Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Covans Classic gauges **BUYER BEWARE**

Old 07-12-2008, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covans Classic gauges **BUYER BEWARE**

Read this before spending any money with this company!
I wanted all Autometer gauges for the Silverado. I looked around and decided on the large Autometer phantoms and the gauge panel from Covans Classic. I didn't like the idea of spending a grand on gauges but they looked great in the pictures. I contacted Covans and they assured me the quality was top of the line and if I wasn't satisfied they would take them back. When the gauges came in I was satisfied with the gauges. Very nice. But the panel ($250) to mount them is was junk! A cheap looking piece of plastic. The fit is a joke, it was very flimsy, and the gauges point at your waist. Much lower quality than the factory piece. So I called Covans about returning them and they wouldn't because I had opened the gauges. I emailed the owner and customer support about this and neither ever responded. I saw the owner at his booth at Super Chevy and discussed this with him. Of course he never saw the email but was familiar with the problems and showed me the new design of that panel. It was a little better. He said he would swap it for mine if I would send mine back and it looked ok. I sent it back over 1 month ago and still no panel. No one at Covans will return my call or send me a panel. Very poor product and even worse service!

http://www.covansclassic.com/parts/d...1267.211.12.34
Old 07-12-2008, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

I have heard several guys have the same "sub par" quality complaint, that's the main reason I never bought them. Sorry to hear about it, I hear the "new" design is of the same craptastic quality...
For now, I'll just run the 91 burb cluster til something else materializes.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Here is the email I sent them twice with no response.

I have a problem with your gauge panel package 130-73-50011 for my 86 Silverado. The auto meter gauges are great. The problem is with the black plastic panel. The quality of this piece is VERY LOW!!!!!! It is nowhere near the quality of the factory panel. It is flimsy, the cuts are bad, the fit is terrible and they point right at your waist. My eyes are not in my waist. They need to angle toward your head like the factory ones do. The fit around the dash (a new pad from GM) is way off. This is a very nice restored truck and this panel sticks out like a sore thumb. I have talked to some people who have installed this piece and they had the same problem and reported it back to you so I know you are aware of this problem. I find it hard to believe you sell this piece at top shelf prices with this level of quality. For a grand in gauges you expect so much more. The strength, fit, look and function should be far above the factory piece for that price. People buy this package to have Auto Meter gauges in a factory looking panel. Yours looks like a cheap piece of plastic. The panel needs to be thick, strong plastic with a brushed aluminum face just like the truck came with.
So far, I have not made this problem public and if you have a fair solution I will not. But, rest assured, if I am stuck with this problem it will be public.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:58 AM
On The Tree

It's a very short river that has only one bend.
I would go to EBAY and see if they sell thru them. Go to one of their auctions and under "ask buyer a question" ask them a question like " My buddy bought a bad panel from you and you wouldn't return his calls, emails...so why should I buy from you losers? At least other buyers will beware.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

file a claim with the Better Business Bureau in Covans state. They wont want that on their record and they will solve this. Trust me, Ive been through it with another company. It is a subtle way to handle it. Just look under "file a claim"

Covan is in Cummings GA 30040

Cummings is just north of atlanta so this is the office file with

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/GetStarted.aspx

When the case is solve you can leave positive results for Covan and they will settle up with you
Old 07-13-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Dispute the CC charge?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to stir the pot, but did you do any research before you bought the gauge cluster? I was looking into them but when I realized that they were made of plastic I thought it was crazy to spend 250 bucks on a cluster that was made of plastic. I bought one that was made of aluminum from a member on another board and was more than pleased with the quality and only paid 100 bucks.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

