Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS! corvair starting issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS! corvair starting issues.

The LS1 corvair is running like a champ , no codes , running cool but has an odd starting problem.

Sometimes it just doesn't wanna start. Usually you have to wait 5-10 min , or disconnect the battery for it to fire back up. Once it starts it's fine. No issues at all , runs cools and strong.

It threw a code once for the IAC when we were messing with the throttle cable. I cleared it with a scantron and it never came back.

But still does this intermittent starting dance. My initial thought was a ground , but it is too predictable to be a ground.

The harness is a Howell

any ideas?

thanks!

J.McCreery
LS1 Vair.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dunno if it applies to your harness but when I had my fbody I had the same exact problem. Ended up being a flakey ignition relay..

Tails
Old 05-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Ok , I am relaying the info from my dad via blackberry.

I am in toronto , he is in Syracuse NY.

He waited 30 min and it started right up , makes me think it's an open vs Closed loop issue. I am taking down a scantron tonight to take a look at whats going on...anything I should look for?

It's not running hot either..if anything it's probably a little cold . 180-190 in the block TOPS and 150 in the rad.

It seems to me that once the car is in closed loop and tries to restart it won't

coolant temp sensor?

Last edited by Lowerit; 05-30-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

could it possible that it is flooded ?.. has he tried to floor the throttle to put it into Flood mode when it happens (not starting)?

or holding the throttle Wide Open for about 30 seconds and then try starting it ?

But, yeah.. check all of the sensors & connectors, could just be a bad one or loose.

Just something to try.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have access to a scanner that will display sensor data, look at the coolant temperature reading. See if it is close to approximate engine temperature. Ground problems on the CTS will often cause them to read excessively low causing the engine to flood when warm. You may be able get it started if that is the case by flooring the throttle and cranking it for 5 sec., shutting the key off, release the throttle and crank again.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Teching In

thanks guys!! ..The throttle Trick (holding it down) worked great. replaced the sensor yesterday and completed the trip.

all in all she made it 650 miles. The porsche tranny works great , at 75mph it's turning over 1200RPM!! Car is fairly quiet and smooth...

Quick Reply: LS! corvair starting issues.