Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 in a 97 Dodge Dakota?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 in a 97 Dodge Dakota?

I know many people will hate me for thinking of it, but I honestly think that it would be the most economical way to improve my performance. So, I have a 1997 Dodge Dakota 318 4x4 with the 5-speed NV3500. The engine is slow, my syncros in the tranny are shot and it grinds into almost every gear. Originally I wanted to pull a 360 NV4500 out of a 3/4 ton Ram, but I found a 2005 LQ4 matted to a 4l60e with only 50K miles. The engine includes mounts and wiring harness and I can get the entire combo for under $1K. So, assuming it will fit under my hood, what else would I need to buy to make it fit? Would my NP231 transfer case bolt up to the tranny? In an incident with a ditch I deployed my airbags so selling the truck isn't really an option because I also would have to fix my tranny. However it does open up the idea of paddle shifters since I can get rid of the stock steering wheel. I heard the setting up the electronics and EFI of the Gen III GMs is difficult, but I need to find out what I'd have to do. What computer would I need? Could just a regular engine tuner set it up for my on a dyno? I want to run some extra performance like rockers, a cam, headers, throttle body, intake, and exhaust. So, what else do I need other than what I already have? Oh, also I'm in Cali and I still would need to meet smog which might not even be possible, but I do know a SMOG guy who could help but i perfer getting it to pass legally. Thanks for any advise.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:34 AM
TECH Resident

I dont think you'll have many problems fitting it under the hood. my gf's v6 in her dodge is about the size of my ls1, and the hoods are about 5 feet from the ground.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:38 AM

I also have a 3 inch body lift on it so I should have plenty of room. I'm still not sure about being able to put the engine into the modern truck. Most of the swaps I've seen so far here have been on pre SMOG vehicles.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:42 AM

Oh, would I be able to get the AC to work?
Old 05-26-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Resident

broad questions, anything is possible. It should be as simple as any other swap. just bolt it in. stock gauges might not stay. a/c can be made to work with proper placement or the right brackets. depends how much work you want to do.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a friend that is gonna do the exact same swap. Post up some pics when you get started.

Quick Reply: LQ4 in a 97 Dodge Dakota?