Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which LSX for Budget Build?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which LSX for Budget Build?

I have a 67 Camaro that I am bringing back from the dead. Sheet metal work is 95% done. I need to determine drive train next.

I am considering an LQ4 (cheapest and most readily available), LQ9 (more expensive and harder to find), or an L92 (very expensive and almost impossible to find). My goal is to build 550 (or more?) rwhp on a budget (yeah, right). What is the least expensive way to get there. I will already have a ton of money invested in the car to get it back on the road. My plan is a street/strip car that can also go cruising. I intend to back the LSX up with a T56 and 3.73 or 4.10 12 bolt. Suspension will be Hotchkis. What do you think?

Would it be a good idea to go with L92 heads on the LQ4 or LQ9? If I buy those aftermarket it may bring the cost up to that of an L92 engine. I read that L92 heads bring the compression of an LQ4 up to 10.5. If so, would L92 heads make an LQ9 too high compression for pump gas (without changing pistons)?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to determine the best direction to move forward with this build.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions! This site is the greatest!!!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:57 PM
Launching!

I am doing the same thing right now.I fully restored my 69 camaro and dropped a fuel injected 5.3 into it.It drives awesome and has great power.When I got the money I will be putting in an LS1 but for now it is perfect.The car is set up for fuel injection so I can put in what ever size motor I want,just tune it to the motor.5.3 's are cheap and make good power and will get you driving your car while you save for the motor you want.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your doing a "Budget" build... then don't count out any of the Gen III or IV engines. They are all great and respond go many bolt on and mod's well (well maybe the 4.8L LOL).

5.3L are almost dirt cheap, 285HP to start, so that is no small beans...

But if you can find a good 6.0L, your a bit ahead of the game.. so.. what is your budget..?
Old 05-12-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What I would do is call up TSP and talk to them about their shortblocks. In my opinion, the best choice is their 416ci LS3/L92 block setup, its aluminum so it will be somewhere around 80-90lbs lighter than a typical cast iron 408, plus the 4.070 bore will unshroud valves better than the 4.030 bore of a typical 408, thus making heads like some ported L92's work even better.

This is the path I will most likely take. I have already done a ton of homework in this department, and this may help you out. The standard 416 from TSP comes with -4cc pistons that come 5 thou out of the hole. The -4cc is from valve reliefs that are good even for the L92 head's 2.16 intake valve size. With my ported L92 heads with 64cc chambers, and a .040 gasket it will put me just a tad over 12.1:1 which will be fine if I go with a cam that will keep the DCR at or below say 8.8:1. A cam like a 230/240 on a 114 with LSK/XER lobes will put the DCR right in the neighborhood of 8.8:1 DCR making it pump gas friendly. With the .040 gasket and deck height of -.005 this puts it at a .035 quench which is a good tight street quench, which will also help fight off detonation. Of course with larger chambers, you can drop the static and yadda yadda but you get the idea. Hope this helps!

p.s. I priced out basically what it would cost to build a 416 shortblock myself and it ends up being chaper just to go with a TSP shortblock, plus much less hassle not having to deal with a machine shop and their turn over time, plus getting all of the parts etc.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Budget is $6k. This is to include the engine, driven accessories (except A/C compr), and ECM/wiring. Will have to add for a tune. I have seen the LQ engines for ~ $1k.

Plan was to get a used engine, freshen it up, change heads (if necessary) and cam, and install. I'm not sure how good the heads are on the LQ4/9. Can they support 500+ hp?

Do you need to bore/stroke these engines to get to this level? New complete rotating assembly probably out of the budget. Could maybe change the crank if I can re-use the rods/pistons.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Launching!

i did a 5.3 vortec/LS1 swap in my 90 e30 BMW, and it wasnt all that exspensive. I guess its all who you know, or if you know what your doing. If you cant do any of your own fabricating its gonna cost more cause shop time isnt cheap. I know a bunch of people for some connections, and i did my whole swap i would say easily under $2500. I did all the fabricating myself, and had a buddy weld my pan. Did all the wiring myself, and pretty much the whole swap.

I may have cut a few corners, but everything seems to be fine. Some things like my exhaust, and intake need to be refabricated, but ill do that later in time
Old 05-13-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

On a budget.....
Check this out:
http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild...ock/index.html
An LQ9s higher compression would be worth a few more hp.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

That's the kind of stuff I am looking for. Super Chevy (June issue) built a very similar set up but used L92 heads. They got 471 hp (417 tq) out of theirs for $4,300 invested. Does that mean the stock 243 head is same or better performer at that level?

Super Chevy used a new GM cam they called the "show room stock" cam to get 506 hp and 437 tq, but they had to spin both to 6600 rpm to get it.

They said the L92 heads brought the LQ4 compression up to ~10.0 from 9.4 with the 243's. Does that mean the L92's would raise the compression of an LQ9 too high for pump gas (with stock pistons)?

I was hoping there was a little more in the stock 364 cu in. Still pondering. Start with an LQ4, LQ9, or L92?

Quick Reply: Which LSX for Budget Build?