Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VVT-equipped L92 into my '89 Trans Am GTA (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:19 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

My Tick master works great
Old 08-01-2014, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Same here
Old 08-01-2014, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs down

OK, apparently I need to ask here on the forum which master cylinder everyone's using. (At least those of us with thirdgens, anyway.) I called Tick a few minutes ago, & they weren't interested in helping me choose which one to use. The guy also mentioned that they don't honor any kind of warranty for parts used in swaps - but they are happy to take our money & wish us 'good luck with that!!' (Now I know that they don't have any way to know how the item's installed, but they really don't have that for 'custom-fit' apps either...)

Anyway, I'd appreciate getting confirmation on which application everyone's using - I'm guessing it's probably the 4th-gen F-body, but want to be sure before ordering. Thanks guys.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
OK, apparently I need to ask here on the forum which master cylinder everyone's using. (At least those of us with thirdgens, anyway.) I called Tick a few minutes ago, & they weren't interested in helping me choose which one to use. The guy also mentioned that they don't honor any kind of warranty for parts used in swaps - but they are happy to take our money & wish us 'good luck with that!!' (Now I know that they don't have any way to know how the item's installed, but they really don't have that for 'custom-fit' apps either...)

Anyway, I'd appreciate getting confirmation on which application everyone's using - I'm guessing it's probably the 4th-gen F-body, but want to be sure before ordering. Thanks guys.
The 4th and 3rd gen masters are interchangeable.
Here's a write up on tgo http://m.thirdgen.org/techboard/showthread.php?t=638361

Last edited by stereojnky; 08-01-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stereojnky
The 4th and 3rd gen masters are interchangeable.
Here's a write up on tgo http://m.thirdgen.org/techboard/showthread.php?t=638361
Awesome, thank you!
Old 08-02-2014, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Tick installed my master... not sure who you talked to
Old 08-02-2014, 12:40 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Its an easy install. 4th gen master here, slight dimpling of the fender well/tower required. Much easier if you remove the booster but doable without.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, I haven't posted any updates in a while because rather than working on the car, I've been doing a couple of projects around the house while the weather's nice, as well as updating my garage a bit - I'm trying to make it a bit more efficient/easier to work in, as well as making it pleasant/workable regardless of the weather outside.

However, I did order the Tick master cylinder ($$$ ) today, as well as a piece for my pickup that I'm hoping will allow me to start driving it again... (Crossing my fingers...)
Old 08-16-2014, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

I'm seriously excited about an "upgrade" that I made today, should make a BIG difference when it comes to working on the car... I'm going back out to the garage to do some finishing work on it, hope to have pictures of it (mostly!) completed later tonight...

Oh, here's a hint about the upgrade - My 7-1/2" Skil circular saw gave it's life to make this possible...

EDIT: (If I don't have pictures up tonight, I should be able to post them up some time tomorrow...)

Last edited by V8Rumble; 08-16-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

What a tease
Old 08-17-2014, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

It's tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by stereojnky
It's tomorrow.
You are correct sir! (Hell, it's nearly the day after tomorrow on the East coast!) I apologize for the time it's taken to get this posted, but I had to take care of "normal life responsibilities" before I could spend time doing the stuff that I actually wanted to do...

Anyway, this is something that I've "lusted after" for a long, LONG time - and I've got to say a BIG thanks to my neighbor who not only provided that irreplaceable "2nd pair of hands", but also brought his circular saw over after mine bit the dust (rather literally - I had a diamond-edged blade in it to get through the exterior wall, & my saw died after the hole was about 3/4 cut out...) (We really need a "Rest In Peace" smiley...)

So, between this, & the propane heater that my wife got me a little while back, I should be able to keep the garage at a workable temperature regardless of what it's doing outside. (Although I need to get another propane tank before it gets cold, since mine just passed outside of the 10-year certification, & my local propane place won't refill it any more.) And it's not like this is a real big deal, it's just an $80 window A/C unit that I found in the local classifieds, but after a couple of hours running (it was about 90* outside today), it was probably around 74* or so inside the garage...

To get back to the project car, I've been sitting back, trying to see everything that still needs to be done, & making a list (with dependencies, priorities, etc.) so that I can create a plan of attack with the goal of getting the car running by February. I figure that if I can get it running by then, I'll have a really good shot at FINALLY being able to participate in one of the largest cruises in the Rocky Mtn area in 2015 (you can see a few pics here).

I'd LOVE to say that I'm going to be able to spend 3 or 4 days/week working on it, but given my work schedule, that's just not realistic. Aside from the hours that I've been working, I've set a professional goal of gaining at least basic proficiency in a new scripting language by the end of the year, & that's one of the things that I'll be graded on during my next review, so that's really not "optional" for me.

