Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any major differences with a 1st gen S10 LS1 conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Any major differences with a 1st gen S10 LS1 conversion?

I've seen many conversions with the newer SROD but few with a 1st gen. I have a LQ4 6.0 begging to go in my 82!
Old 06-02-2008, 04:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The s-10 swap is pretty much the same for first and second gen..... They use the same mounts but a first gen is alot easier from a wiring standpoint...
Old 06-03-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carshopinc.com
The s-10 swap is pretty much the same for first and second gen..... They use the same mounts but a first gen is alot easier from a wiring standpoint...
How so? I want to fuel inject it and I'm thinking of a TKO 600 behind it. Is that possible? Will I need a stand alone engine controller to use the Tko or just a pcm and harness from a LS1 6speed F-bod?
Old 06-03-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Pcm and harness from an f-car will do you just fine. you are lucky and still have the electrically dinosaur truck.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The easy part is your first gen is about as bare bones as it gets wiring wise...... No bcm's no bs..... The tko can be mounted to your engine with the correct bellhousing your can use your stock harness and just flash the pcm to shut off all trans controls... Very simple light chassis to work with....
Old 06-07-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just like the others have said, its a pretty straight forward swap, aside from wiring the 1st and 2nd gens are the same as far as fitment swap parts goes.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

O.k so basically the 6.0 with the Corvette accessory brackets will work right? I've been skimming over the LS1 S10ERS thread but there is so much in there. Can some one sum this up for me? It would prolly also make it much simpler for someone else to find as well.

What do I need to do about my guages? I know that the T56 has an electric speed sensor and I have a cable, what do I do with that? As far as guages are concerned I guess I can use typical auto meter guages and tap into the correct places right? I guess I need a good refference to study for this.

Any long tube headers readily available yet? I'm not too cojncerned with the fuel system, I prolly can add a sump and run some braided line with in line filters an Aeromotive pump and billet fuel rails with an Aeromotive pressure regulator.

I guess there are a lot of uncertainties that I'd like for someone to help me clear up. It would be nice if there were a simple thread for just the 1st gen S10's even though much of the info is universal, there are many things that arent necassery fo 1st gen guys to do and some that prolly need to be done that 2nd gen guys don't have to do.

Thanks guys, obviously this isn't a project that I will be starting immediately, I can't afford for my truck to be down that long + I'd never get it done seeing how the wife would likely murder me.

Quick Reply: Any major differences with a 1st gen S10 LS1 conversion?