Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truck intake on 1st gen fbody

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck intake on 1st gen fbody

Ok, so I was told it won't fit without a cowl hood. I have a firebird so that ones out lol. But, here's my question, how tight is it? Anyone have any pics from the side of how much it sticks up? Or, any motor mounts better than others as far as hood clearance?
Old 08-07-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

The truck intake fits under my '72 Nova stock hood, only needed about 3/4" 'clearancing' on one of the beauty-cover's plastic mounting bosses (needless to say, the hood wouldn't fit with the plastic cover on the engine). Not sure about the similarity of crossmember-to-underhood heights between Camaro's and Nova's though...
Old 08-07-2008, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Hmm, what motor mounts did you use? Available conversion ones or custom?

Also, what accesories did you use on the nova? Stock truck or fbody?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used the Carshop/S&P mount adapter plates, which I think I used upside down, but I can't remember which way is the right way up for those. I used SBC short & wide motor mounts.

I used stock truck accessories, alternator clearance was fine on the stock Nova hood.

Last edited by frojoe; 08-07-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a picture on mine with the car intake. I have a truck manifold, I will get a measurement to see what the difference is if you need it.
The water pump is the part that will determine your accessories drive parts, The hose in the truck water pump angles up at a pretty steep angle and I decided to go with an F car setup.
Attached Thumbnails truck intake on 1st gen fbody-new_engine.jpg   truck intake on 1st gen fbody-engine-left.jpg  
Old 08-07-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
The water pump is the part that will determine your accessories drive parts, The hose in the truck water pump angles up at a pretty steep angle and I decided to go with an F car setup.
This is true, however with some bendy radiator hoses I still managed to get the top hose quite a bit lower than the intake top, throttlebody, and alternator.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That true, I just hate the flex hose but it will work. I had intake tubing to worry about as well.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
That true, I just hate the flex hose but it will work. I had intake tubing to worry about as well.
I hated and still hate it for that generic polished billet parts-catalog small-block look, but I knew it would 100% work, would be easy to fit, and be the only way I could contort it around the intake tube and across to the waterpump outlet.

I didn't include the uber-cheese chrome covers for the ends/hose clamps, and I am going to spraybomb it flat black.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by frojoe
I used the Carshop/S&P mount adapter plates, which I think I used upside down, but I can't remember which way is the right way up for those. I used SBC short & wide motor mounts.

I used stock truck accessories, alternator clearance was fine on the stock Nova hood.
Got any underhood pics? I'd love to see how everything fits and looks? Any clearance issues with the steering box?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

nova and camaro subframes are the same of that year are the same so it shouldn't be a big difference.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by merriman44
nova and camaro subframes are the same of that year are the same so it shouldn't be a big difference.
I know that, but I'm wondering as far as hoodline, core support/radiator, inner fenders...
And as for the steering box I've heard of issues, and he never mentioned either way, possibly he went to a rack? Figured it was worth asking.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bottledbird68
I know that, but I'm wondering as far as hoodline, core support/radiator, inner fenders...
Haha thanks, that was going to be my response. The Camaro hood seems to have more downward slope and curve towards the front than the Nova hood, so I'm unsure as to how similar the underhood clearance is between the two.

Originally Posted by bottledbird68
And as for the steering box I've heard of issues, and he never mentioned either way, possibly he went to a rack? Figured it was worth asking.
As for steering, I think Nova and Camaro should be pretty damn close. I used a power steering box and the only worry you have is header clearance, the truck block has the same clearance/fitment as the LS1 would in that respect.

Also, I do have a bunch of pics that I took recently, but my buddy still has the camera cable, so I'll get that back asap and upload the engine bay pics..
Old 08-08-2008, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by frojoe
As for steering, I think Nova and Camaro should be pretty damn close. I used a power steering box and the only worry you have is header clearance, the truck block has the same clearance/fitment as the LS1 would in that respect.

Also, I do have a bunch of pics that I took recently, but my buddy still has the camera cable, so I'll get that back asap and upload the engine bay pics..
I'm most likely going to use flipped manifolds for the exhaust as I'm planning to do a turbo setup too.
And if you can get some pics that would be greatly appreciated. I want to decide if I need to be accessory bracket and intake shopping or not lol. Thank you.

Quick Reply: truck intake on 1st gen fbody