And I still have three projects around the house that I'm going to try to get done before it starts getting cold again. I'm thinking that realistically, I can probably commit to one night/week, & then a good part of each Saturday. I'm hoping that setting aside a specific time to be working on it will work better than my ad-hoc efforts so far.

I think that one of the first things that I'll try to complete is to replace the GM clutch master cylinder with the Tick unit that arrived this last week, & then see if there's anything else that needs to be completed before I drop the engine back in. I'll probably post my list here once I feel that it's "moderately" complete, just to invite feedback & see if anyone here thinks of anything that I've forgotten...

Thanks for reading, guys!
Old 08-18-2014, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey all, I have a quick question & I'm hoping that someone who reads this will be able to answer -

How does the L76 intake manifold (from around '07 or '08) compare to the LS3 intake manifold??

Are there any significant differences, or are they pretty close to the same???

Thanks guys!
Old 08-19-2014, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Not much: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...manifolds.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-manifold.html
Old 08-19-2014, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome, THANK YOU sir!

(Should have thought to have done a search myself...)
Old 08-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Teching In

My intake was advertised as a L76 take-off. Turns out it is LS3.

The two MAP sensors are calibrated differently, so you need to use the one that is compatible with your computer. I didn't know it at the time, but I would have been better off with the L76 because the MAP sensor is the same as my LQ4 system, but I managed to get it to work.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by five7kid
My intake was advertised as a L76 take-off. Turns out it is LS3.

The two MAP sensors are calibrated differently, so you need to use the one that is compatible with your computer. I didn't know it at the time, but I would have been better off with the L76 because the MAP sensor is the same as my LQ4 system, but I managed to get it to work.
Thanks five7, that makes perfect sense - and it's just another one of those minor little "gotcha's" that can raise their heads & bite ya if you don't have every little I dotted & t crossed... Glad to see that it wasn't too big of a hassle.

Made a slight (?) diversion from the "plan" within the last day or so, but it wasn't TOO much of a detour, considering that it was something that was always something that I'd always planned on getting - I just thought that it would be a ways on down the road.

BUT, since I happened to be watching the classifieds last night when the ad was posted... And since I happened to have a little bit of money in the "GTA fund"... Well... When this popped up, I jumped on it & crossed my fingers that I was quick enough - and as it turns out, I was.

Maybe I'll post up another picture or two once it actually arrives...
Old 08-29-2014, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got the new (to me) FAST 102 intake manifold in my grubby little mitts today... It's a bit heavier than what I expected, definitely beefier than the stock L76 intake that it's replacing...

And I know you can't tell (based on the activity in this thread) that I've been at all active, but I've actually been sitting back & giving a LOT of thought to what I'm wanting to accomplish with this car, & I'm pretty sure that I've figured out one of the things that's previously had me stumped - and (as so often happens), the solution is a GOOD BIT simpler than what I'd originally envisioned... There's a good chance that I'll draw it out on a piece of paper, & post it here, just to get some constructive peer review (I honestly don't mind "critical" review either, that's how you work out the bugs/get to the best design!).

And finally, I'm finding that there are a few more items than I'd originally thought that depend on me getting my welder working correctly again (And depend as well on me developing some basic welding skill once the welder is feeding wire correctly again...), so I'm going to be devoting some time & effort to developing that as a skill.

I think that this weekend's goal is for me to replace the existing stock clutch master cylinder with the Tick master cylinder. Anything that I can get done beyond that is going to be a bonus. (Have family coming up, so I'm probably not going to have a LOT of time to work on the car...)
Old 08-30-2014, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

When you put the tick master in, be sure the push rod is perfectly strait to the travel path. If that means dremeling the holes a bit, so be it
Old 08-30-2014, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pocket
When you put the tick master in, be sure the push rod is perfectly strait to the travel path. If that means dremeling the holes a bit, so be it
Yep, that's the plan, thanks Pocket. When I first mounted the stock clutch master cylinder (after measuring/checking at least twice), I saw that I'd still managed to install it a little bit offset, so that the pushrod was going to have a bit of side-loading on it.

That was one of the things that kind of quenched my enthusiasm for the project, because I was determined that I wasn't going to hog out the hole for that, I wanted to "keep my firewall looking NICE - I don't want some Joe-Dirt-looking hack job"!! (Gave myself a little bit of unnecessary stress over that...)

TODAY, my thought is "F*** IT!! I want to be able to actually DRIVE this damn thing one day, & no one's going to be looking down there anyway!!"

EDIT: Thought I'd ask a question that I've had in the back of my mind for the last several days - I'm pretty much sold on the Comp Cams trunnion upgrade for rocker arms, but so far I haven't seen the need to buy a shop press. I've heard of people doing that swap using a bench vise, & even a C-clamp. My question is, will a bench vise work OK for that?? Thanks guys.

Last edited by V8Rumble; 08-30-2014 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Added a question

Quick Reply: VVT-equipped L92 into my '89 Trans Am GTA (with pics)