Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about truck harness.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about truck harness.

Before I start let me say that I have used the search function and am still confused.

I am getting deeper in my mustang conversion and have some serious questions about the harness. I have a complete harness and computer from a 6.0 truck and will be using my 4l80e. I will not be running any a/c, air pump, or ps. I understand that the injector plugs on a truck are diff. than on a ls1. My question is I have the stock set of injectors from the truck if they are large enough wouldnt I be ahead to just use these injectors then buying diff. plugs for my harness and using fbody injectors. I will only need around 26# injectors.

I need a writeup on making my own harness into a stand alone harness similar to what speartech does. I know several wires can be removed from the harness since I will have no use for them, I just need to know exactly what I need and do not need.

Also what would be the most cost effective way to get a working speedometer? Should I make my own gauge pod or should I try and use a camaro cluster? I just want to make sure that my headlights, turn signals, wipers and windows are still in working order.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

I understand that the injector plugs on a truck are diff. than on a ls1. My question is I have the stock set of injectors from the truck if they are large enough wouldnt I be ahead to just use these injectors then buying diff. plugs for my harness and using fbody injectors. I will only need around 26# injectors.
What manifold are you using? Truck manifold or f body style? If you're using the truck manifold then use the truck injectors and fuel rails. I think the truck injectors are taller and will not work with the f body fuel rail, thus the need for different injectors and plugs. The f body fuel rail is returnless while the truck fuel rail has a return line.

As for eliminating unneeded wires in the harness, it would be in your best interest to obtain the wire diagrams for the harness you have. Once you figure out what wires you will be using, you will be able to eliminate the wires that are responsible for accessories you will not be running.

I think AutoMeeter has a gage that will work with your harness. If your old speedo is cable dirven than there is a device that will convert the electrical signal from your new transmission to a rotary cable to feed your old speedo. I don't know who makes it or where its available. You would have to do some searching.

I just want to make sure that my headlights, turn signals, wipers and windows are still in working order.
The swap will not affect these items. You will be keeping your original fuse panel where things like headlights and wipers are all wired in. You need to use a fuse block from the same vehicle your harness came from that will be responsible for engine related electrics such as fuel pump and so on. You will be surprised how much actually can be eliminated from the wire harness. A lot of your original wiring will still be used. For example, your fuel gage will most likely operate off of your original sending unit.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

I was wanting to use an ls6 intake not the truck intake. Also on the fuel system being returnless or not, on the mustang I am using it already had a very nice fuel system and line on it. It has dual 255 pumps and some nice fuel line am I going to be able to use any of this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: question about truck harness.