Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using Stock Air Compressor with Vintage Air Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Using Stock Air Compressor with Vintage Air Kit

I did a search on here the other night but I didn't get any good answers to what I wanted to know.

I want to use their Vintage Air kit but I don't want to have to buy another compressor and buy their adaptor brackets that let you use their compressor (which push the compressor out even more). I work for a company that sells vintage Air parts and called a rep that had knowledge of the Sure Fit kit I was going to use (73-87 Chevy Truck) and asked about using the stock compressor to see what he said. A previous conversation with one of their reps said it will not work. This rep said that it would work but said the air would never get colder than 60* and the compressor would fail. He also started talking about the differences in the units and that is where the confusion started. I know nothing about the differences in the units and why the compressor will not work.

Basically what I want to know is if it is possible to use the stock air compressor with such a set-up from Vintage Air and how it would perform, and what all is involved in doing this modification?

Here's a link to the catalog page for the unit I want to use:
http://www.vintageair.com/cat2007/52.pdf

And here are the installation instructions if anybody wants to look at them for any reason:
http://www.vintageair.com/DownloadsS...el)%20Inet.pdf
Old 05-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Teching In

stock LS compressor? or stock Blazer compressor??
Old 05-09-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I did exactly what you're wanting to do about 7 or 8 years ago and my compressor hasn't failed yet, but I wouldn't do it again. It does work but dosen't get as cold as it should. I am using the stock Camaro Ls1 A/C compressor on a Vintage Air surefit kit in my Nova. In my 33 Ford I fabbed my own brackets to mount the Sanden compressor and it has a Vintage Air gen iv supercooler. It WAY out performs the Nova, It will run you out, the Nova has never been that way. I think BRP makes brackets to mount a Sanden in the stock location that shouldn't move it out too much. Just my $0.02. Good luck with your project. Eric
Old 05-09-2008, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Definately not the Blazer compressor.

ls1nova71: That's pretty much what Vintage Air told me as well. I think I may try and go ahead and use their compressor and brackets if I think I can fit them. I haven't actually mounted my air compressor yet to my engine since I was going to have to do some trimming on the frame.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

It will probably be a little more work, but I think you will be happier in the long run.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same concern and went with the Hot Rod Air stuff because of it. Vintage Air told me no to the Camaro compressor; HRA told me no problem with theirs. I really wonder what the difference is between the two manufacturer's units, if any? I'm hoping the HRA unit end's up performing well. Another reason I went with HRA is they were extremely helpful and accomodating, where as the folks at VA seemed above helping their customers; a real turn-off.

Andy1
Old 05-10-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

I just read up on this stuff and here's what the issue seems to be...

The Vintage Air expansion valve and evaporator are designed so that the low side pressure will run 6-12psi. The GM variable displacement compressor is is designed to run with a low side pressure of 28psi. At 12 psi, the GM compressor is A) going to run at full stroke constantly (no efficiency benefit, shorter life), and B) flow about 60% of it's normal full capacity (think about a turbo'd engine, and cranking back your boost from 28psi to 12psi--same principle).

Quick Reply: Using Stock Air Compressor with Vintage Air Kit