Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel system alternative

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Fuel system alternative

Found this is the FAQ, has anyone tried something like this on an A body or thoughts on why it would or would not work? Or perhaps some more details or pics on what the original poster is talking about? It would not let me send him a pm for some reason.

I simply adapted the LS1 bucket system to work. What I did was shorten the stock LS1 bucket as much as possible, down to the height of the pump. I tossed the whole top half of the system in the trash, minus the springs. Then I cut a hole in the top of my stock 73 tank, and dropped the bucket in. I then got a third gen sending unit, tweaked it to fit into the 73 tank, tweaked the float/sending unit to read correctly, and ran a fuel injection hose from the fuel pump to the 3rd gen supply line. The height of the pump and rubber line poses a problem with kinking as it exits the pump as it is right ont the top of the tank. I set the pump in the bucket slightly crooked and then inserted a spring into the fuel injection hose to prevent kinking. Conveniantly, one of the springs you saved from the 4th gen fuel pump assembly fits perfectly in a 3/8 hose. I then ran a return line from the 3rd gen unit back into the bucket assembly. Went ahead and made a cover for the top of the tank and sealed it down. Solves every issue I was concerned with. Works just like a factory setup, only it was $40 bucks for hose and clamps and the 3rd gen sending unit.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't see why it wouldn't work, This is what hod rodding is about.. making things work with a little trail and error.

Post some pictures of you setup. Other many find it usefull.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

just to be clear thats the post I found in the FAQ, I haven't tried anything yet...

Quick Reply: Fuel system alternative