Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Mechanical Throttle Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 Mechanical Throttle Questions

Well I am on my second LS2 swap in a second gen camaro. This time a new 2005 LS2 with an Thunder Racing LS2 Cheater cam and springs, EFI connection LS1 harness, 2002 Camaro PCM with custom tune, and 90mm mechanical Throttle body. I have a few issues that I need some help with.

You can check out this and other projects on my website: http://custom-musclecars.com
            Thanks!
            Old 06-01-2008, 03:42 AM
            TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had to build my own throttle cable bracket. I did see a universal one on ebay a couple of days ago that actually looked pretty good, but it's gone now. The dumbass seller had it started out a $2 with $34 shipping. Someone most likely turned him in for excessive shipping and got the auction closed. Do not cap off the steam tubes. They have to bleed steam out of the heads. You can hook them to the top of the water pump or the radiator. Either place will work. I can't help on the a/c schematic or pedal, but here is a good yoke for you. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
            Old 06-01-2008, 10:53 AM
            TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Custom-Musclecars
            • What to do with the steam tube from the engine? Some say cap it off, others run it to the water pump, others to the radiator or overflow?
            • I need a schematic for an 02 Camaro AC relay, I already added the pins to the PCM harness, but I need a user friendly conversion schematic.
            • What throttle pedal to use for the 67 Camaro with the cable? I filled the holes in the firewall to eliminate the stock pedal linkage
            • What is the Dana/Spicer trans output yoke part# for the T56?
            - the purpose of the steam tube is to let steam pockets escape from the heads. The steam needs to find its way to the expansion tank. For most of us, the expansion tank is the radiator itself, not a separate tank. The best place to run it is straight to the radiator, near the top. On mine, I tapped the top of the water pump. Some people tee it into the heater return hose. IMO either of those two will work OK. I think GM used the heater hose for it on some model of SUV. Capping it is a bad idea. I've seen several "testimonials" of people who have been driving on the street with it capped, but not a single one of them had verified that they weren't tripping the knock sensors.

-here's a good thread about AC wiring: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/841036-ac-pressure-sensor-question.html. There's a schematic attached to #11.

- I'm running a stock (repop) '69 6cyl pedal with a Lokar cable, but that requires the hole you filled. The pro-steet guys seem to like generic Lokar pedal, not the Camaro-specfic Lokar pedals. The Camaro-specific pedal would need the hole you filled, and I hear it's kinda flimsy anyway.

- It's a TH350 yoke (27 spline). The exact part # will depend on the ujoint you run. My driveshaft takes 1350 ujoints, so I'm running a Strange #U1662 yoke (don't know the original Spicer part #).
            Old 06-02-2008, 08:00 AM
            On The Tree

Custom- Musclecars, You have a shop that large and don't have access to wiring schematics? Like alldata or Mitchell on Demand, Shopkey? Please.......How do you stay in business?
            Old 06-02-2008, 08:46 AM
            TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a stock 1998 Camaro throttle cable, readily available, fairly cheap and easily modified.
            Old 06-02-2008, 08:53 AM
            11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am using a stock 6 cylinder pedal as well and a 2002 Camaro production cable. Works great and very inexpensive.
            Old 06-03-2008, 12:14 AM
            Teching In

Thanks for all the help guys, except for SS Volvo who is full of assumptions and offers nothing of value. Actually, I dont have a big shop, right now its just me and one other guy with occasional helpers. We do total restorations, usually upgrading everything but keeping the original body lines and styling. We only do about 5 cars a year, some carb cars, so we dont need to pay upwards of $300 a month for schematics on alldata or mitchell. That doesnt make any sense when I can get all the info I need here or other sites that do LS or new Hemi swaps. Thats how I stay in business by not wasting money. If I had a big shop and 10 techs that worked on 20 new cars a week, I would consider it. Otherwise I have all the schems I need. Plus, in the forums the schems are sometimes edited for conversions, eliminating all the BS thats not necessary. I scrap all the old wiring from every car and wire them from the ground up, adding circuits for everything from EFI to DVD/Nav systems. They all start on first try and have little or no problems with 3 years and thousands of miles on them.
            Anyways, I got my parts from Street and performance today, the LS2 throttle cable bracket, its a decent piece which saves me time from fabbing one from scratch, but the cable hole is in the wrong place. No biggie, weld it up and drill in the right place. All the other conversion parts I ordered fit nice and save me alot of time. I have learned that sure you can make just about anything, but if someone mass produces something that makes my life easier, and gets the job done faster, its worth the $40 or $50.
            Does anyone have a pic of the 6 cylinder pedal installed with the cable attachment on a LS1 or LS2? Im trying to get some ideas, the customer wants a stock Camaro interior appearance if possible. I also got the G Stock gauge set from classic instruments. They look really nice, and all of them fit nicely in the stock gauge carrier in the dash and in the stock center console gauge cluster. They do a great job of putting together a nice gauge package for conversions that include everything you need to do it right without running around looking for fittings etc.
            Old 06-03-2008, 12:35 AM
            TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

So your LS2 ha the 24 tooth crank wheel? If your LS2 uses the 58 tooth reluctor wheel then you are SOL in terms of using a cable throttle body. Must use drive by wire.

Andrew
            Old 06-04-2008, 01:48 PM
            Staging Lane

Bump for Shane.

P.S. I'm using the same setup as the OP and am wondering if there's a lower profile TB than the FAST 90? I would like to upgrade from the stock LS2 intake to the FAST, but the TB is already really close to the hood.

Thanks for any help!
            Old 06-04-2008, 03:08 PM
            TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by scv8
            Bump for Shane.

P.S. I'm using the same setup as the OP and am wondering if there's a lower profile TB than the FAST 90? I would like to upgrade from the stock LS2 intake to the FAST, but the TB is already really close to the hood.

Thanks for any help!
            The Holley throttle body has the mounting surface machined a little differently and should give you a little more hood clearance than the FAST TB.

Andrew
            Old 06-04-2008, 06:50 PM
            Staging Lane

Andrew- Thanks for the reply! I just checked it out online and you're right. Thanks for the help! Trav
            Old 06-04-2008, 07:00 PM
            TECH Senior Member

Andrew- Thanks for the reply! I just checked it out online and you're right. Thanks for the help! Trav
            LOL....What did you think, I was just making up some random ****?

Andrew
            Old 06-04-2008, 07:07 PM
            Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
            LOL....What did you think, I was just making up some random ****?

Andrew
            LOL! No, just didn't think the profile would be that much lower, but it's drastically different. Maybe it won't stick, either?
            Old 06-04-2008, 07:10 PM
            TECH Senior Member

LOL! No, just didn't think the profile would be that much lower, but it's drastically different. Maybe it won't stick, either?
            I used to work at Holley. I know a ton of work went into the design of that throttle body. I can't vouch for the current state of manufacturing over there, but the design is top notch. It even has a contoured entry for smoother off idle response.

Andrew
            Old 06-04-2008, 10:10 PM
            Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
            I know a ton of work went into the design of that throttle body.
            Andrew
            Sold. Thanks!

Quick Reply: LS2 Mechanical Throttle Questions