Custom pre-made driveshafts..

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 07:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom pre-made driveshafts..

Hello all,
I've finally begun my conversion journey
I have a 5.3/4L60e going into a first gen firebird. I'm sure this combo has been done a zillion times.....soo...are there any vendors making pre-made custom driveshaft (It should always be the same length...right?). If not, does anyone with the above combo and Autokraft/ATS mounts still have their measurements?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, it is always best to make your own measurments. Contact a driveshaft shop and ask them how they would like you to make your measurements. Since these are conversions, there may be variances between what one builder does and another. That said, I would think the ATS folks may be able to give you some suggestions.

Good luck with your project

Pat
Old 05-15-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and if you have your stock one, you can have it re-tubed for like just over a hundred bucks (i paid 113.00 and they did a great job) just make sure you have the correct trans yoke for your 4l60 (there are diff lenghts even between 700r4 and 4l60 even though they are the same spline size and count) the most important thing is spline contact area.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like Stu said, you really need to wait until you hace everything in and get the measurements your drivline shop wants. Our guy wanted 5 measurements before he would make the shaft, then we did a rear end swap and had to have it shortened again! Get the yoke from the donor vehicle if you can, and you can use your old driveshaft for the other end. A good guy can turn it around in a day, and balanced with new joints you should be looking at less than $200.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

There are too many variable to be worth it to do a pre-made driveshaft. Off the top of my head: mount plates, frame stands, frame stand location, subframe position, trans type, trans tailshaft length, rear end type, rear end yoke type, rear end location. And especially on older cars like this, people may not realize everything that has previously been modified.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:03 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys!
My only problem is that I'm in Germany...not easy to go to a "local" driveshaft guy. Once I get it fitted I'll just have to be patient, I guess.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:01 AM
On The Tree

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/

I've used these guys for 3 shafts. NICE product. Try their measuring guide. Hope this helps.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast400
Thanks guys!
My only problem is that I'm in Germany...not easy to go to a "local" driveshaft guy. Once I get it fitted I'll just have to be patient, I guess.
I built a V-8 Vega in Germany way back in the 70s while in the Air Force. They have machinists and driveshafts over there too. Not trying to be a smart-a$$ really. If you can find someone who can translate for you, assuming you are not fluent in German, I'm sure you could find a shop that could build one for you. In most of these swaps, you need to shorten the drive shaft so you should not need parts. You may have to take your measurements in millimeters. The other thing you can do is scrounge junk yards looking for a shaft that is the right length and has the right size U-joints. There used to be a junk yard near Sembach that was full of American cars. Don't know if it is still there. If you are a GI, check with your base/post auto hobby shop and ask where they find their used parts.

I've heard Denny's is an excellent shop also if you can't find something local.

Pat
Old 05-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Launching!

This drawing in the pic is what we supplied to our driveshaft shop (Drivelines NW in Seattle)
-- see post #170 on this page:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...=699289&page=4

Our Camaro OEM driveshaft (unpainted & rusty) came back from Drivelines NW sandblasted, painted, balanced, cut and welded for $260 in (3) days.

LS1 & T56 into 1986 BMW E30
Old 05-20-2008, 01:51 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys! I may actually find a shop here in Germany...though they'll probably want a crazy amount like 1000 Euro's to it, in which case I'll mail to the States.

Quick Reply: Custom pre-made driveshafts..