 as a complete dropout from a 2006 with 32K miles. If I waited, I could swing that price in a few months, but not now.

WHAT are the main differences in the assembly compared to the LS1? besides a little more HP, a drive by wire and a front sump pan?

If I can find a complete low-mileage dropout LS1 assembly for the right price (~$3,500) I think I would almost prefer to go that route.

I DID find a complete LS1 assembly out of a 2002 TA with 44K on it today for $3600 but if I have to run the Vette accessory drive system, it might not be worth it.

Apologies for the basic questions but it seems this sub-forum is deep into the hardcore technical aspects of it all and I couldn't find answers to a lot of the basic questions I have and I completely new to LS motors and the whole idea of doing this swap.

Thanks
Dan
Old 05-02-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I think I've seen someone advertising a brkt kit to move the A/C compressor up.
I'd give the guys at BRP a call.
I've also seen some feedback concerning the use of the late model A?C compressor w/ the "older" add on a/c units...
Stop over at trifive forums... I think it was mentioned there, too.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The frame will not have to be notched for a Vette ls1. That is what I have. I used S&P mounts which pulls engine forward a little so the heads will clear the firewall. Pretty easy to install the mounts. I easily modified my t350 tranny cross support to accept the t56 tranny tail. I also modified and kept my t350 side mounts at the bell housing to support the torque. (I don't know if this is really necessary but the f-body has some sort of a torque bracket on the back of the tranny.) I don't have air but if you do, you can get a custom bracket to put the compressor high on the pass side. The vette alt/power steering bracket puts the alt high on drivers side as in my pic. The only other body change I think I made was to grind the seam down where my firewall meets the floor pans to clear the t56 tranny.

I'm pretty sure the f-body accessory set up will require a notched frame. If you are going to spend the money for a really nice polished set up, you could get either engine and then buy all of the expensive brackets, pullies, and accessories from someone like S&P.

The single inlet fuel rail is not to hard to come by so you can put it on either ls1 motor and run a single line to the tank area and use the filter/regulator combo. See pic.

I hope this helps.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Can I get some quick Opinions/Help?-filter-reg.jpg   Can I get some quick Opinions/Help?-front-eng.jpg   Can I get some quick Opinions/Help?-pass-eng.jpg   Can I get some quick Opinions/Help?-drv-eng.jpg   Can I get some quick Opinions/Help?-filter-reg2.jpg  

Old 05-02-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you don't want to pay $1200 for accesory mounts you can use the stock ones and get passenger side high Sanden A/C mounts from KWik Performance http://www.kwikperf.com. I am using them and they were inexpensive plus had the 'non billet' look I wanted.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't short-change yourself in the horsepower department. My fairly stock LS1 has been running nice for a number of years but I need more power...MORE POWER. So, my project stroker 6.0L is in the works......I wish I would have had a choice back when I first started this thing.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Ok so basically, if I buy the Fbod LS assembly, I can just buy the Vette compressor mount as well as the alt/PS bracket to get both up away from the frame? I don't have a couple grand to throw down on the fancy billet aftermarket stuff.

If so, I will buy those now, order the LH8 pan and related items, and order some motor mounts. I'm guessing I will go with the BHRP motor mounts as they seem to have that aspect down to a good fit.

And of course, I still have to find a damn LS motor assembly

EDIT: Oops, looks like if I run A/C, I can't even use the vette setup. I guess I can just remove the compressor for now or buy the sanden mount.

Is there another bracket out there for the compressor that will move it up higher and still let me run the stock A/C compressor? Or is the Sanden unit a better compressor?

Dan
Old 05-05-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Sanden compressor is very good, used on lots of non-stock applications.

Search this Thread