I bought just the bezel for my 74 Camaro. It was the "aluminum" piece. Unbelievably cheap looking, and poor fit. I ended up spraying it black with what unded up looking like a nice textured panel. Also took quite a while to cut to fit just right. But the guages did point at me ...maybe the 2nd gen is better.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

i was going to ues this setup on my truck, but not now! i think i will just keep the one i modified.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 72Elkytpi
file a claim with the Better Business Bureau in Covans state. They wont want that on their record and they will solve this. Trust me, Ive been through it with another company. It is a subtle way to handle it. Just look under "file a claim"

Covan is in Cummings GA 30040

Cummings is just north of atlanta so this is the office file with

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/GetStarted.aspx

When the case is solve you can leave positive results for Covan and they will settle up with you

The only time I have ever needed to use the BBB was with my business and that was a complete waste of time. BBB dropped the claim because the company I filed against wouldn't answer BBB.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Not trying to stir the pot, but did you do any research before you bought the gauge cluster? I was looking into them but when I realized that they were made of plastic I thought it was crazy to spend 250 bucks on a cluster that was made of plastic. I bought one that was made of aluminum from a member on another board and was more than pleased with the quality and only paid 100 bucks.
Yes. Trust me when say I did not want to spend a grand on gauges. I had seen the covans setup in a camro and it looked ok. They look great on their site and to hear covans describe this piece it is even better than the factory one. And for $250 you feel like you are ordering a quality piece. The factory one is plastic and works/looks fine. But the factory piece is thick and strong. It fits perfectly. The one from covans is a flimsy thin piece that doesn't fit well at all.
Who is the manufacturer of the one you used? At this point I dont know if I will use the new style even if I can get them to send it. It is a slightly better design but still will be a weak point to this truck.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for posting such a valuable info. Hope everyone does the same when thay had this type of problem with any kind of product.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats why I always buy with my Amex card, they will refund any purchase if the buyer is not satisfied.

I was going to go the Covan dash in my 66 NOva, man I'm glad I went with the Dakota Digital instead.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

Still no call, email or panel from Covans. I called several times yesterday. Their main line #770-667-7684 goes to a message saying their mailbox is full.

Last edited by 86 Silverado LS1; 07-15-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the heads up on this company. The price was over the top for me, (for something made of plastic). I went with a Dakota Digital for my 64 Nova. You can reuse your stock mounting for their guage setup on the Novas but you can also use a chrome one that someone makes. I haven't been able to locate the chrome guage bezel anywhere for my car but I have seen them in several mags.

RGJ
Old 07-15-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 86 Silverado LS1
Yes. Trust me when say I did not want to spend a grand on gauges. I had seen the covans setup in a camro and it looked ok. They look great on their site and to hear covans describe this piece it is even better than the factory one. And for $250 you feel like you are ordering a quality piece. The factory one is plastic and works/looks fine. But the factory piece is thick and strong. It fits perfectly. The one from covans is a flimsy thin piece that doesn't fit well at all.
Who is the manufacturer of the one you used? At this point I dont know if I will use the new style even if I can get them to send it. It is a slightly better design but still will be a weak point to this truck.
It was not a manufacturer it was an individual that does it in his spare time. Here is a pic.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

cam72aro,
got any more pics or info to get in touch with this person?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Launching!

we used one in a 69 camaro build we did....3 time was a charm....finally got a good fit
Old 07-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 86 Silverado LS1
Still no call, email or panel from Covans. I called several times yesterday. Their main line #770-667-7684 goes to a message saying their mailbox is full.
I am so glad you posted this on here. I almost considered buying a setup, however the plastic panel they sell does seem flimsy from what many people say.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Launching!

i bought one for my 71 monte. headlite switch hole is wrong( due to the differance from chevelle). plastic is VERY cheap. If you are even thinking bout putting radio thru it forget it. will flex. i am fortunate enough to work in a machine shop and made an aluminum plate to mount the radio, airride controls and such on top the plastic and used allen screws thru their plastic into my orig.plastic behind. I will put a pic up. Acttually looks decent.also bought and installed my own autometers. Very crappy fit around the vents too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Covans Classic gauges **BUYER BEWARE**