Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine start up

Old 07-04-2008, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine start up

Im hoping to have my LQ4 swap running next weekend. The motor has been sitting for a good year now and turns over freely. It has 40k miles on it. I changed the oil pan, pump, and pickup, along with the cam, pushrods, and springs. I plan on leaving the plugs out and then cranking it a bit to build up some pressure.

I'll then install the plugs, get it going and up to temp, then change the oil/filter after 30min or so.

Now since the motor has been sitting, should I spray some WD40 or mystery oil in the cylinders? Or should I be ok as is?

Any other suggestions?
Old 07-04-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It should be just fine like it is.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would put in a bit and hand crank it a few times, then under power till you get some oil pressure. Remember to pull the fuse for the fuel pump and coils.. Did you pack the new oil pump with some heavy Oil or grease?
Old 07-05-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Resident

You don't need to kill the coils, just the fuel pump or injectors.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:18 AM
On The Tree

You might make sure you have oil pressure before you install the plugs. LS engines that sit around don't prime very well. If you can't get oil pressure right off then remove the oil filter and put a shop vac at the filter adapter and have someone crank it over. Makes a HUGE mess of your vacuum but primes in a few seconds. Problem is the oil pump is above the level of oil in the pan, making pump priming a PITA.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I started my LS1 last week after it sat for a year and a half. I pulled the plugs and turned it over - no oil pressure. I read here that jacking up the back end will help get oil into the oil pump. I had to jack it up at least three feet (I have a lift) until I got 20 psi cranking oil pressure. I then started it up and have a solid 40 psi at idle. Others have overfilled the crankcase to get good cranking pressure and then drained it back to normal before starting the engine. Either way I would recommend that you get oil pressure cranking without the plugs before you start the engine.

Don
Old 07-05-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not recommend spraying WD40 into the cylinders. It has a cleaning effect and is such a light viscosity it may not give the desired result. Some other sort of non silicon lubricant might be worth doing. My engine had sat for nearly 3 years with running. I spun it to get oil moving then fired it up and pressure came right up. I had a tapping lifter for a few minutes, but it got quiet after about 5 minutes.

Pat
Old 07-05-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine sat for over a year and a half with no oil in it. I replaced the pump and pan etc and i filled my remote mount oil filter lines with oil to prime the pump. It had pressure immediately. I did a compreession check i had all 7 cylinders from 30psi to 60psi and one at 135 psi which had me worried. It fired right up and i let it heat cycle a few times. Then i compression tested it again and got 150-152psi everywhere.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used Marvel Mystery Oil in the Cylinders..

I just fired up my 1948 Ford Truck, which had been sitting since 1975.. I had been soaking the cylinder every few days and hand cranking it over for about 2 week, I then used the starter to crank the engine over until I got some oil pressure.
I then was able to start the engine up and after some more work (tune up, rebuilt carb, fuel system, etc), it has a nice 600 RPM idle.

On my 99 LS1, it had been sitting for about a year.. and on restarting it. I had zero oil pressure. I put in a LS6 pump and filled it with STP and on restarting, pressure came right up.

good. luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine start up