Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with LSX Swap in 70 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with LSX Swap in 70 Chevelle

I’m in the process of doing a engine swap in a 70 Chevelle LSX 454 purchased from Mast Motor sports (all the Guys over there have been great) 4L60E Automatic and would greatly appreciate some experienced help and advice with a few problems I’m having.

First off I’m using an Auto Kraft oil pan and haven’t test fit it yet it is on the motor and I'm using a Mock Block. I purchased Edelbrocks headers and engine plates and the headers hit on the frame on the passenger side right where they start down. I looked at pictures of other builds and could see no reason that they didn’t fit or anything that I did wrong I tried both a stock type motor mount and energy suspension urethane mounts and also tried new stands just in case any ideas? I ordered the Hooker long tube set up and I will try that this week when I receive them.

Next problem the one I realy need to address today is I cant find anyone that sells a Serpentine drive set up (air car) I have called March, Billet Specialties, and everyone that I could find everyone has told me that there LS1 drive either wont work because of the Drive by wire throttle body causing a conflict with some of the bracket's or some other problume I cant even remember all the reason's everyone gave me. I had order one from Synister Products that I was told by them would work however they were unable to deliver the product at this time. I know several people have suggested notching the frame and using a GM drive that is not an option for me not that there is anything wrong with that I just don’t want to if I can keep from it also a few people have stated that they had problems with steering hitting also. I have heard that GM Performance has a drive for LSX however I cant find any information in it. I’m looking for something that will high mount the compressor and the alternator and clear the hood and something that is attractive looking. Any ideas any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Keith
Lansing Mi
Old 05-05-2008, 02:09 AM
Launching!

Keith Welcome aboard, you have a long a fun journey ahead!

I am using the edelbrock headers on my LS2 swap into my 1970 Chevelle. They fit great, you can take a look at pictures from my threads showing my progress. (www.skybeamsearchlight.com/LS2) I did notch the frame, relocate the engine perches and build my own BRP style engine plates and S&P modified F-Body Pan. The Edelbrock/S&P/Hooker plates will not allow the AC compressor to be located in the stock position. That is why I had to use the BRP style (they cost me $12 and one afternoon to make). The main reason I relocated the perches is that I did not want to have a second custom drive shaft made for my tranny.

You shouldn't have an issue with the edelbrock headers and their specific mounts unless someone moved the engine perches on your car.

There are many types of drive systems, I have not heard issues with the drive by wire feature though.
S&P Street and Performance
March
Billet Specialties
There is another company that makes a black setup used on Dale Jr. early 70s camaro. They are all nice but expensive.
The GM performance drive uses the stock AC location and I am pretty sure it is the same as the corvette drive (the same one that I am using.) To this date I am pretty sure the the GM performance drive, keeps getting pushed back from hitting summit or jegs. When I found out that this was supposed to be out over a year ago that irratated me and I posted on this board and found a setup. I can forward that vendors info if you like.
I decided to buy a corvette setup because I did not want to pay for pretty.
I think $1200 is what I paid, everything was new except for the Crank Pulley.

Hope some of this info helps.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Ben thanks for the Pic's looks great I wish I would have had the time ability and space to do what you are doing that will be a sweet ride when you are finished I hope you can keep posting photos as you go along. Ya all the pictures I have seen show the perches in what looks like the same position as mine. The car shows no evidence of previous frame damage or anything tweaked the photos I got from Edelbrock of there build show about a quarter inch clearance at the point where mine hits who knows?

As for the drive set-up I guess I will call all the manufacturers back and see if someone my have something that works at this point I really don’t know what else to do. I really want the AC High mounted.

Thanks again Ben and good luck with your build

Keith
Old 05-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Ben thanks for the Pic's looks great I wish I would have had the time ability and space to do what you are doing that will be a sweet ride when you are finished I hope you can keep posting photos as you go along. Ya all the pictures I have seen show the perches in what looks like the same position as mine. The car shows no evidence of previous frame damage or anything tweaked the photos I got from Edelbrock of there build show about a quarter inch clearance at the point where mine hits who knows?

As for the drive set-up I guess I will call all the manufacturers back and see if someone my have something that works at this point I really don’t know what else to do. I really want the AC High mounted.

Thanks again Ben and good luck with your build

Keith
Old 05-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Glad to help. Hope my progress helps some people down the road.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keith.. wtih many of the swaps of 35+ years old cars.. it can be a crap shoot on getting aftermarket and performance parts to fit correctly. As there at times no standards on these aftermarket parts from one manufactor to the other.

Headers have been my concern as I have not installed any yet, but about ready to buy some now. But with my swap being of home made BRP Style plates, there is no telling what will fit and not. And as you are finding out, even with swap parts/kits from the same manufactor, they might not fix without some extra work.

Different Frame Adapter, Engine mounts, Adapter plates, location of the frame mounts all come into play and is why I consider it a crap shoot unless you do all of your own fab'ing of the swap parts needed.

What and where did you encounter problems with the Edelbrock headers, as I am thinking of picking up a set soon.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Launching!

You know the only thing negative that I have to say about the Edelbrock LS1 swap headers is that they don't include the exhaust side collector adapters. You have to buy the down pipes out of the Edelbrock exhaust kit (not sure how much they are yet). I think the reasoning is so that you just break down and buy the whole kit. I already have 2.5 tailpipes, bought thrush welded mufflers and pypes universal X pipe kit. I will have a whole $190 in the exhaust since I already have the tail pipes.

Quick Reply: Help with LSX Swap in 70 Chevelle