Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard to swap LS1 into v6 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 10:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard to swap LS1 into v6 Firebird

So i crashed my trans am, I dont wanto talk about it really. I wanto use my motor because its fine, and runs great. So for this reason i dont wanto buy another LS1 Trans am, but rather swap my motor into a firebird. What do I have to do to make this swap? Do the tranny's match up and are they the same Rear's? What about tuning and other things like that? Im going to do this so if someone who knows can point out any differences and what i might need to do this that'd be great.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

use the motor/tranny, cradle, rear, fuel pump assy, possibly fuel lines, wiring, ecm, radiator/fans, all this out of your old car and change it over. i think it would be pretty easy, especially where you have both cars and not just a few parts.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:57 AM
9 Second Club

humm, now the wiring got topled over, because the impact was on that front left side, but i still think its ok. Is the fuel system hard to change over?...
Old 05-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Teching In

no, fuel sys is not hard to change over. You'll need a LS1 pump which will fit directly into the v6 tank. All lines and hoses will connect directly to the ls1 unit. You'll have to figure out the return line, usuall a "T" after the filter and splice it in to the V6's existing return line.

When shopping for your firebird, try to find the same year as your donor car, it will simplify wiring issues.

If you run longtubes (pacesetters I can say for sure, others I'll bet are the same) and your donor firebird has the F41 suspension code, you'll need to use your v8 power steering rack, which should be suspension code fe2 or fe4.

The v6 rear will work if both cars were either with or without tcs (3 vs 4 wire). V6 torque tube & mount work.

The 2000 v6 will be electronic throttle control, so you'll need your ls1 gas pedal & cruise control stuff..

Enjoy cheaper insurance.

Quick Reply: How hard to swap LS1 into v6 Firebird