Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking For Opinions On How To Get 150 Hp!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For Opinions On How To Get 150 Hp!

Hey all! I ve been lurking about for a couple years here now. Lots of great info here.

I'm also a long time member at v8rx7forum.com.

What I'm looking for is to gain about 150 to 200 HP on my 1986 LS1/4L60E RX7.

I dont want to give up my daily driver features, but I'd like to be able to compete with the guys that I've been racing at Lacrosse speedway, Its a 300foot drag race. I've won the "tuner" class once, and now they've banned me lol. I'm force to race against some 10 second cars now in the hotrod class. and well I'm not even close to them.

What I've been looking into is a combination of N2O and methanol/ water injection! I'm thinkin about 150 shot N20. I've looked into cams and lots of other options as well, but I daily drive my ride to work, and I'm not really interested in makin it a dedicated drag car( at this point anyway). I also let the little lady drive it too so I'm in favor of being able to "turn off" the extra power!

What do you guys think? Anybody running a stock LS1 in this way? What kind of "damage" if any would I be putting into my engine with this stuff?

So far I'm lookin at about $700.00 or so for this type of set up, Is it worth it or should I just go cam/intake ect?

Anyway, thanks in advance for the input. I'll be a lurker here for a long time since I'm no expert!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heads and cam would get you close to 100hp, then add a 150 shot of nitrous on it. Methanol isnt necessary. On the heads and cam I would research a good combo from patriot heads and a good cam from thunder racing or comp cams. Then put a 150 shot or even a 100 shot on it. The motor heads and cam should make 450hp or so and with a 100 shot you should be in the 550 range. These motor can handle 150hp shot all day long. You wont hurt anything as long as you have enough fuel pump to supply the engine and have it tuned. Good luck, Josh
Old 07-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Heads and cam were not really what I wanted to change, like I said I didnt really want to take it to the point of being a drag car full time, I was really lookin to just add the N20, and from the reading I've done their saying "methanol/ water" helps to preserve the engine somewhat from the N20. 150 shot would probably do everything I want, But I'm a little worried l'll burn it up.

The main thing was I really like the idea of being able to turn off the added power, so my girlfriend can handle it, its pretty fast for her now, heads and cam may just make it to much for her. Well and me too lol!

Its so solid in performance now I'd be sick if I couldn't drive it on the street with something to radical! I just raced a friend of mine on his bike(650 Kawi) and was able to run pretty well with him to about 110, when He ran out of gear, I still had 3500 rpm's to go lol!

As for the methanol/water, its really not neccesary? I won't hurt the motor?
Old 07-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Teching In

I'm running a walboro 255 lph pump now, I run roughly 58 to 60 PSI fuel pressure, With an imediate drop off of about 2 to 4 PSI when the throttle is cracked full open from idle! As of yet I have no issues with the pressure, I'm thinking of upgrading the line diameter to stabilize that initial drop off some. Is that a suitable pressure for the N20 I'm thinkin? or do I need more?
Old 07-20-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Heads and cam is very streetable. Its not going to be too radical. But if you want to leave it pretty much stock and just spray it then thats up to you. I dont know anyone that sprays a 150 shot and uses water/ methanol injection. I only know people using that setup on FI setups. I spray 150 on my car quite often and dont have any problems. I also run the walbro 255 with a corvette filter/ regulator. I have put about 5 bottle through my engine on the 150 shot. I use the timing tuner to pull 3 degrees of timing out of it. Also run a tr6 plug. Otherwise you should be fine.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Heads and cam is very streetable. Its not going to be too radical. But if you want to leave it pretty much stock and just spray it then thats up to you. I dont know anyone that sprays a 150 shot and uses water/ methanol injection. I only know people using that setup on FI setups. I spray 150 on my car quite often and dont have any problems. I also run the walbro 255 with a corvette filter/ regulator. I have put about 5 bottle through my engine on the 150 shot. I use the timing tuner to pull 3 degrees of timing out of it. Also run a tr6 plug. Otherwise you should be fine.

Hey thanks for the input, I'm probably not going to do this til winter. i'm also planning a shift kit in the trans, just to stiffin up the shifts, I got to be somewhat carefull though to much power and to hard of a shift will destroy my T 2 rear end, but it would get me close to 10.00 in the 1/4 mile lol!

By the way NICE CAR!
Old 07-20-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks man. You could window switch the nitrous to cut off during shifts and would help with saving the rearend.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Yeah I was kind of thinkin like that about the window switch, in my case I got 2 horn buttons on the steering wheel, I could just use one of those as the control switch!

Then I planned on a master shut off switch to prevent anyone from using it by accident!

Quick Reply: Looking For Opinions On How To Get 150 Hp!