Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0L & 6L90 in Jeep TJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6.0L & 6L90 in Jeep TJ

I've been working on this project sporadically for the past few months, but I'm about to the point where I need to get my engine components together.

More information than you'll ever want to know is in this thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=624927

From what I can gather, the big issue is getting the 6L90 to run outside of the original vehicle. This particular engine/trans came out of a '08 GMC Sierra H.D. It has 2 miles on it. I guess it fell off of the delivery truck or something. :-) It came from Schram's.

I have the OE harness and computer for the engine and I have purchased the HPTuners software. I also have an Atlas II transfer case already attached.

I spoke with the guys at Hotwire today and they said the only people they knew to successfully get this trans to work outside of the vehicle were EFI (www.efilive.com maybe). I'm going to get some specific pictures to send to Hotwire this evening to see if they can help.

Do you guys know of anyone who has had success with the 6L80 or 6L90 in a different vehicle?

thanks,
.brit
Old 07-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Launching!

this is gona be kool keep us updated i have a yj that i put a 5.3 4l603 and a fliped dana 300
Old 07-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Will do.

It looks like Speartech has a kit out for the 6L80 now. I left a message for them just now. I'll let you guys know what comes of that.

.b
Old 07-24-2008, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Speartech should be able to get you going. If you shearched here or looked at his website you can read up on his project truck,

Also talk with MAST Motorsports as they have a PU project runnig too you can check out on below link.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/947786-mast-motorsports-l92ho-6l90e-powered-1968-short-wide-hot-rod-power-tour-long-hauler.html

There are also at least 2 Gen 1 Camaro projects going on with one you can read about here. I have a 6L80 project with LS7 going in a 66 vette that was started back in Nov of last year that will be using Speartech harness myself.

I think if you get your drivetrain worked out your home free with your project.

While some seem to think gear ratios are not that great for street, I for one think they are great. I think 6L90 gearing will allow you to use a more streetable rearend ratio. A 3.73 ratio with the 1.15 4th gear ratio works out to having a 4.29 rearend with 1:1 ratio 4th gear ratio.

3.07 rearend with my project works out to having same 4th gear drive ratio as my 4L60 vette with 3.55 rearend, but in OD it will turn fewer RPM for better cruising.

Good luck.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see why you would have any problems all you need is the VSS in the transfer case. You already have the Stock ECM. It should think its in a GM truck! Lol..

The shift dent only has PRNDM1. You would need some way of shifting it in M if you wanted to. Plus you would need some kind of **** indicator as well.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Yeah, the shifter is my next concern.

I remember seeing the Speartech truck right when he posted that thread. That was about the time I bought the engine, so it was good to see them working on it.

Hopefully I'll hear some good news from them tomorrow. I'll let you guys know.

Thanks again for the info.

.b
Old 07-25-2008, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bmzero
Yeah, the shifter is my next concern.

I remember seeing the Speartech truck right when he posted that thread. That was about the time I bought the engine, so it was good to see them working on it.

Hopefully I'll hear some good news from them tomorrow. I'll let you guys know.

Thanks again for the info.

.b
If you want a TU/TD console shifer, I'd go to GM Powertrain website and look up truck and car models that use either 6L80/90 and go to dealships and see if you can find one that will work out for you. I'm using 08 GTO shifter myself due to price more than looks. Looks went to Caddy shifter.

I also think it will be possible to adapt one of the after market paddle shifter setups. It may not be all that complicated to do if you look at how the mfg TU/TD shifters work.

Now if I could just tell what gear I'm in when I move shifter to TU/TD position and what gear I was in last time I shifted, I'd be set. Haven't found indicator and wiring to do that yet...LOL. Don't even have a good visible place to put one either.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Teching In

I spoke with Speartech. They're going to strip down my factory harness. The price seems reasonable and they seem to have plenty of experience with this setup. I pulled it over the weekend and will probably box is up and ship it out next week.

I think I'm going with the Caddy shifter and hopefully will be able to wire up some paddles. That was one of my first goals when I bought the 6L90.

.b

Quick Reply: 6.0L & 6L90 in Jeep TJ