Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LQ4 into G-Body Swap (updates to come)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My LQ4 into G-Body Swap (updates to come)

I'll start off in the beginning.

I bought my '83 Monte Carlo a few years ago for my first car (I'm only 15). I'm doing a body-off "restorification". I was originally going to put a ZZ4 350 crate motor in it, but then I heard all the good about the LS series engines. So I started searching for one and found an LQ4 out of a '99 Silverado. I found it using http://www.car-part.com/

Now I'm working on Swaping/Converting everything to fit this motor in the Monte. I have the transmission in its stock location. There is plenty of room for the motor in the engine bay, even with the AC / Heater box.

So far, I have the motor mounts figured out. I have Solid motor mounts for a first Generation Chevy engine from Moroso (Part numbers...Lower mount: 62630, Upper mount: 62515, Both Moroso). I came up with dimensions for an adaptor plate that my brother was going to make, but after research, I found that Edelbrock has exactly what i needed (Part #6701)

Moroso 62630

Moroso 62515

Edl 6701

I just got the mounts and adapter plates lined up and they are a perfect fit. Here are some pictures of test fitting everything:

The motor

Trans mounted in stock location

Stock truck oil pan below crossmemeber (from front)

Right (PS) motor mount

Left (DS) motor mount

OIl pan clearance to cross member (from left side)

I will have many updates as soon as there's more progress.

Last edited by Monte83; 07-03-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Just a heads up, if you keep the turbo 350/2004r in the stock location using the stock trans location, you can use a Cadillac CTS-V pan, pickup, and windage tray. It only hangs 1/2" or so below the engine crossmember and fits real good.

Once my headers show I plan on firing up my LQ4 swap.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

I hear that the LH8 Hummer 5.3 Oil pan is a good fit as well. It's also what comes in the BRP G-Body kit. Any feedback either way?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:46 AM
On The Tree

It appears the CTS-V pan is a little shallower, I dont have any experience w/ the hummer pan so I really couldnt tell ya.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can also knotch and box in the frame cross member a little and then use the f-body pan. It won't stick down at all and you have no worries about ever dragging it off if you hit an extra large pot hole or speed bump.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
You can also knotch and box in the frame cross member a little and then use the f-body pan. It won't stick down at all and you have no worries about ever dragging it off if you hit an extra large pot hole or speed bump.
Yeah, but I don't want to do that much. I want to keep the frame the way it is and build around it
Old 07-03-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Either way will work. You just can't lower with the pan sticking down like that. Mine is lowered two inches in the front, so I had to do that.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Either way will work. You just can't lower with the pan sticking down like that. Mine is lowered two inches in the front, so I had to do that.

Also Moroso has a pan that doesn't hang down, and i woulnd't need to notch the cross memeber, but I'd need a remote oil filter (but thats alright, I want a racey look anyway).
Moroso Part #20140 http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=17002 (scroll down to bottom)

Here's a link to another G-Body build, doing the same as me: http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/vi...p?f=34&t=68969
Old 03-22-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Monte83, I LOVE this post, it shows so much. I just wish you had a pic of the frame pad mounted to the frame without anything else in the way. Id like to see how it bolted on and if you had to do any drilling or anything. Thanks for the great post.

Quick Reply: My LQ4 into G-Body Swap (updates to come)