Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i found a solution for my cooling delima!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 03:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i found a solution for my cooling delima!

i have been contemplating how to do my cooling system. it was either chance it with a 4.3 radiator or spend tons of money on a aftermarket setup.

i have a background in offroad racing and i have decided that i will run a bed mounted radiator.

i am building a 97 s-10 with a 6liter lq9. i will more then likely be running without fenderwells, so i will run aluminized exhaust tubing on the outside of the frame rail. either both on one side or each on seperate sides, using normal hosing to make connections. should make for a tight and neat install.

i will cut the bed about 6 inchs or so starting from the front of the cab, and bend it down creating a "scoop" to grab air. just might go all the way across the bed. and i can add more material to increase size (lenght) of "scoop".

i will have radiator mounted in usual forward angle and will build a strong yet light weight frame to mount to, and use thin sheet metal or aluminum mounted from the sides out, and all around from front of bed to top of radiator to make sort of an enclosure so that all air being scooped up "HAS TO GO THROUGH RADIATOR" and will also mount dual fans for slow driving or what have you.

this will leave me with 100% of the front engine bay for whatever i want.

i will probably build a extremely efficient intake setup that will get LOTS of fresh cool air.

just might install my LARGE tranny cooler to one side for the best setup possible. or put it under bed and leave everything clean and clear from the front.

battery will be mounted in the rear also, reusing stock fuel tank.

i think this will be a great setup, and should keep this 500hp N/A lq9 extremely cool, and look sweet doing it.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please post pictures as you go. This sounds interesting.

Pat
Old 08-03-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Didn't I just read this same post at s10forum??
Also, with what you will spend on that system in time and money, current performance now has their cooling package specifically for the LSx engines in the S-10's.

http://currentperformance.com/Swap_Parts/Radiator.html
Old 08-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Launching!

yes i posted this on s10forum.

i have everything to build this setting in the shop. i figured why not be different. besided i am gathering parts for a turbo setup. and this would allow front mount with room to spare and a HUGE intercooler.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

i have a 6.0L 96 s10 with the 4.3L radiator with dual 12" front mounted fans, a 160 thermostate and I have no problems. It stays cool even in the 100 degree weather here in Memphis in stop n go trafic.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Launching!

question. will a 90 4.3 radiator fit into a 97 truck?

i have a like new one laying around. if you really think it will cool good, i may try leaving it up front.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by back in black
question. will a 90 4.3 radiator fit into a 97 truck?

i have a like new one laying around. if you really think it will cool good, i may try leaving it up front.
not real sure on the 90 model but i think they are almost identical in size, should be fine. I whent with the FLX-210 fans from summit, they fit good and there super thin
Old 08-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Launching!

i might try mounting the rad in front of the support. i can modify the hood latch.

will try something. but i like the bed mount idea. seems perty cool.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by back in black
i might try mounting the rad in front of the support. i can modify the hood latch.

will try something. but i like the bed mount idea. seems perty cool.
Good luck man with the build, let us know which way you whent and how well it works.

Quick Reply: i found a solution for my cooling delima!